Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Sky Cabling

Turvey

Sorry @Lenny I didn't realise what a distribution amplifier was. I should have elaborated on my current set up.

I have an indoor roof aerial which feeds off to the tv point in the lounge. The coax from the wall socket goes into the sky box and then out of the sky box to the wall socket and up to a box in the airing cupboard (which I know to be a distribution amplifier) which in turn feeds off down to the kitchen and 3 bedrooms. The sky HD comes from the back of the dish and into some kind of box under the sophet on the apex of the house, next thing I know it is taken from the wall socket in the lounge and into the box.

I have a humax freeview box in the master bedroom (pause/record live tv, record 2 channels and watch a third as long as it is linked to the signal used by one of the 2 recording channels, or watch one and record one) and built in free view on the bedroom tv. Same in bedroom 2. As yet just a wall socket all ready to replicate other two bedrooms in the nursery and kitchen.

I have tuned both upstairs terrestrial tv channel 0 to mirror the Sky box in the lounge. I tried an eBay magic eye jobbo but that didn't work, after doing some reading I learnt that although it is easier to connect up to a distributor box by turning on the power to the rf output on one of the older generation skyHD boxes, the magic eye won't work. I currently use my iPad and the Sky app to control the box downstairs when we watch tv in bed. Is there a way to get the magic eye to work?

I have considered trying to get another feed form the back of the dish, taking it into the house through the loft and getting it into the master bedroom then purchasing a second Sky box for the bedroom. Would that work, and is that the cheapest easiest way to get sky into the master bedroom? We don't want it in any other room at the moment but I guess in years to come we may want it in bedroom 2.

Thanks for the excellent instructions and guides to your setup, in an ideal world I would do something like that but funds don't allow just now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Sorry lenny I didn't realise what a distribution amplifier was. I should have elaborated on my current set up.

I have an indoor roof aerial which feeds off to the tv point in the lounge. The coax from the wall socket goes into the sky box and then out of the sky box to the wall socket and up to a box in the airing cupboard (which I know to be a distribution amplifier) which in turn feeds off down to the kitchen and 3 bedrooms. The sky HD comes from the back of the dish and into some kind of box under the sophet on the apex of the house, next thing I know it is taken from the wall socket in the lounge and into the box.

I have a humax freeview box in the master bedroom (pause/record live tv, record 2 channels and watch a third as long as it is linked to the signal used by one of the 2 recording channels, or watch one and record one) and built in free view on the bedroom tv. Same in bedroom 2. As yet just a wall socket all ready to replicate other two bedrooms in the nursery and kitchen.

I have tuned both upstairs terrestrial tv channel 0 to mirror the Sky box in the lounge. I tried an eBay magic eye jobbo but that didn't work, after doing some reading I learnt that although it is easier to connect up to a distributor box by turning on the power to the rf output on one of the older generation skyHD boxes, the magic eye won't work. I currently use my iPad and the Sky app to control the box downstairs when we watch tv in bed. Is there a way to get the magic eye to work?

20161104_093120_zpsfmn8lnhs_edit_1478323

The RF output on the sky box may need a 12v power supply to boost it's strength 

or 

The distribution amplifier you currently have; isint compatible with "magic eye"

A way to test this is hopefully the magic eye has an led indicator on it; this led only iluminates when the signal for control is linked with the sky box,

So working at the distribution amplifier; if you can unplug the feed coming from the sky box's RF output and plug it in to the magic eye,

If the magic eye led illuminates; this means the signal is strong enough from the sky box and you need to change the distribution amplifier to one that is "bypass compatible" 

alternatively If the magic eye led doesn't illuminate; then the signal is weak coming from the sky box and you may benefit from fitting a 12v power supply to the I/O link RF output adaptor.

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Jonro2009 said:

I have considered trying to get another feed form the back of the dish, taking it into the house through the loft and getting it into the master bedroom then purchasing a second Sky box for the bedroom. Would that work, and is that the cheapest easiest way to get sky into the master bedroom? We don't want it in any other room at the moment but I guess in years to come we may want it in bedroom 2.

