Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm An Idiot - Parking Brake Questions!

Mental_Atom

Does the Fiesta not have an audible warning if you drive with the handbrake on? My 8 year old Citroën did

Does the Fiesta not have an audible warning if you drive with the handbrake on? My 8 year old Citroën did

It does - only kicks in one you get up to speed though (10+ I think)

The cable itself does not stretch,clevis pins,nylon bushings,brake linings etc wear thus giving slackness in the cable that needs adjusting to stop too much travel on the hand brake lever.You cannot exert enough force on a steel handbrake cable to stretch it by pulling on the handbrake.

Hmm, you obviously haven't seen how I put the handbrake on....don't want my car rolling off down the hill! :lol:

But that's interesting, I hadn't thought of it like that. I've measured old cables before though, and they are definitely longer than the new ones.

Hmm no, I'll see on my way into work this morning, there aren't too many hills lol... But if it's not it'll be because of the cable needing adjustment/brake shoes glazed as everyone else has said :)

Hill hold has nothing to do with the cable btw. It uses the hydraulic system like the footbrake does. :)

Hmm, I think I might book it for the inspection service as I've almost hit 1000m, and mention that the breaks were creaking slightly (which they were doing before yesterday anyway). That way they'll check it and I get the inspection done too... One Bill rather than 2 (and in the service, I guess they'd check the brakes anyway).

My handbrake has always made that noise, needs to be at about 90 degrees for it to actually hold the car lol, never worried about it, only one bolt to adjust the handbrake and make it tight again, not that I plan on getting under the car anytime soon to do it.

Did this myself yesterday, wouldn't worry about it unless there's obviously a problem.

Did this myself yesterday, wouldn't worry about it unless there's obviously a problem.

Lol, it sounds stupid but it's a surprisingly easy thing to do! Glad I'm not the only one ;)

Okay so it's booked in for Wednesday for its 1500 mile (ish - it's only done 1000 but he didnt seem bothered) inspection service thingy and also to look at the brakes! Apparently they'll check it all for free :D Not bad since I didnt even buy the car from them. Guy was grumpy though, probably remembers me trying to haggle with crazy low quotes lol and going elsewhere.

Last couple of days my front brakes (well, something in the front of the car) have started creaking when I come to a stop on a hill which is a bit concerning... can't see what woulda caused that though. Doesn't happen on the flat :wacko:

The cable itself does not stretch,clevis pins,nylon bushings,brake linings etc wear thus giving slackness in the cable that needs adjusting to stop too much travel on the hand brake lever.You cannot exert enough force on a steel handbrake cable to stretch it by pulling on the handbrake.

Rubbish, cables do stretch. I've more than 30 years of experience on working with systems that use cables to transmit force from one area to another. Tensioners are there to set up initial, and reduced tensions due to stretch, to ensure the system works correctly.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club