Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Click Clack When Cold

andrews65

Hi, I have a 2008 Focus 1.6 Zetec automatic, had it for two months.

I've noticed that when the engine is running from cold, it produces a kind of click clack, or high frequency metallic 'slap' sound. It dies down when the engine has warmed up.

Any idea on what this could be, and if I should be concerned?

thanks, Andrew.

if its a petrol im hedging a bet on the variable valve timing?

Its like stef said the vvt its likely injector noise its normal or the vvt as the oil heats and thins it goes away the new 11 plates do it but they have double the soundproofing inside a thick wad under the bonnet and an undertray so its barely noticeable

Its petrol. Thanks for the replies. Hopefully not a dumb question, but whats variable valve timing?

Its petrol. Thanks for the replies. Hopefully not a dumb question, but whats variable valve timing?

1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT 115 hp info :

The new engine – rated at 115PS – uses twin variable camshaft timing to generate more power than the 1.6-litre Duratec 100PS engine in the Focus range. Although torque is only marginally higher – 155 Nm at 4,200 rpm compared to 150 Nm at 4,000 rpm for the current 1.6-litre Duratec – the strength of the twin variable camshaft timing system is in the significant broadening of the torque band. At 2,000 rpm, the Duratec Ti-VCT engine already offers almost the same torque as at its peak level around 4,000 rpm. The torque band is very broad, similar to that of powerful turbo engines. Overall, these torquey characteristics mean that the Duratec Ti-VCT is a very responsive and powerful small engine, yet it consumes less fuel due to the efficiencies VCT delivers.

The Duratec Ti-VCT is capable of continuously varying the timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts for optimal airflow, controlled by the Engine Control Unit (ECU). oil pressure-driven rotor units adjust the angle of the camshaft relative to the cam sprockets to alter valve opening. At low engine speed, the ECU leaves the camshafts in their default position for optimal start-up performance. As engine speed increases, the ECU adjusts cam timing for better airflow, ensuring optimal performance and economy.

The new engine is expected to reduce fuel consumption by nearly 5 per cent compared with an equivalent non-Ti-VCT unit. Ford will release more information about the engine's availability and technical specifications later in 2004.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My girlfriend bought herself a 1.6 mk2 ford focus LX last year. Twice we have had problems with water sitting above the spark plugs which has now been sorted. After the second time i replaced the plugs and ht leads and it ran really roughly, and cut out. it wouldn't start or run unless I kept my foot on the accelerator for a good 3 mins and let the engine warm up.

It now starts first time but feels very sluggish as if its down on power and the engine sounds very tappety when cold or under acceleration. The local mechanic seems to think its the VVT? but considering the nearest Ford garage is a good hours drive away it's going to be difficult for me to to take it in.

No fault codes recently apart from a missfire when the water was sitting on the spark plugs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT 115 hp info :

The new engine – rated at 115PS – uses twin variable camshaft timing to generate more power than the 1.6-litre Duratec 100PS engine in the Focus range. Although torque is only marginally higher – 155 Nm at 4,200 rpm compared to 150 Nm at 4,000 rpm for the current 1.6-litre Duratec – the strength of the twin variable camshaft timing system is in the significant broadening of the torque band. At 2,000 rpm, the Duratec Ti-VCT engine already offers almost the same torque as at its peak level around 4,000 rpm. The torque band is very broad, similar to that of powerful turbo engines. Overall, these torquey characteristics mean that the Duratec Ti-VCT is a very responsive and powerful small engine, yet it consumes less fuel due to the efficiencies VCT delivers.

The Duratec Ti-VCT is capable of continuously varying the timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts for optimal airflow, controlled by the Engine Control Unit (ECU). Oil pressure-driven rotor units adjust the angle of the camshaft relative to the cam sprockets to alter valve opening. At low engine speed, the ECU leaves the camshafts in their default position for optimal start-up performance. As engine speed increases, the ECU adjusts cam timing for better airflow, ensuring optimal performance and economy.

The new engine is expected to reduce fuel consumption by nearly 5 per cent compared with an equivalent non-Ti-VCT unit. Ford will release more information about the engine's availability and technical specifications later in 2004.

Is that technology used on any other Ford petrol engines other than the 1.6.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club