Installing a second sky box will only give you the freeview channels unless you had a subscription card fitted in, a second viewing card can be purchased from sky but this would cost you around 10 pounds extra per month possibly more depending on your current package.

Back in the early 90's it was possible to transfer the viewing card between box's just like changing a CD in the radio but sky later stopped this because people were paying for sports and pay per view then bringing the viewing card down to the sky box in the pub for all to watch 😁 pubs are charged more for pay per view subscription. 

Now when you transfer the viewing card to another box you need to phone them up with the box number then they activate to let you use it, 

This eliminates the option of transferring the one existing viewing card frequently between two box's within the home as may have been the plan for the bedroom box.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, Lenny said:

I personally prefer to use wired network connection in the home where possible as I'm concerned about wireless signals affecting my young family, there's no proof that WiFi is bad mmkay but I'm sceptical 

Sorry for they delay but I've been away a bit Yes that's it !!.My distribution amp is a 8 way box form Maplin electronics (it has to be Sky compatible else it won't work the eye) and mine is cabled too Same as my Internet as we have Virgin Media here at 200megs to make sure I have the best performance I have it all cabled in to the computers only the phones and tablet use wifi.I don't get a good signal upstairs in my old house with wifi.I asked Sky about the TV offer and they told me the usual story "sorry new customers only" lol lol I said well ive been with you for years what can you offer me the answer was "nothing mate"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gizza11 said:

I don't get a good signal upstairs in my old house with wifi.I asked Sky about the TV offer and they told me the usual story "sorry new customers only" lol lol I said well ive been with you for years what can you offer me the answer was "nothing mate"

I had a similar problem with sky and results were "new customers only" when I wanted to get a sky box with the WiFi built in to access movie downloads, 

So I terminated contract; phoned them and said I was moving to another house where I would be renting a room and the landlord lives in house already had sky in it.

they couldn't try offer me any alternatives with that story 😉

we then went to the local CarPhoneWarehouse where I got the wife to sign up to sky as a new customer using the same address and the same direct debit details as the old subscription.

I just removed my sky card when I knew the installer was arriving. Results were; we got the new sky box for free aswell as half price bill for six months 😀

next time I'll sign up as the new customer again 👍

and regarding the RJ45 network cables; if possible and where it is possible you should try upgrading the cables to CAT7 there capable of up to 10Gb per second data transfer, I bought all mine from various eBay sellers "Ibra" is a good brand if you search for "ibra Cat7" 

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

and regarding the RJ45 network cables; if possible and where it is possible you should try upgrading the cables to CAT7 there capable of up to 10Gb per second data transfer, I bought all mine from various ebay sellers "Ibra" is a good brand if you search for "ibra Cat7" 

You will only get 10Gbps if you have hardware to support that speed. They will be better shielded however, but I would not lay out an expense to get Cat7 unless you have hardware that can achieve 10Gbps or you have a need to have super-screened cables (running them with AC mains wires for instance, which is always a bad idea anyway). 

• Like 1

True the network is only as fast as the weakest point; I've put in flat CAT7 cables from the main router in the livingroom to each of the three bedrooms upstairs there pre-terminated 50m cables

20160404_075725_zpsrxopcj1o.jpg

20160404_082737_zpsevquzmwy.jpg

but my NetGear 8 port and 5 port LAN (Local Area Network) routers are only capable of 1GB 

20170218_162327_zps0wnwok1b.jpg

I'm not sure what the main router from the network provider is rated for probably less; which would mean that even the Gigabit LAN (Local Area Network) routers are not achieving potential at present time neither😕

When choosing the cables I wanted the latest speed transfer version as I have installed them inside a pipe under the concrete floor downstairs along side sky cables which feeds up inside the wall in the kitchen through to the attic then dropped down the partition walls in to each room where the 4 port LAN router's split the feed to each of the devices in the room.

