Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm An Idiot - Parking Brake Questions!

Mental_Atom

So, to cut a long story short this morning in my I'm-tired-it's-early awake-ness I managed to drive away with the parking brake on. I was like "Ooh, this feels weird", but it took me a short distance 100-200m to actually realise what I'd done.

It's not the first time either, in the past couple of weeks I've done it once more - That time for a bit longer distance. And the car is only 3 weeks old!

Now, the questions...

1. Does the fiesta use the rear drums as the parking brake?
  2. I understand from the internet I am likely to have damaged the shoes - Is this correct?
  3. If 3, how much damage is likely to have been done?
  4. If a lot, how much do rear shoes cost to replace?

I feel I should probably get it checked out now as having done it more than once it concerns. Also I'm sure they were groaning yesterday and that can't be good...

tl;dr - I drove with my parking brake on - twice - 4 questions above about what damage I may have done and the cost of my idiocy.

No expert here, so maybe I should shush, but as far as I'm aware a handbrake is a brake yeh? So in essence its not a 'lock'.

If you put your handbrake on slightly on a hill the car will still roll as the brakes are not holding it tight enough.. I'd imagine you could have stretched the cable slightly.. but I doubt you'd have damaged the shoes/drums really...

Anyway my 0.02 beans....(I'll use a different currency to those that know what they're actually on about...)

Whoops a daisy lol

1.Yes they do.

2.Could of glazed them over.

3. Possibly you could remove the drums and clean off the glaze with emery cloth.

4.About £70-£100 with parts and labour if they are fubered but probably no 3 should do it.

Whoops a daisy lol

1.Yes they do.

2.Could of glazed them over.

3. Possibly you could remove the drums and clean off the glaze with emery cloth.

4.About £70-£100 with parts and labour if they are fubered but probably no 3 should do it.

Yes, I never did it once in my old car, get a brand new one and I seem to subconsciously want to destroy it lol!

Okay cool, and if I went to my garage to get them to do no.3 how much would that be do you think? :P

TBH mate i think they will be ok .As long as the handbrake is holding fine and normal braking feels ok i would leave it.

Obviously if you think somethings not feeling right get them to pop the drums off and check the shoes ,my mate who used to service my cars always checked the shoes as a matter of course and went over them with a bit of emery cloth,took him 10 mins max so wouldn't cost the earth.

TBH mate i think they will be ok .As long as the handbrake is holding fine and normal braking feels ok i would leave it.

Obviously if you think somethings not feeling right get them to pop the drums off and check the shoes ,my mate who used to service my cars always checked the shoes as a matter of course and went over them with a bit of emery cloth,took him 10 mins max so wouldn't cost the earth.

You're probably right, but I don't trust brakes that are concerning me enough to make a post on here haha! I'll ring my dealer tomorrow and see if they can take a look. Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to brakes!

Will wait and see what others think too :) Cheers for the help!

You're probably right, but I don't trust brakes that are concerning me enough to make a post on here haha! I'll ring my dealer tomorrow and see if they can take a look. Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to brakes!

Will wait and see what others think too :) Cheers for the help!

Best get them checked if it gives you peace of mind mate,let us know how you get on, good luck sure you will be ok.

To be honest you only went a short distance each time and far more wear'n'tear is caused to the brakes when braking heavily on a steep hill.

Unless you feel an imbalance in the brakes when stopping or juddering apart from when the ABS kicks in then be concerned, other than that you'll be ok.

I've had brakes and discs glowing red after a hard pursuit and still the brakes have survived.

They'll be fine with such a short distance...you probably cover more distance/create more heat slowing from 70 on a slip road.

Tbh though, if you can drive off in a manual with the handbrake on without noticing, you could probably put it on a bit harder lol, especially if you park on a hill!

I remember my Mum driving an auto for the first time and we were noticing an odd smell that didn't seem to go...15 miles of A roads and dual carriage with the handbrake on! :lol:

To be honest you only went a short distance each time and far more wear'n'tear is caused to the brakes when braking heavily on a steep hill.

