Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Courtesy Light, Boot Light And Glove Box Light Upgrade

koosh34

Hi all,

First post so be kind :)

Been looking around at all the different touches that people have been making to their Focus's and seeing how good they looked decided I needed to have a go at some of them! Going to start off by sorting out the interior lighting. Would really appreciate some pointers on a couple of things..

Boot light - I've ordered these LEDs to replace the poor excuse for a bootlight, just wanted to double check they the right ones? Planning on using Lenny's excellent guide to add an extra bootlight.

Courtesy light - Mine being a lowly Sport spec I only get the single courtesy light (not the one with the map lights) and was wondering if I would be able to replace it with this? What LEDs would I need to replace each one with? Also any pointers as to how to go about it would really appreciate it.

Glove box - Again just wondering which LED I would need to replace it with and any tips on how to go about it?

Thanks for reading

Hi mate, and welcome aboard!

Those lights should fit the boot yeah, in terms of base fit anyway. I'd just worry they might be a bit too long for the plastic lenses maybe. The only other downside to them is that there'll be a lot of 'wasted' light, so might be better going with a panel light. Some of the guys have got the ones which come with multiple adapter connections, so you can wire them up to any fitting really. Stoney871 (Clive) posted something about this recently on someone's mod thread I think. I don't have a link to hand at the minute though.

On the courtesy light, I'll try and find you a link for a more modern one. That one you linked to will work, but might have a bit of trouble with the map light bulbs and their polarity when putting LEDs in them.

The lights you've ordered might fit the golvebox (it's a 501 also but think it's a sideways-facing fixing too, so again there might be wasted light and length issues) but would probably be ideal in your front footwell lights...have you the holders already installed?

PS Is 'Kenny' actually Lenny's evil twin?!

Thanks for responding :)

I chose that one for the boot based on Lenny's guide but yes you are right since all the LED's don't point down.. Might be able to do something with some tin foil to reflect some of that light back down and out? Of course those panel lights are probably going to be cheaper - I'll take a look around for that post you mentioned.

On the courtesy light, I'll try and find you a link for a more modern one

The lights you've ordered for the boot would probably be ideal in your footwell lights...have you the holders already installed?

I've not actually looked I'll see what I can see this evening - good idea. If they aren't there are they easy to fit?

PS Is 'Kenny' actually Lenny's evil twin?!

Ooops!

Was scanning eBay there for the interior light so our posts have overlapped there...

here's a link for the light unit Clive recommended....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140758962598

As for the footwells, luckily mine were already installed so not sure about difficulties of retro-fitting, I just had to put a bulb in. Take look when you get a chance though, great wee upgrade if it's just a case of plugging in a bulb.

Great thanks, and those will all happily fit the focus? Like the idea of the sunglasses holder, presumably I'd need to do something to the roof lining to get the clearance for it to work?

Sorry, should have clarified that part...those are the holders from the Mk3 Mondeo. I don't know if even with cutting the roof lining any of them would fit as there may not be enough clearance between the lining and roof. I was just linking them as the light itself will work no probs and they're a similar price to the one you linked. The unit will just pop out of those frames and clip into yours. Could re-sell the holder/frame, or just bin it, but you're not really losing much.

Up to yourself really, I prefer the appearance of those lights over the older type that you linked, but either will work anyway. Think they're all the same across most of the relatively recent Ford models.

Sorry, should have clarified that part...those are the holders from the Mk3 Mondeo. I don't know if even with cutting the roof lining any of them would fit as there may not be enough clearance between the lining and roof. I was just linking them as the light itself will work no probs and they're a similar price to the one you linked. The unit will just pop out of those frames and clip into yours. Could re-sell the holder/frame, or just bin it, but you're not really losing much.

Up to yourself really, I prefer the appearance of those lights over the older type that you linked, but either will work anyway. Think they're all the same across most of the relatively recent Ford models.

Ah ok I'm with you now. Might be worth getting the one with the holder just to see if it may fit. From the pics though it looks like there are 4 black tabs around the sunglasses bit which look like they hook into the roof. Since the Focus has the option of a sunglasses holder instead of the roof handle suspect it might not be there.

