Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zx Ambient Lighting

ayrshiredude

Have my ZS Red Edition but missing the Ambient Lighting strip above the glove box. Have read a couple of threads on here but they are a few years old.

However I have purchased a red LED strip with which I am intending wiring into the existing connection but read somewhere that this was not activated. Is this still the case? Would be so simple to just plug it in and it works without needing to wire things up.

Any ideas?

I just plugged mine in & it worked perfectly.

on a ZS? What year is it?

My 13 plate ZS plugged in and lit up. Makes quite the difference.

It's not like the ST though which has them on the doors and in the overhead light though :P

My 13 plate ZS plugged in and lit up. Makes quite the difference.

It's not like the ST though which has them on the doors and in the overhead light though :P

No I realise that unfortunately :( However the space above the dash looks empty and dark without the strip. Bought a meter strip for £3.50 from eBay, so going to cut it to size and see how easy it is to wire it up. Does the plug behind the glove box have spare wire on it so the plug can be cut off to splice the wires?

I haven't a clue, but if there isn't then it shouldn't be too hard to find something live on ignition.

My ZS was a 2013. & there's enough wire on the plug to 'splice' into it.

Can I ask exactly where this connection is? I've pulled the glovebox out so it hangs down and looked in around where the hole is on the left hand side but can't see anything. Is it a plug that is hanging on a cable or is it attached to something? Do you need to remove the whole glovebox altogether (how do you do this) or is there enough access with it just hanging on the floor?

It's easier to just remove the glovebox, you just squeeze in the sides & pull it towards you.

The wire (if I remember correctly), is in the top left hand corner (as you look at it) of the glovebox recess.

It's only a small plug, so is a bit difficult to locate

It's easier to just remove the glovebox, you just squeeze in the sides & pull it towards you.

The wire (if I remember correctly), is in the top left hand corner (as you look at it) of the glovebox recess.

It's only a small plug, so is a bit difficult to locate

Yea did that so the glove box hands right down. But couldn't see anything. Does the plug hang out or is it attached to something?

I think the plug is pushed onto a plastic tab so it's held in place. So you need to pull it off the tab.

I can't see anything but can't really get in past the glove box. I have pushed the two tabs at the top in and pulled the glovebox out so it falls down but think I really need to remove the whole thing. Any idea how to remove the whole glovebox?

where exactly is it and what does it look like?

It's something like this, in the top left hand corner behind the glovebox recess. It's pushed into a lug, so needs pulling off before it can be ysed.

65F5F0E3-50EB-4AAD-922C-9F26AF6654DF.jpg

Stick your phone behind there & film around the area. Play back the footage & try to see it.

Ok so I thought I had got a great bargain on eBay from a guy selling a second hand part. He had described it as "GENUINE FORD FIESTA AMBIENT DASHBOARD LIGHT" I got it for £30. However he has just advised me that this does not include the LED part :( I don't understand surely it's a one piece item. However I came across someone else selling the whole thing. I have included a pic of what I have bought (pic 1) and the full thing (pic 2). I see on pic 2 there is separate part to the right. Is this the LED part???? I'm kinda baffled. If it is then can I buy just this part from Ford?

I hope this all makes sense

post-41797-0-90231400-1449625889_thumb.j

post-41797-0-91136000-1449625890_thumb.j

The 'separate part' on the right is the LED for illuminating the little cubbyhole in front of the gear lever.

The 'separate part' on the right is the LED for illuminating the little cubbyhole in front of the gear lever.

so is the item that is in photo 1 all I need for above the glovebox to work?

I believe so, I don't think the cubby hole light even has a spot to go in the ST.

so is the item that is in photo 1 all I need for above the glovebox to work?

Yes it is.

The led on the glovebox strip can be removed. Its on the end of the strip and is clipped on. If its not there you could use a normal led of your colour and heat shrink it in place.

I managed to get the strip with the led for £16 off eBay about a month ago.

Wiring is above the glovebox and is a white and a black wire terminated with a small 2 pin plug. Its usually plugged into a storage place near the nearside air vent.

spoke to my ford dealer and he has listed 2 items I need "Kit-additional lampl electr parts" SPN 1820761 which is the long bit and "Lamp Assy - LED" SPN 1852047. the pic on his computer makes the latter part look like just the plug but could this be the part the guy on eBay is talking about? If it is then its onl a fiver but his part is half the price of the new one.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Further to what I posted previously regarding a w5 plug to plug directly into the bulb socket, I found this item

Expensive way to get the plug but will save you load of hassle trying to splice into the loom.

Just cut of the bits that you don't need, leaving the plug and a length of wire.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151572488369?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club