Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hid Conversion

mickflan

Good Morning all,

I need a bit of advice. The wife has bought me a HID conversion kit for christmas the kit is a VIPHID HI/LOW 6000K will these go straight into my existing headlights and are they any good? dont want to start drilling and cutting anything without some advice.

Thanks for looking and seasons greetings to all. My car is the 2.0 16v soos facelift model.

Thanks .... Mick

mick, merry xmas. i dont have a mk1 like yourself but have a look on youtube - you should find a decent guide on how to fit them.

Good Morning all,

I need a bit of advice. The wife has bought me a HID conversion kit for christmas the kit is a VIPHID HI/LOW 6000K will these go straight into my existing headlights and are they any good? dont want to start drilling and cutting anything without some advice.

Thanks for looking and seasons greetings to all. My car is the 2.0 16v soos facelift model.

Thanks .... Mick

Hi mick,

Your best option would be to purchase a second set of headlights from eBay and fit the HID's to them, and keep your existing units for MOT time because any aftermarket HID Kit will fail your MOT although 6000kelvin is road legal they require self leveling and washers on the headlights to pass an MOT.

Also just to inform anything over 6000kelvin is not road legal and would attract a blue light.

Next best thing to HID is Osram Cool blue which are 5400kelvin

Then for fogs or parking bulbs theirs cree T10 or H11 etc. But i wouldnt use cree for headlights because although they are 6000k and replicate HID they are not very good at throwing out the light for driving over 60mph

Hi there merry xmas. I was looking for hid conversions but decided to go for osram brighter bulbs instead. The of a second set of headlamps would be advisable due to new legistation.......someone was obviously bored and thought about hitting the motorist again.

Take a look at this

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/tp/hid-kits-new-legislation-2012/

If you manage to get them fitted soon get a pic up be good to see it when its done

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies, so basically its not legal to have them on the car dont want tot be messing about changing and worrying im gonna get pulled for it.

It does say hi/lo so i pressume it does have the high low facillity but after reading about it seems the lens isnt correct for this kind of light. The kits is a 600k so that bit is ok, i will speak to the local mot place tomorrow see what they say Mrs isnt gonna be best pleased lol.

Mine went through an mot without a problem, and the so called new legislation was well in place by then. Personally I'd just fit them, its really easy to just remove the bulb and fit the standard ones back in if you wanted to for an mot, then switch them back. As long as they are aligned correctly they won't dazzle other drivers, and shouldn't attract unwanted attention from your friendly local bobbys. The 6k bulbs you have are the most common bulbs, with the best light range in white light. Once you've had them in, you won't want to go back.

you cant align them properly as the lens is not designed for hid lights so the beam spread is all wrong and still dazzles other drivers im afraid trust me i get dazzled almost daily from the !Removed! things

I have no problem with mine, but saying that, mine are only a single element bulb, I do remember on the fiesta, that used the bi xenon bulbs, the beam on that was a little wonky no matter what I did. The ones I have were adjusted up no problem using the MOT testing light thingy, beam is spot on.

I couldnt say if the ones ive seen were single element or not mate mainly pugeots and vws

I did say a while ago the mot rules would change the problem with removing at mot time is simple my cousin got hit with this one he put his standard lenses in for the mot and passed then switched back to i believe 600k hids he was randomly pulled well truth is the lights dazzled the cops they checked the lights out and then questioned the mot certificate and he was presented with a slip of some sort that indicated what they had found which wad to be submitted to the tester meaning he couldnt remove the lights they were obviously a fail and he had to get the proper lights fitted at the mot station and a retest done then go back to the police station and present the fail slip and the new retest certificate then they fined and reported him for driving with modifications that meant he was driving without a valid mot he got 3points on his licence for that the mot was £35 the retest £35 fitting of the lights which the garage must do £45 the fine £150 and the 3points has upped his insurance premium is it really worth it

I have been looking around for some headlights that will give them a legal twist as mine is the facelift model will the mk2 headlights fit also will the st170 lights fit.

Thanks ...Mick

as long as the headlamp unit is stamped and marked for ece98 regualtions and not for the use a halogen light unit a ece 48 regulation then the hids will be fine.

The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory. since ece regulation 98 applies to new vehicles you wont find an ece 98 lens if you did you then have to have it tested as it says above by the hid supplier given most hid kits arent valeo etc and cheap chinese units they wont test it

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

Although you may be correct on most of your points Artscot, I must point out that driving without a valid MOT is a 'non endorseble offence, so if he did get 3 points, alot of ppl got it wrong. And my car went through its mot, without even an advisory, I even questioned the lights, and was told they were fine. So I guess this is still a cloudy subject...

sorry because his mot was not valid neither was his insurance so he was done for driving whilst uninsured and without a valid mot certificate

sorry because his mot was not valid neither was his insurance so he was done for driving whilst uninsured and without a valid mot certificate

Exactly right.

The lights were not the endorsement offence but the fact that the insurance and Mot were invalidated by having non road legal lights was.

Well it looks like i need to try and purchase some xenon headlights anyone now how hard it is to fit washers i have to 2.0 so its not to different from a st170 i presume i have the self levelling i have the button that moves the lights up and down gonna be an interesting project now this lol

Self levelling is not the button that moves them self levelling have sensors on The front or rear axle that automatically adjusts the head lights in relation to the angle etc of the car

Artscot,

Thanks for that i shall search around see what i can find will the bumper off a st170 fit my car it is the facelift model and had the auto climate control same as the st.

they have the washers in them so its a starting point.

Could be easier to put em on the bay and just get some angel eyes lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

After much digging around i think i am going to do it the legal way but its gonna take a while because it isnt cheap lol.

I have sorced a headlight levelling kit from a st170 which i think should fit onto mine is there any pics or write ups on how it is done.

Thanks .... Mick

This is a subject that does the rounds on just about every motoring site I visit. It is a very much unclear as to what is legal and what is not. However, the legislative proposal that I have read suggests that the colour temperature of the headlight should match that of standard equipment when the car was new. That would stop any modification (even bulbs!) in a heart beat. I simply can't see this as enforceable, but there you go.

What I will say is that dazzling headlights, or a beam that doesn't meet the correct pattern or has 'scatter' is most definitely illegal (HID or not). Besides that, they are distrating for other motorists and downright dangerous. I've noticed a massive increase in aftermarket kits fitted to vehicles recently, and I actually welcome any enforceable legislation to stop this as most of the time the owners just don't give a damn about what adverse effect their car is having on other motorists.

Unfortunately in some ways, that might hit the projector headlight proper conversions some more savvy motorists are performing, and on the whole these are very good. Sadly that's the way of these things.