Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CARAVAN

hedgepig

I'm thinking of buying a caravan and I'm curious whether the Focus 1.6tdci would be powerful enough to pull one (approx 1000kgs) without either crippling it or ruining the fuel consumption.

From what I've gathered there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 apart from the economy.

Can anybody offer any advice on this as it would be a totally new venture for me?

• 2 months later...
I'm thinking of buying a caravan and I'm curious whether the Focus 1.6tdci would be powerful enough to pull one (approx 1000kgs) without either crippling it or ruining the fuel consumption.

From what I've gathered there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 apart from the economy.

Can anybody offer any advice on this as it would be a totally new venture for me?

Check out this site for more information http://www.whattowcar.com/

General rule is dont exceed 85% of the towing vehicles kerb weight and you should be okay...I would also recommend always using a stabiliser

Check out this site for more information http://www.whattowcar.com/

General rule is dont exceed 85% of the towing vehicles kerb weight and you should be okay...I would also recommend always using a stabiliser

I have towed a caravan with a 1 litre and 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa in the past ... the Freedom Caravan range is quite lightweight, some as low as 450kg, but most are about 750kg with toilet, kitchen, double bed/dining area.

I have towed many thousands of miles with a 1.6TDCI AT AN 87% match for the kerb weight, no problem verry stable at sensible speeds and correctly loded van and 75kg noseweight, if your vehicle has drum rear brakes you might find the hand brake is crap especialy with 1100kg of caravan behind (mine was crap from new solo) regarding fuel consumption towing a caravan ruins it anyway and the only vehicles that dont suffer much give apauling consumption solo to start with, your engine in good order is verry fuel efficient but you wont get good economy with a van on the rear.

Regards brian