20160517_135421_zpsxjb09k9o.jpg

At this point I put in a 1" flexi drain pipe containing HDMi cables and power feed for TV inside wall, the pipe allows free movement of cables meaning excess length can be pulled back to the rear of the cabinet where it's hidden👍

20160521_220829_zps8ssqz37b.jpg

20160522_093115_zps1wiulynp_edit_1463907

20160526_182540_zpsptbd196h.jpg

I'm then using short 1.0 meter cables to link devices to the LAN routers, 

20170218_161739_zpsvhghxk65.jpg

The 8 port model is in the livingroom it takes a feed from the main router and distributes to the devices in the cabinet,

20160906_112236_zpssj7xwaad_edit_1473157

The 5 port model is in the bedroom which distributes to the tv and Internet Radio.

they may achieve full speed some day 😁 I wanted to keep as far ahead as possible when installing because there now permanently in the wall and floor,

20170218_193220_zpszq7doolv_edit_1487448

5 hours ago, Lenny said:

and regarding the RJ45 network cables; if possible and where it is possible you should try upgrading the cables to CAT7 there capable of up to 10Gb per second data transfer, I bought all mine from various ebay sellers "Ibra" is a good brand if you search for "ibra Cat7" 

I do and  they are ,the system runs 200megs no problem well 210megs so it tells me I believe that Virgin Media is about( well sometime) to upgrade to 300 megs not sure if that is correct I'm sure I read that some ware might get it if it don't cost too much as I pay a premium as it is >I don't have a switch as the Virgin media has 5 output so that's fine for what I use at the mo might need a switch later on though if I expand anything.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gizza11 said:

I do and  they are ,the system runs 200megs no problem well 210megs so it tells me I believe that Virgin Media is about( well sometime) to upgrade to 300 megs not sure if that is correct I'm sure I read that some ware might get it if it don't cost too much as I pay a premium as it is >I don't have a switch as the Virgin media has 5 output so that's fine for what I use at the mo might need a switch later on though if I expand anything.

I get 82 megs on my fiber broadband and thats pretty good for around here 😀

The NetGear GS305 and GS308 are highly recommended if required at a later date, I've researched plently prior to purchase myself. 

I work with a guy whom used to work for a sattelite and aerial installation company and last night we had a good chat about sky and the new SkyQ etc.

he has told me that there are three reasons why the new SkyQ multiroom doesn't use a satellite feed and uses wifi instead.

1. Is to save time and money on installation as sky don't have to route extra cable.

2.The SkyQ LNB has somthing built in which blocks the functions of dream box's and dodgy box users from viewing.

3. And this is quite interesting; is to prevent you from being able to share your sky subscription with a family member for less than half price.

he explains that with normal Sky+HD multiroom you get two viewing cards from sky, one for the main box and one for the second box which goes in another room kitchen or bedroom, and connects to the sattelite in the same way the main box does.

Apparently alot of people were phoning sky to say:

"my multiroom box has broken, but I have another Sky+HD box here, can you activate the multiroom card on that box instead please" 

Sky would activate the second viewing card on the second Sky+HD box which people were then giving to another household such as there parents house providing them with a full sky subscription including pause&record at the cost of multiroom and it would be operating on a separate satellite dish anywhere in the country saving over 20 pounds per month.

This is the reason skyQ multiroom works on WiFi signal to ensure it stays within the house and not at someone elses place 😂 Genius 

I have now a question for @Stoney871 🙋since you were saying that you have the new SkyQ installed im interested to find out; Does the main box still take a viewing card?😯

my reason for asking is because I want to become a sky customer again but I don't want to have the new SkyQ, I want to keep my existing Sky+HD equipment,

Sky are only providing the Q equipment now they don't offer the +HD anymore, so I'm hoping the SkyQ still operates using a viewing card which will enable me to continue using the Sky+HD equipment instead of having to go with SkyQ thanks mate.

The main box still has a viewing card but the extra boxes don't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

The main box still has a viewing card but the extra boxes don't.

Excellent thanks mate 👍

Ive just confirmed that the SkyQ viewing card can be used with a Sky+HD box without any problem, 

The viewing cards haven't changed atall 👍

so when I register as a new customer; I've just gotta talk the Sky installer down off my roof as I don't want a hybrid LNB 😁

please dont touch my dish bro, look come down off the roof; I've gotta cup of tea down here and some mcvities Caramel Digestives.

