Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Poor Old Vw

Colin1969

Due to the recent embarrassment Vw have had recently regarding falsifying EMISSIONS , I wonder if its more widespread than we think. Could your nice clean ford be dirtier than one thinks. If so can we claim money back for miss selling ?

This scandal could bankrupt VW in the US alone & if they have been conning European customers too the damage could be terminal

• Like 2

I wouldn't believe they are the only ones at it. I'm just waiting to see who's next.

That's an interesting point Colin. My thoughts on VW's mistake are firstly so what. The results done by those two independent testing companies made the cars only 10% out compared to what's expected from a diesel engine. But just how did they program the ECU to give a false reading in the 1st place and to kick in at just the right points? VW diesels are damn good on fuel anyway so why 'cheat' is beyond me.

All the VAG 1.6 and 2.0 diesel engines at the moment.

Confirmed to be on Audis.

That's an interesting point Colin. My thoughts on VW's !Removed! up are firstly so what. The results done by those two independent testing companies made the cars only 10% out compared to what's expected from a diesel engine. But just how did they program the ECU to give a false reading in the 1st place and to kick in at just the right points? VW diesels are damn good on fuel anyway so why 'cheat' is beyond me.

It's very simple but very clever, using steering position, speed, barometric pressure and duration.

So all these buyers could also end up paying for extra road tax on their low emission cars too possibly.

This is going to open one big massive can of worms.

Surely though if its all down to steering position etc to make this all work through the ecu. Once these cars go for their m.o.t`s in the future some could fail drastic through the emissions if they have been botched majorly. First thing owners would think is it needs a cat etc, dosnt work, still fails, lots of owners buying expensive cats for no reason.

I know I am going to the extreme here but just how bad is this all going to be.

• Like 2

It will be the other way round.

A recall will be put in place to take the cars back to VW to update the software and permanently enable the emission controls.

The cars will then meet their approved levels, BUT the car will probably drive like... well you know...

I don't own a diesel or a VW so I'm just sitting back popcorn in hand watching it all unfold.

• Like 4

New movie coming out about the Volkswagen exhaust gas scandal.

Starring Tom Cruise.

Emission Impassable.

• Like 5

Interesting reading but according to the bbc news which I saw yesterday morning before I went to work what ever was done to the ecu only acted once and once the test was done the car ran as per 'normal '. That being the case. Why a recall when there's nothing to be done? All that stuff about steering wheel position etc seem feasible but poppycock to me because the test wasn't static but mobile. The gear they use (looks like a ghost busters back pack to me) was attached to the car and pipework to the exhaust and the car driven to perform the tests.

I couldn't give two s****. We have to pass an emissions test with every MOT so as long as it goes through that WHO CARES!!

As long as a car isn't plooming black smoke I couldn't care less.

And as for all the "but it is harming the environment!", well - we've survived this far...

• Like 2

But that is how they have been caught out, because someone has done a proper road test of the car - it then no longer thinks it's on a test rig so runs under normal conditions.

From what I gather the cars are tested on some for of static rig for the emmisions and the car can sense this through said parameters. It knows if the steering isn't Turning etc that the car is under test conditions.

Interesting reading but according to the bbc news which I saw yesterday morning before I went to work what ever was done to the ecu only acted once and once the test was done the car ran as per 'normal '. That being the case. Why a recall when there's nothing to be done? All that stuff about steering wheel position etc seem feasible but poppycock to me because the test wasn't static but mobile. The gear they use (looks like a ghost busters back pack to me) was attached to the car and pipework to the exhaust and the car driven to perform the tests.

Because in normal mode many of the emission systems are off or considerably reduced.

A recall will be needed for the emission systems to be running all the time, not just during the test.

• Like 1

It appears to be nox emmisions related issues and not soot or co2 emmisions.

Vw use a version of adblue (urea) additive injected to reduce nox. Vw have been taking the !Removed! out of vw drivers for years. Lol

• Like 1

Well, they can do what they like - I'm a Ford guy as are the rest of us (I hope!).

Banks scandal all over again? These multi-nationals think they are above the law just look at FIFA.

• Like 1

My Dad seems to think that the ECU was able to detect the test by recognise the loading on the car and then adjust the amount of capturing stuff to maximise the test. Only trouble is the capturing material is a one go and once its full then its unable to capture any more hence why it cant be used all the time!

They are in trouble and I think it is more industry wide than just VAG as Diesels have been the go to for European car people for the last few years.

Got this email from Ford today

Ford. Go Further

Dear Mr Holroyd,

If you follow any sort of media, you’re sure to have heard the stories about emissions testing for diesel engines.

We wanted to take this opportunity to bring you some more positive news and deliver this message from our company Executive Vice President, Jim Farley.

FORD EMISSIONS COMMITMENT

Given the worldwide attention and news coverage related to diesel emissions tests, we at Ford want to make sure our position on these key issues is clear.

First, our vehicles and engines – including our advanced-technology diesel engines – meet all applicable emissions requirements. Importantly, we do not have any so‑called “defeat devices” in our vehicles.

We also fully support efforts to ensure that test procedures more closely match the real‑world conditions that customers experience under normal driving. That is why we have supported the development of a European Real Driving Emissions initiative that is going into law in Europe.

Ford is committed to offering customers high fuel efficiency and low emissions through what we call the “power of choice.” We offer a variety of choices ranging from our EcoBoost-powered petrol vehicles and advanced technology diesels to hybrids, plug-in hybrids and full electric vehicles.

Visit www.ford.co.uk or your local FordStore or Ford dealer to learn more about Ford’s newest vehicles, technology and our commitment to Go Further.

Jim Farley

Executive Vice President, Europe, Middle East and Africa

Ford Motor Company

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I have to say this email made me smile. I do not hate Volkswagen, but Ford is of course the superior manufacturer and if there is an opportunity to twist the knife, they have to take it!

post-15085-0-41797400-1443814220_thumb.p

• Like 1

The biggest issue is that all cars emit more NOX in real world driving than they do on the lab test, it really is time for the lab test to be axed and do a real world test for both emissions and MPG.

There was a test done on a 63 plate euro 5 VW Golf and Euro 6 Focus, both cars in real life were well over the lab test for NOX, the Golf was 4 times higher the Ford was still lower than the euro 5 but put out I think 6 times more NOX than the lab test, I think the VW was something like 4 times more bearing in mind it was an older model and euro 5, can't quite remember.

Bearing in mind the amount of NOX allowed for euro 5 and 6 are significantly different,

Link to the test report here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34425306

However the cars in the USA were putting out 40 times more NOX than the limit allows.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club