Sorry about all the questions.. Which LED's would I need for the courtesy light? Think I'm noticing a trend do they all use those T10 connectors?

Would I use the panel one in the glove compartment as well as the boot? Otherwise am I right in saying (ideally) I'd need one similar to the ones I originally bought for the boot but with LEDs only on one side (would I have seen them referenced as a "wedge" shape somewhere?)?

Thanks again

Don't worry about the questions mate, the forum is always here to help if and when it can.

The holders from the Mondeo, really doubt if it'd work, and you're always takin a risk cutting the headlining, but as they're in and around a tenner anyway you're not really losing anything, so was just showing you other options to broaden your search. I'd far prefer that one to be honest, had it on my old Mondeo, because I can't fit any shades in that 'glasses holder' in my Focus!

For that type of courtesy light I linked to, you need a small festoon bulb for the middle light, 38mm I think. Something like this should do the job, as all light is facing downwards. Same bulbs I think will go into your number plate lights on the rear to give a crisper look there also. (Might be wrong on the exact size there, but there's always only a few mm difference, so most can be made to fit between the pins.)

The maplights then at either side, the courtesy lights behind the sunvisors (if installed), the glovebox light, the front footwells (again, if installed) and the boot light all require a T10 aka W5W wedge type bulb. This is where the 'wedge' reference comes in I think, as they're a little wedge type fitting that pushes into its holder.

I can't remember the fixture in the glove box off the top of my head, but it may be similar to the boot in that a bulb which focus all light downwards might be better.

You can see yourself there's an infinite amount of LEDs available, so they can vary a bit in terms of whiteness/blueness, but most of the SMD type ones should give a nice crisp light. It'll transform your interior! Take a scan of the forum for people's opinions and recommendations of specific bulbs/sellers.

The holders from the Mondeo, really doubt if it'd work, and you're always takin a risk cutting the headlining, but as they're in and around a tenner anyway you're not really losing anything, so was just showing you other options to broaden your search. I'd far prefer that one to be honest, had it on my old Mondeo, because I can't fit any shades in that 'glasses holder' in my Focus!

Been reading around this over lunch and it looks like quite a few Fiesta owners have fitted the Mondeo sunglasses holder (). It looks like all 3 have a hollow curved bit on the roof (just been out to check and mine has it too) so looks like it might work. Wonder if anyone has tried for the Focus? Risky cutting the lining but once I've had a good look I might give it a go. Will report back if/when I do.

You can see yourself there's an infinite amount of LEDs available, so they can vary a bit in terms of whiteness/blueness, but most of the SMD type ones should give a nice crisp light. It'll transform your interior! Take a scan of the forum for people's opinions and recommendations of specific bulbs/sellers.

I'll definately take a good look around before buying anymore, would be great if I could use the ones I bought in the footwell though. From what I've read the holder is always in place just depends on my luck if the wiring is.

Fingers crossed for you then mate, in both instances. Would like to see the sunglasses holder fitted so keep us posted indeed if you ever go for it. I put a rear interior light in the roof of my mondeo and even though it was a vervy task cutting the lining, I just made sure I was 100% confident with my measurements and it was dead easy once I started!

Was going to comment but I see Gforce has pretty much got you covered already.

Just to confirm a few things. The foot-wells, boot light, map lights AND glove box light all take a t10 501 w5w 'wedge bulb'

So something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...5058283&afsrc=1

Would be ideal for the foot-wells lol and should spread the light nicely. They a lot bigger than the ones I got.

As for the boot and glove box light, I reckon they'd be way too big, definitely too big for the glove box anyway.

And as Gforce says, most of it will be wasted light and you want an LED panel.

I can better the one linked though with this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

I've got one either side of my boot, with it what you do is completely remove the lens cover for the boot light, plug this in, and stick it over the hole in place of the lens cover.

If you fit a second boot light and have one each side like I have, it will give this effect:

DSCN0830.jpg

Results speak for emself. So just imagine it in white or whatever colour you go for.

