Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v outlet / cigarrete lighter socket not working

Tywin

Hi guys,

The 12v outlet / cigarette lighter doesn't appear to be working any more, and I can't work out why. When I plug my my USB phone charger in it, the light on the charger comes on (to indicate it is being powered), but it fails to charge my phone. I tried using the same charger in other cars and it works perfectly fine. I even used other chargers in my car, and they don't work either.

I'm a bit confused. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I've not yet looked at the fuse box, as I presumed the fuse is okay since the light on the charger still comes on?

My car is a Focus (Zetec), 2007 model.

Many thanks in advance
Tywin

I would swap the fuse and then see whats happening. If its still the same then maybe your socket is worn and not getting a good enough contact to power the charger fully, the LED uses hardly anything. Do you only have one 12v socket in your car?

With the fuse removed, you can use a slightly abrasive cloth (like a kitchen sponge) or paper towel to clean the socket - I got all manner of crap out of mine (I think the previous owner spilt coffee as when i removed the center console there was remains of it!)

15 hours ago, WES180 said:

I would swap the fuse and then see whats happening. If its still the same then maybe your socket is worn and not getting a good enough contact to power the charger fully, the LED uses hardly anything. Do you only have one 12v socket in your car?

Correct - I only have one.

I will give the above a try tomorrow morning.

8 hours ago, Micro said:

With the fuse removed, you can use a slightly abrasive cloth (like a kitchen sponge) or paper towel to clean the socket - I got all manner of crap out of mine (I think the previous owner spilt coffee as when i removed the center console there was remains of it!)

Oh okay, nice idea. I can try doing the above tomorrow morning. Will let you guys know how I get on.

If the socket is severely scummed up or corroded, I have a spare one available.

On 02/01/2017 at 8:14 AM, Stoney871 said:

If the socket is severely scummed up or corroded, I have a spare one available.

Thanks Stoney! That's very kind of you.

But fortunately, I was able to sort it. The fuse was blown, and I just swapped it. I can't explain how, despite it being blown, the LED light on my charger would still come on? Perhaps it only requires a minimum amount of power to do that.

Thanks again for your suggestions though, guys. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks Stoney! That's very kind of you.

But fortunately, I was able to sort it. The fuse was blown, and I just swapped it. I can't explain how, despite it being blown, the LED light on my charger would still come on? Perhaps it only requires a minimum amount of power to do that.

Thanks again for your suggestions though, guys. Much appreciated.

Welcome anytime.
Must have been just enough residual power in the wiring to light the led.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Welcome anytime.
Must have been just enough residual power in the wiring to light the led.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Or enough residual power in the charger plug /enough leakage through ground to light it. My friends led boot lights used to come on dimly even with the boot shut due to some leakage.
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club