Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 7 Fiesta Zetec S Intermittent Light Steering Issue

JLforddriver

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone will have some insight.

I have a Fiesta Zetec S, which I've owned for 2 months, registered June 11.

Its a great car and previous to this I've owned the Y reg version and a Focus.

The issue is the resistance in the steering wheel goes light intermittently at various speeds. I know the steering is electronically power assisted and has a variable assist depending upon speed. But this is is happening above ten mile an hour. I will be driving along fine with firm resistance in the wheel when all of a sudden it will go light in one direction, I then act to correct and over correct as the resistance in the opposite direction is normal. This is becoming very unsettling particualrly on the motorway. It has also happened intermittently when braking and over bumpy roads, causing further issues when attempting to correct and resultantly not travelling in a straight line.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I took it to my local dealership, who only drove it for a mile before informing me there was no issue.

I've had a look around the web, apprantly similar symptoms were reported on some Focus models in the States last year, although these only appear after the car had been driven for over an hour, in my case it can be any journey length. The threads suggest an issue with the EPAS sensor and rack.

Any assistance very greatfully received, as I love the car but am loosingmy confidence in its steering and Ford.

• 8 months later...

Hi jon. i have a s1600 reg 2011 and i have the exact same problem... seem to notice more when engine cold etc. Everytime i take to dealer they think im raving mad as they never seem to see an issue with it.... I too at this moment in time have not been able to get it sorted but you have confirmed my suspicion that it is infact electronically power assisted.

Has anyone else come across this and preferabley resolved this as we cant be the only 2 lol.

Thanks for reading.

• 8 years later...

I have a 2016 STLine and my steering keeps going heavy on the right hand side. It's not constant just sporadic. Does anybody have any ideas please ?

Thanks

Pamela

(Scotland)

1 hour ago, Freckles1907 said:

my steering keeps going heavy on the right hand side

Hi Pamela, how do you know its heavy on the right hand side ? Do you mean its heavy to turn right ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club