Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Xr3i Gearbox Problem

shawnsick

Hello,

I have ran into an awkward situation with my gearbox, it appears that it is generating a tremendously loud whining noise. The noise is apparent when I accelerate (at all revs) and the noise degrades when I decelerate but along with deceleration comes a different sound, something that I can only describe as a scraping/dragging sound. The whining sound begins in 1st gear as soon as the car starts moving, the noise remains through all gears and it increases in volume at higher speeds, if I push down on the clutch until the pedal reaches the floor, or if I go into neutral, the whining and other noises instantly go away.

I think it is worth mentioning that the entire clutch assembly (including clutch bearing) was replaced around 1300kms ago and the gearbox oil was drained and refilled with fresh oil at the same time. The problem occurred one day without any previous symptoms (I had just started the car when the problem came along), I was using the car on a daily basis prior to the issue and there were never any abnormalities in relation with the gearbox/clutch.

Any help/advice would be appreciated !