Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR blanking and cleaning

MaxDee

Hi all

I have a MK 3 Focus 1.6 tdci (115) with 32 k miles. Are these engines easy to blank the egr valves and do they need to be cleaned out or are they self clean?

Thanks

Hiya! I've got the previous version from the MK2.5, the 90PS model, and I had my EGR electronically deleted and a stage 1 ECU remap put on it last week. It seems pretty easy to actually blank the unit though, I'm going to remove it completely when the weather brightens up a little bit. 

E.G.R.V.'s are not self cleaning as far as i'm aware, they all clog up with carbon sooner or later, I'd just blank it & once that's done the E.G.R.V. is effectively disabled & it then matters not whether it's clean or otherwise.

• Like 2

Not seen anyone on here blank the mk3 egr yet, maybe someone who has can advise, saw a thread 2weeks ago about someone trying.

Self cleaning of the mechanism is carried out to stop it sticking open/shut but thats as far as cleaning goes.

I think if you blank it off somehow then it not only put light on but may go in to limp mode

We need someone to try and find out.

I'm not all that sure removing it is a good idea, wouldn't take a genius to work out you have been tampering with the emissions system (you can see it without dismantling car), you will also need to bypass the EGR cooler and somehow blank off the inlet manifold where the egr joins it, assuming your removing the whole thing that is.  if your only removing the valve then you could blank off the engine and the inlet to the EGR cooler but apart from saving a couple of pounds of weight, I'm not all that sure why you would bother.  Perhaps if you were leaking coolant from the EGR cooler it might be worth considering but imo, it would be a lot easier and cheaper just to get some reinforced silicone hose and bypass the cooler rather than try and remove the whole thing.

Blank it off whilst its still working, job done, unless you left the EGR valve to clog up I cant see any reason to spend more money and do any more to it than that...

But that's just me, each to their own!

in saying that, having the cooler removed would make it easier to get to the glow plugs and disconnect the HP fuel lines but how often will you be doing that!

There are a couple of videos on u tube regarding blanking mk2.5 egr's but haven't seen any on mk3 yet. To be honest I haven't looked yet but it should be similar.

So if an egr is blanked does it mean that it does not need to be cleaned? Do i need to disable it too?

Blank it off at the engine and no soot will make it through to the valve so no need to clean it up, the EML is the only problem, the Euro IV doesn't  show the warning if you blank it but I'm not sure about the newer engines. if you did get the EML, then as Ian said, you might have problems which will require you to have it mapped out as well

Don't get one of those stupid blanking plates will a hole in it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

E.G.R.V.'s are not self cleaning as far as i'm aware, they all clog up with carbon sooner or later, I'd just blank it & once that's done the E.G.R.V. is effectively disabled & it then matters not whether it's clean or otherwise.

just mind to have it blanked BEFORE it clogs up, blanking it after you get problems wont likely help.

• Like 1

Mk3 is not simular to mk2

dont know anyone on here with egr issues yet on mk3.
  • Like 1

I thing that i will leave it alone for now!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mk3 egr valve , due to design , will be more difficult to blank off.

1467708218011.jpg

• Like 1

On 20/06/2016 at 11:13 AM, MaxDee said:

I thing that i will leave it alone for now!!

The advantages of blanking are often overstated.

I have tried with & without blanking on my Mk2. When the EGR was working properly, there was no noticable difference. It was only when the thing started misbehaving that it affected performance.

On my car, it shuts fully above about 2500rpm, and at high throttle openings, so can not affect top end performance, unless leaking.

I suspect a lot of the carbon build up problems are really caused by other problems, leading to too much oil blown out of the crankcase, or the oil separator of breather valve not doing their job, or excess soot in the exhaust. I check & clean my crankcase breather system annually: It can feed oil into turbo, intercooler & egr if not in good nick.

• Like 1

Hi there not sure on mk3

i have mk2 1.8 tdci I used blanking plate and noticed difference straight away.

better pulling away no flat spot and turbo kicks in slightly sooner.

before I blocked it off I used egr cleaner n cleaned it all out first.

every week my car gets a good !Removed! kicking anyway to clear all the crap out the dpf filter as that's a bugger for clogging up on the tdci's

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club