If he can leave my setup alone great and if he leaves me the kit even better😁 I'll sell it on eBay #ChaChing 

• Like 1

You'll probably need some Jaffa cakes @Lenny or if he's particularly keen to go up his ladders you may even have to bring out the big guns. The Tunnocks caramel wafer!

I didn't realise that you couldn't get Sky+HD anymore [emoji853] I have a pretty good deal at the moment, it's just TV and the only thing we don't have is sports, all for £28 a month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

I didn't realise that you couldn't get Sky+HD anymore 

Is a shame that you cant get +HD from sky anymore no only the Q stuff; but ive bought a brand new 2TB Sky+HD box on eBay along with some new smart eyes and the sky viewing card is compatible, so I'm going for that because I can share it throughout the house.

there really pushing the Q over here offering free 32" LG television Model: 32LH510BTV with any 12 month contract 

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

You'll probably need some Jaffa cakes @Lenny or if he's particularly keen to go up his ladders you may even have to bring out the big guns. The Tunnocks caramel wafer!

I have a pretty good deal at the moment, it's just TV and the only thing we don't have is sports, all for £28 a month.

😀 My current provider is home phone broadband and Tv all through the phone line was only €30 per month for the first 6 months then a spot roasting €90 per month for the remaining 12 months of the contract so I'm going to switch soon when contract ends.

That's a pretty good deal for your first 6months, then after that I'm not so sure lol

• Like 1

I've just found this to be available and added it to next month's shopping list as I'll be using it in two bedrooms atleast 👍 it is a bit pricey but takes a load of stress out of fishing cables through partition walls with minimum drilling making it right first time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bit of a resurrection, sorry. I've just got the new BT Smart Hub and I'm getting speeds of 43Mbps to the router and a speed of 37Mbps on my iPad. I don't think that is too bad a difference over wifi but I don't know a lot about it. I have split the 2G and 5G bands and named them separately. My devices are on 5G along with the Sky+ box and everything else plus the wife's devices are on the 2G band (she doesn't know about the 2 bands [emoji6]) I have 2 questions, the first one is more because I'd just like to know and the second is because I need to know lol. Why does my Sky+ box not 'see' the 2G band, it only sees the 5G band? And this is the important one, I'm looking for an RJ11 to RJ11/RJ45 cable to go between my BT faceplate and router. Does anyone know of a decent cable, I need approx 3m that won't be detrimental to the speed. I've read that twisted cables are better than flat but no idea if that is even a thing! Also heard that gold connections are better? I prefer to buy from amazon for ease and have seen a 'Lindy' cable with good reviews, does anyone have a tried and tested cable they would be happy recommending? TIA

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Bit of a resurrection, sorry. I've just got the new BT Smart Hub and I'm getting speeds of 43Mbps to the router and a speed of 37Mbps on my iPad. I don't think that is too bad a difference over wifi but I don't know a lot about it. I have split the 2G and 5G bands and named them separately. My devices are on 5G along with the Sky+ box and everything else plus the wife's devices are on the 2G band (she doesn't know about the 2 bands emoji6.png) I have 2 questions, the first one is more because I'd just like to know and the second is because I need to know lol. Why does my Sky+ box not 'see' the 2G band, it only sees the 5G band? And this is the important one, I'm looking for an RJ11 to RJ11/RJ45 cable to go between my BT faceplate and router. Does anyone know of a decent cable, I need approx 3m that won't be detrimental to the speed. I've read that twisted cables are better than flat but no idea if that is even a thing! Also heard that gold connections are better? I prefer to buy from Amazon for ease and have seen a 'Lindy' cable with good reviews, does anyone have a tried and tested cable they would be happy recommending? TIA

Lindy cables are indeed highly recommended,

I've personally used Ibra cables in all network and Television connections I've found there range to be superior quality for the price.

