Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zetec S Ecoboost 1.0 - Remap good idea or problems waiting to happen?

Flexcy

Hi guys,

I've been looking into a stage one remap for my Zetec S. Mainly looking at AET as they do the custom map and it's not all about power, and i know how the gearboxes hold up!

Although my ecoboost is almost at 60k, would it be a silly idea to do the remap? I'm not one to smash through first and second, I mainly want the remap for better MPG and for the car to pick up more.

Any advice is much appriceated!

Thanks!

Check out the replys on this topic.

There's a few people that say AET motorsport are a must avoid. You wouldn't get too much more MPG, certainly not enough of a saving to justify the £500.

Revo seem to be more trusted and less likely to blow you're engine and gearbox up.

10 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Check out the replys on this topic.

There's a few people that say AET motorsport are a must avoid. You wouldn't get too much more MPG, certainly not enough of a saving to justify the £500.

Revo seem to be more trusted and less likely to blow you're engine and gearbox up.

Cheers mate! Had a read through and it's really put me off AET. Revo was my first choice a while back, think I may go for it again.

It's just the face these 1.0 ecoboost aren't built to last, and with almost 60k mileage do you think it would just be a silly idea? Don't want to spend hundreds on a remap and have lots of maintenance costs after haha!

Cheers for your time mate.

What makes you say that the 1.0 Ecoboost isn't built to last?   Personally, I think you will just be throwing your money away having a remap.   It is very unlikely you will get more MPG.   If that is what you want get a lighter right foot.   I get between 50 and 60 MPG out of mine and a remap isn't going to improve that.

I have a Revo remap on my 2014 Zetec S. Bought the car with 30k on the clock and its done around 4.5k with the remap on. I get around 40-42mpg with normal driving, a 20 minute return trip to work each day and then have a random drive at the weekend. I took my mate from Newcastle to Macclesfield last month to pick up his new car and was getting 48-50mpg on the motorway. 

The remap took mine from 125bhp to 156bhp and also took the torque to 230N/m and you can certainly feel the difference especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. Even when on the motorway when you need to overtake quickly, 5th gear just seems to pull out power from nowhere lol

I think as long as you don't floor it everywhere, it should hold up, its certainly a nice feeling when you put your foot down every now and then.

I'm really tempted to go for Revo. Got a 140ps and thinking 155/160ps would be nice. Just concerned that I'd knack the gearbox.

Plus Revo let's you change the mode so you can have standard and security settings too

Thanks for the replies guys!

Think I will go for revo!

Anyone with the stage one remap, does this cut down the time it takes for the turbo to actually kick in? As I hate the small delay whilst the boost builds up.

It's unlikely you'll notice much difference from a remap to be honest. They might sharpen the throttle response a tad which can help it "feel" like there's a smaller spool up time but in reality it's just a feature of turbo cars. There's often confusion as to what turbo lag actually is (I blame Clarkson who constantly banged on about turbo lag when in fact he was simply below the boost threshold of a car - see the Evo VIII FQ400 review for example!).

Turbo lag is the delay between pressing the accelerator and the turbo delivering boost when it is above the boost threshold RPM. What you are describing is happening because you are below the boost threshold (around 1.5k-2k rpm on the ecoboost). Without changing the turbo to some fancy variable vane thingy that has a lower boost threshold there's not a lot that can be done.

Just to add - I think you'll be very happy with Revo, I've heard nothing but excellent things about their work.

2 hours ago, Flexcy said:

Anyone with the stage one remap, does this cut down the time it takes for the turbo to actually kick in? As I hate the small delay whilst the boost builds up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flexcy said:

Let me know how it goes, I'm so close to caving but have too much common sense at the moment

19 hours ago, sioneon said:

Let me know how it goes, I'm so close to caving but have too much common sense at the moment

Cheers for the information mate!

I will do, just kind of want a refresh! As it should be an increase of around 35bhp, should feel a lot better!

But yeah I'm about the same as you, just don't want to spend £400+ on a remap and just experience problem after problem.

Thanks again mate!

if you drive normal and you dont hit the gearbox to hard youre fine, i got the gearbox smoked...... 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club