For the glove box, use one of the same pads, and cause of the length of wire you can stick it actually inside the glove box for maximum light. It will give this effect:

2012-09-25172819.jpg

As for the new courtesy light units, the ones Gforce linked are the same as what I was going to. I have the same one with the intrusion sensors but without the sunglasses holder. My car came with a sunglasses holder instead of a driver side grab handle, but it's too small to fit my sunglasses in anyway lol.

With all the LEDs I've got in my car at the moment, it currently looks like this:

DSCN0828.jpg

Thanks for the back-up there Charlie, I'm sure the links will be much appreciated. Tempted to get those panels myself for the boot and glovebox.

Agreed on the 'sunglasses holder' too, completely useless for me!

As I was saying to the OP too, any of those ones lights I linked to that come with the frame and sunglasses holder etc from the Mk3 Mondeo, they just pop out of that frame and will fit straight into the standard Focus one. Would like to see the OP's results though if he decides to have a stab at fitting the frame/panel to his roof lining!

I'm LED'd all over too, inside and out, apart from the passenger courtesy light behind the sun-visor. The missus wanted a normal bulb left in there for some 'natural' light for using the vanity mirror. I suggested better results for both of us if I didn't put any bulb in there at all...she didn't see the funny side (no pun intended).

The panels are the best job for lighting the glove box n boot. One thing I would say though, is the wedge adapter is a bit hit n miss cause the wire can move about, so say you'll plug it in n it'll light up, but when trying to position it to stick it down, the wire will move n lose the connection so the light will go off. So what you wanna do is put a blob of silicone sealant or a thick superglue in the wedge adapter so that the wire will stay in position.

Lol if you look at the photo of me glove box, you'll see my sunglasses case. That's how wide my sunglasses are cause they the type that wrap round your eyes, so they having a giraffe if they think they'll fit in the sunglasses holder.

Yup I know the courtesy light with the storage compartment is from the mk3 mondeo, was looking at em before. Tempted to get one n have a go at fitting it myself but I'm really not that fussed lol cause I dunno when I'd use the extra storage but may come in handy at some point. Don't even use my dash storage though.

But yeah if the OP wants it he may as well get it n it should fit, if it don't then he can easily pop the light out as you said.

I ain't put LED's in the vanity mirror lights for the same reason of the Missus wanting it.

Random thing I discovered now though, is that after owning the car nearly a year, I've only just realized yesterday that I've got a second courtesy light in the back for rear passengers. Missus never noticed it either. First thing she said is 'you'll have to get another blue LED now won't you'

What colour you went for?

Good tip on the silicone for the panels.

My glasses cases are similar so know how you feel. I did find the holder on the Mondeo really handy though.

Haha, that's crazy about the rear light! Has it just been switched off this whole time? I actually thought I had mentioned it in my last reply but on re-reading it I don't seem to have! Noticed from the pic there didn't seem to be one on so I meant to ask if you were tempted to retro-fit it but you clearly don't need to now! I put one in the rear of my Mondeo and it made a massive difference, but have one already in the Focus too.

I just went for 'white' with mine. Should really get some pics up.

Lmao you should have seen my face though. I was crouched down outside in the driver side door way removing my OBD pocket last night when something in the back on the ceiling caught me eye n I was like what the !Removed! hells that lol.

Went to investigate and it was a nice little surprise. Just shows though as the driver, when do you ever really sit in the back of your car to notice? Been turned off the whole time so I'd never have known.

I text the Missus to tell her n next thing she put her coat n shoes on n come outside in the cold for a mooh cause she didnt know how she'd never seen it either.

Showing your missus the roof lights in the back seat?

Any excuse eh? ;)

Thanks for all the advice/pics Charlie, appreciate it. Those panels really light the whole boot up! These would be the white equivalent? Real cheap from hong kong but might see if I can find a UK seller if it isn't much more (easier to return if they don't work/stop working after a while).

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c5e32d73

Also thanks for the heads up on them often having a flakey connection, sure I've got something to sort that out.

So I checked for the footwell light and the plastic moulding is there but no socket or wiring :( is that going to be much of a pain to install?

Also think I'll go for this one with the sunglasses, any ideas what that little black plastic bit with the ball on the end is (top left of the pic)?