Unless you feel an imbalance in the brakes when stopping or juddering apart from when the ABS kicks in then be concerned, other than that you'll be ok.

I've had brakes and discs glowing red after a hard pursuit and still the brakes have survived.

Yeah it's not that, it's more that I think I could have stretched the cable slightly as thinking about it it's coming up pretty high when I'm applying it! I'm told thats an easy fix, but better to get it checked out :)

They'll be fine with such a short distance...you probably cover more distance/create more heat slowing from 70 on a slip road.

Tbh though, if you can drive off in a manual with the handbrake on without noticing, you could probably put it on a bit harder lol, especially if you park on a hill!

I remember my Mum driving an auto for the first time and we were noticing an odd smell that didn't seem to go...15 miles of A roads and dual carriage with the handbrake on! :lol:

Lol it never has felt that strong tbh, in my old P-reg it was impossible to drive off with it on no matter what. Possibly a bit loose from the factory?

The brakes are probably still bedding in on yours as its so new, especially the rears which aren't used much (well, maybe the are in your case lol :D ).

The cable will stretch over the first few weeks, it should be tightened at the first service though. Won't do any harm in having a bit more travel in the handbrake lever.

The brakes are probably still bedding in on yours as its so new, especially the rears which aren't used much (well, maybe the are in your case lol :D ).

The cable will stretch over the first few weeks, it should be tightened at the first service though. Won't do any harm in having a bit more travel in the handbrake lever.

I think it may have slipped earlier, but it could just have been me being dopey. Worst comes to the worst I'll get charged 1 hours labor and they'll tell me it's all splendid :P I've parked it in gear just incase it rolls into the fence lol

The only thing I'm thinking is that if you go to a dealers saying "I might have done this to my car brakes" some dealers might get £ signs in their eyes as they plan how to tell you that the 3rd quarter of the right hand left wheel has problems with the filanges...

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

The only thing I'm thinking is that if you go to a dealers saying "I might have done this to my car brakes" some dealers might get £ signs in their eyes as they plan how to tell you that the 3rd quarter of the right hand left wheel has problems with the filanges...

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

Then they can fix it on warranty - it's only 3 weeks old ;)

Then they can fix it on warranty - it's only 3 weeks old ;)

If you say that you didn't release the handbrake before driving off, they won't fix any fault they find under warranty. If you do take it to the dealers ask them if they can check the brakes as sometimes it feels like the handbrake doesn't release.

They wont fix under warranty if you broke it...

Otherwise people would buy a brand new car, thrash it around till the engine popped and then take it back for replacement under warranty. :lol:

Handbrake cables cant and dont stretch

Where did you get that idea from?

It's a metal cable, they do stretch with use and need tightening usually every year or so.

When you apply the handbrake a red light appear in the speedo cluster and if you drive off with the handbrake on a chime sounds. Or should do.

The cable itself does not stretch,clevis pins,nylon bushings,brake linings etc wear thus giving slackness in the cable that needs adjusting to stop too much travel on the hand brake lever.You cannot exert enough force on a steel handbrake cable to stretch it by pulling on the handbrake.

If you say that you didn't release the handbrake before driving off, they won't fix any fault they find under warranty. If you do take it to the dealers ask them if they can check the brakes as sometimes it feels like the handbrake doesn't release.

Oh I know that, but anything they said was broken that couldn't possibly be related to the brakes is a warranty job! I just meant if they start deciding other bits were broken.

Obviously being an idiot isn't covered by the warranty :P

Have you checked the hill hold assist to make sure its still working? Just in case

Have you checked the hill hold assist to make sure its still working? Just in case

Hmm no, I'll see on my way into work this morning, there aren't too many hills lol... But if it's not it'll be because of the cable needing adjustment/brake shoes glazed as everyone else has said :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club