Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 TDCI power cut off

andy1741

Hi Guys,

My first time posting. I have a 2009 focus zetec 1.6 tdci diesel with 113K miles on the clock. I bought this car in April with 110k miles. Today I was out on a road trip and after driving about 100 miles I was switching to the outside lane on the motorway and the power just cut completely in the car. The revs dropped completely and the speedo just decreased as i pulled onto the hard shoulder and the engine stalled then (the battery symbol and the engine oil symbol appeared in the cluster). I turned the key off and back on and it started no issues. I then drove another 100 miles and 200 miles back without issue.

There was no check engine light on at any point. I was also not accelerating hard, ~2k rpm.

This has happened once before. I was going accelerating onto a round about (quite hard ~4.5k rpm - very stupid) and the car just cut after a few seconds. This was a few months ago. I put this down to revving the car too hard when it was cold but this might not be the case then?

This was obviously a bit worrying because to tow the car home would be a couple hundred euro and thank god I didn't have to. I'll be checking for any codes on the car tomorrow morning and perhaps bringing it to a ford garage but I was just posting this here incase im resiting any common problems or symptoms.

2 hours ago, andy1741 said:

I'll be checking for any codes on the car tomorrow morning

If there are no codes, it could be because too many start cycles have happened. Some codes seem to have quite a short life, others stay for a long time. So keep a diagnostic system handy to read codes as soon as possible after any future event.

A system like Forscan can sometimes reveal codes that a generic OBD2 scanner can not see.

Total power fail without codes is rare. I can only think of a failure in the power to the pcm, so it thinks the ignition is off, or an internal pcm fault with similar consequences.

If  you find anything, please post here.

I read the codes today using forscan:

From PCM:

P0087-21 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low

P1180-21 Fuel Delivery System- Low

From FACM:

P2409-60 Fuel cap sensor/switch circuit range or performance.

The FACM code was there previously when I last checked the codes about 2 months ago. The other two are new, These both lead me in the direction that there fuel filter is clogged. I went to a ford garage today and they agree. I bought a new filter for €75 (not sure if this is standard or an absolute rip off...?). I plan on fitting it tomorrow.

Regarding the FACM code, Does anyone have any helpful info on this? I couldn't find much online. I completely forget to mention this at the ford garage. It seems very pedantic but could the code be restricting the ECU from adding the EOLYS fluid because the circuit is broken? This would inturn block the DPF much faster?

Change your fuel filter, same symptoms and codes as a problem I had not that long ago, my filter was only about 5k old as well, I must have picked up some dodgy fuel, its been fine since I swapped it out for another one and that was 11k ago, I'm actually just about to change it again.

1 hour ago, andy1741 said:

I read the codes today using forscan:

From PCM:

P0087-21 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low

P1180-21 Fuel Delivery System- Low

From FACM:

P2409-60 Fuel cap sensor/switch circuit range or performance.

I suspect there is some air leaking in to the filter housing or pipes. This may be made worse by a clogged fuel filter.

The main diesel pump has to suck the fuel right from the tank, & through the filter. There is usually no tank pump. This can draw air into the system. Even small amounts of air entering the main pump will cause the high pressure stage to be unable to generate any appreciable pressure, hence total power loss.

So while changing the filter, check the pipes and connections for possible leaks.

Forscan can monitor the dpf system. Using the live data part, look for DIST_ASHFUL & DIS_REGEN (or something like that) PIDs, these show an estimate of the remaining life until DPF is too clogged to use, and the distance from the last regen (or regen attempt). It can also monitor the DP produced by the dpf while running. You are right about the concern that lack of Eolys may damage the dpf. I am not sure if there is a count of Eolys injections available to view. That would be useful if it was there.

I assumeed the magnet might have fallen out altough I've no idea where the magnet/ sensor is. I took a few pics of my fuel flap today. Could anyone give me an insight into how i might resolve this code?

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

4 hours ago, andy1741 said:

I've no idea where the magnet/ sensor is.

I can't find any useful images or info.

I would probe all round the filler flap with a small steel tool (little screwdriver perhaps), to see if I could locate a magnet (in case it is still present). There is a sensor (said to just be a reed relay) in the car body, near the flap, and the magnet needs to move close to this to energise it. If not obvious, it could be integrated into the hinge somehow.

A possible picture of the sensor is below, though it is not likely to be easily visible.

TankFlapSwitch.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation Peter. I tried using a steel screwdriver and even a magnet but could not find anything. If you give a chance would you be able to have a look where the magnet is located on your car? This seems to be such a simple fix for a potentially significant problem but I just dont know where to put the magnet that has fallen out. I can find close to nothing online about the exact location of the sensor and magnet.

If you could send a picture I would greatly appreciate this. Thanks again!

On 19/9/2016 at 7:32 PM, iantt said:

magnet fallen out of fuel flap

@iantt Do you know where on the fuel filler flap this magnet is supposed to be located? so I can place a new one.

6 hours ago, andy1741 said:

have a look where the magnet is located on your car?

Not quite so simple!

My car does not have one (1.8TDCI).

I would start from the other end, at the dosing module if possible. According to Haynes, it lurks under the rear seat, on the right hand side of the car. Ian is often right with his suggestions, but there are other possibilities, and testing from the connector end may be more comprehensive. You would be able to detect if another magnet made the circuit close. The wiring for this unit is below.

The other access route is to remove the rear wheel & wheel arch trim, to look up inside the rear wing, as the mechanism may be in the hinge.

dosing.PNG

• 7 years later...

Was this solved. I have the exact same problem. Starting today I will replace the fuel filter.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club