$(KGrHqR,!nQFBZzGpkgpBQZ0b6eLcQ~~60_12.JPG

does anyone know if the wiring is present for the rear courtesy light and the vanity lights? i have a '59 zetec but only have the main courtesy light. Would attempt to fit the extra lights if I take my brave pills and the wiring was already there.

Thanks for all the advice/pics Charlie, appreciate it. Those panels really light the whole boot up! These would be the white equivalent? Real cheap from hong kong but might see if I can find a UK seller if it isn't much more (easier to return if they don't work/stop working after a while).

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c5e32d73

Also thanks for the heads up on them often having a flakey connection, sure I've got something to sort that out.

So I checked for the footwell light and the plastic moulding is there but no socket or wiring :( is that going to be much of a pain to install?

Also think I'll go for this one with the sunglasses, any ideas what that little black plastic bit with the ball on the end is (top left of the pic)?

$(KGrHqR,!nQFBZzGpkgpBQZ0b6eLcQ~~60_12.JPG

Yes those are what you want in white. You won't be disappointed. Yes theres UK sellers, think they'll be about 3quid each though so like twice the price, still cheap though. Like I said with the flakey connection, just a blob of sealant or glue in the wedge adapter and your sorted.

That little black ball is a mounting point for a Parrot bluetooth Microphone, it's only held on with a sticky pad and will peel off.

If stuck on at all...mine is a little clip fitting which I have at the top of my driver side A-pillar.

post-30295-0-44768700-1352821511_thumb.j

Steven, I'm not sure about the wiring looms on the facelifts, but retro-fitting interior lights is dead easy as it's just a matter of tapping into the existing loom if need be. The bravery part is required for the roof lining cutting, but even this is straightforward if you take a lot of care. Keep in mind, it's easy to take an extra little bit off if your initial cut is too small - not so easy to put it back on if you cut it too big!

If stuck on at all...mine is a little clip fitting which I have at the top of my driver side A-pillar.

post-30295-0-44768700-1352821511_thumb.j

Steven, I'm not sure about the wiring looms on the facelifts, but retro-fitting interior lights is dead easy as it's just a matter of tapping into the existing loom if need be. The bravery part is required for the roof lining cutting, but even this is straightforward if you take a lot of care. Keep in mind, it's easy to take an extra little bit off if your initial cut is too small - not so easy to put it back on if you cut it too big!

cheers mate, i always knew that it if need be I could splice into the courtesy light loom, but my knowledge of electronics and splicing/crimping/soldering skills are non-existent! if it was a plug and play job i'd definitely give it a go though! I keep meaning to remove the light and have a peek at the wiring but keep forgetting to. My girlfriend is off for a long weekend though this weekend and I plan on giving the car a day long clean and prep for winter (including an attempt at a few stone chip repairs :unsure: ) so i'll have a good investigation into what's hiding behind the roof lining.

Anything to give you guys a laugh.

Saw the posts about the rear courtesy light so I had to go and check, didn't I

Sure enough I have it and it was working. I had a spare blue LED festoon from when I did the front, so, out with the old bulb - can't find that any more so will have to wait for daylight - fiddled around offering up the LED, dropped a couple of times and then bingo, it disappeared through that gaping hole into the headlining. Gone for ever so I hope it doesn't rattle.

Trouble was that that was 38mm and the holder needs 42mm.

42mm blue ordered but I will bung up that hole before I try to fit.

Fiddly job, can't hold bulb properly to offer it up, and I don't have fat fingers

Anything to give you guys a laugh.

Saw the posts about the rear courtesy light so I had to go and check, didn't I

Sure enough I have it and it was working. I had a spare blue LED festoon from when I did the front, so, out with the old bulb - can't find that any more so will have to wait for daylight - fiddled around offering up the LED, dropped a couple of times and then bingo, it disappeared through that gaping hole into the headlining. Gone for ever so I hope it doesn't rattle.

Trouble was that that was 38mm and the holder needs 42mm.

42mm blue ordered but I will bung up that hole before I try to fit.

Fiddly job, can't hold bulb properly to offer it up, and I don't have fat fingers

You mean you had a rear courtesy light and never noticed either mate?