Twisted cables are a thing, it's a method used to block out surrounding electromagnetic interference from frequencies such as 2G 3G 4G and terrestrial signals etc.

I've used double shielded CAT7 cables along with NetGear Gigabit routers to use as little WiFi as possible.

Here's a high quality RJ11 cable; is Nice https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-28721-High-Speed-Internet/dp/B000083JZ0 

• Like 2

Lindy cables are indeed highly recommended,
I've personally used Ibra cables in all network and Television connections I've found there range to be superior quality for the price.
Twisted cables are a thing, it's a method used to block out surrounding electromagnetic interference from frequencies such as 2G 3G 4G and terrestrial signals etc.
I've used double shielded CAT7 cables along with NetGear Gigabit routers to use as little WiFi as possible.
Here's a high quality RJ11 cable https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-28721-High-Speed-Internet/dp/B000083JZ0 

Thank you @Lenny that does look like a really good cable, quite pricey but I guess you get what you pay for. I'm going to have a think about that one and possible this one instead....Belkin Male to Male Hi-Speed Internet Modem Cable, 1.8 m - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004SMNT7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_AoetzbDZ00TXC Belkin is a brand I have used before and been happy with. Would you rate this cable or is the one you linked superior?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Thank you @Lenny that does look like a really good cable, quite pricey but I guess you get what you pay for. I'm going to have a think about that one and possible this one instead....Belkin Male to Male Hi-Speed Internet Modem Cable, 1.8 m - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004SMNT7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_AoetzbDZ00TXC Belkin is a brand I have used before and been happy with. Would you rate this cable or is the one you linked superior?

That one looks great and has the gold plated connections; I'll have to purchase one of these myself in the near future, it's the one cable I never thought of sourcing an upgrade for.

I need to educate myself on upgrading the router aswell; because my existing router is tied to the service provider and when they cut me off; the router stops operating even the transfer between WiFi from my phone to my radio stops, but I assume if i had an independent router then the communication between two devices within the home wouldn't stop if the internet went down.

Also I may get faster speed with an independent router in not sure, I need to research all about the advantages. 

• Like 1

That one looks great and has the gold plated connections; I'll have to purchase one of these myself in the near future, it's the one cable I never thought of sourcing an upgrade for.
I need to educate myself on upgrading the router aswell; because my existing router is tied to the service provider and when they cut me off; the router stops operating even the transfer between WiFi from my phone to my radio stops, but I assume if i had an independent router then the communication between two devices within the home wouldn't stop if the internet went down.
Also I may get faster speed with an independent router in not sure, I need to research all about the advantages. 

That's the cable I am going to plump for, should receive it on Monday. I thought the C2G one was too expensive, I looked on the bay and they were coming out at about £9-11 so I considered them, until I saw the postage that was! One was £67 and the other was £20 lol.
My dad has what he calls 'a decent router' I know he will have done a lot of research, it's what he does. I can find out which one he has just for your info?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonro2009 said:

That's the cable I am going to plump for, should receive it on Monday. I thought the C2G one was too expensive, I looked on the bay and they were coming out at about £9-11 so I considered them, until I saw the postage that was! One was £67 and the other was £20 lol.
My dad has what he calls 'a decent router' I know he will have done a lot of research, it's what he does. I can find out which one he has just for your info?

Yeah that would be great thanks,

Over here the phone cable is an RJ11 socket, I think the UK is different in that way, and our internet is ADSL where I think you guys can get another type which comes in through coaxial cable or somthing. 

• Like 1

Yeah that would be great thanks,
Over here the phone cable is an RJ11 socket, I think the UK is different in that way, and our internet is ADSL where I think you guys can get another type which comes in through coaxial cable or somthing. 

I'll check what router he has when I ring him tomorrow.

Yes, we have what is imaginatively called a 'British Telecom plug'. We have an RJ11 plug on the other side that goes into the phone base itself. I use a BT FTTC vDSL Faceplate, it has an RJ45/RJ11 socket as well as a BT socket. There is no need for an external filter. I think, I don't know though, that we get VDSL.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club