Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

38 minutes ago, Luke_Anderson said:

My sync 3 unit came from a kuga and plugged in just fine, a lot of my resource material was also based on a kuga so I would safely say the guide will work just fine for you. 

Thanks Luke, that's encouraging.

I understand I will need to swap the media port because I don't have the SD slot in mine, the 2 plugs in the back of the control unit are the same and this afternoon I have located the APIM above the glovebox with the media port mini USB in it but one thing I have noticed, there's no plug for the CD slot. I'm guessing that it's for some kind of light?

I’d imagine so, I don’t think it’ll be a problem though 👍🏻

Thank you for the info. Thought I was resigned to what I have. For sure I'm wanting to go sync 3  as well as adding a subwoofer. So as for installation is it the same as sync 1 to sync 3 or is there extra wiring /looms to make that you know of.? Excited to know my system is convertible. 

Btw . My system does have bt/vc

Thanks again . And thank you in advance for any further info anyone can share on getting a bt/vc to sync 1/2 or 3.

I’ve actually been delving deeper into this with another member, it’s doable but it’s a lot more work and as of yet there is no guarantee that it will talk to the bcm, I think it will do but what it really needs is someone to try it or someone near me that doesn’t Mind having there car pulled apart! 

• Like 1

I’ve actually been delving deeper into this with another member, it’s doable but it’s a lot more work and as of yet there is no guarantee that it will talk to the bcm, I think it will do but what it really needs is someone to try it or someone near me that doesn’t Mind having there car pulled apart! 
Watching this with baited breath... very much interested in this.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If anyone wants to volunteer there car I’ll happily give it a go! 

If anyone wants to volunteer there car I’ll happily give it a go! 
My car is currently stuck in a garage due to them attempting to reprogram the PCM for the electronic coolant pump And failing...!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Following with interest! It sounds doable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My theory is that the entertainment system although made up of several components only really talk to each other, the only things outside of that are the instrument cluster for nav directions, the microphone for the Bluetooth and the steering wheel for controls. 

Now mixing and matching bt/vc and sync components isn’t gonna work because they aren’t speaking the same language, however if you replace all the system components as long as they can talk to each other it should work. 

The microphone isn’t anything special and neither are the steering controls, the only thing that might possibly not work would be the instrument cluster, however it’s no great loss as all it does is repeat the nav instructions that are on screen. 

My thought is that above the normal bits needed for the sync 2/3 conversion you would need a steering wheel with the later layout and ideally a dash loom from a sync car. 

If someone is willing to buy the bits and bring there car to me then I’m willing to pull it all apart and see if it can be done. Worst case scenario is that it doesn’t work and you sell your bits on. 

Hi,

I'm looking at replacing my Sync 1 (without navigation) to a Sync 2 to give me navigation, I've purchased the Sync 2 head unit, the wiring loom with the SD Card reader that runs from the arm rest to the HU Console came with it, however I'm a bit stuck as the APIM on the back has a 54 pin socket and I'm only left with the smaller harness with the lever lock from my Sync 1 unit.  The other harnesses all fit into ACM!?

I do have the GPSM behind the rear view mirror.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From what I remember, when disconnecting sync 1 you need to move the connector from the bottom to the top where the old screen is. It should have a latch on it. Do you definitely have sync 1?

Hi.

Thanks for your reply, I'll have a better look for it then.  Yes, I have a 2013 titanium with the basic Sync Command BT & VC, but that's gone a bit duff.

@Monks600 I've had another look, the locking harness just below the gear stick is the only one I can find!?

I've taken a picture of the harnesses that were connected to the head unit, the ones by the right hand air vent plug in fine, I'm only stuck with the one by the right air vent which is too small and is only a 10 pin harness. 

Would you be able to point me in the right direction as to where the harness you were talking about is please, or would I need an adaptor?

20190222_130738.jpg

the sync module behind the climate control (ie the black box) has the 54 pin connector. you put you extra pins from the back of the screen (10-12pins) into that 54 pin connector then that goes into the back of your big screen on your sync 2.

Thanks @Typhoonf2 👍.  I think I know what you mean, just got to strip the head unit and climate control out again and take another look.  I didn't want to muck about with wires in case I buggered up something else.

Just my 2p- I found the sync unit to be quite far back behind the AC controls on my ST. It’s definitely there lol :)

Cheers 👍, I think I had seen when I had the dash out earlier, but was more focused on where the wiring went from the harness by the gear stick as it appeared to go up by the glove box!?

Yes that’s the one! I had to snip a few cable ties to re route the main harness connector to the top :)

It’s behind the climate controls 👍🏻 Be interesting to see what’s what though as you said you have the bt/vc system which we are currently trying to see if it can be upgraded to sync. 

IF anyone needs any of the extra pins for the plugs then drop me a line as I have recently done this upgrade but had the advantage of a full loom to play with. That means I have plenty of spare pins so drop me a line and I can post some out to you.

Cheers to Luke and Phil for the guides and Luke for the assistance via text.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 7:36 PM, bookwyse said:

IF anyone needs any of the extra pins for the plugs then drop me a line as I have recently done this upgrade but had the advantage of a full loom to play with. That means I have plenty of spare pins so drop me a line and I can post some out to you.

Cheers to Luke and Phil for the guides and Luke for the assistance via text.

Jeff

I've sent you a PM mate.

👏Right chaps all fitted and 90%  working 😀. thanks to Luke and Phil 

just a few things to clear up I don't see park pilot on the screen but can hear it beeping . can this be done in forscan ?

bluetooth connects to iPhone plays music 👍but ..............................but can't hear any calls 🙄

any help would be brilliant thanks 

5 hours ago, bishbashbosh09 said:

👏Right chaps all fitted and 90%  working 😀. thanks to Luke and Phil 

just a few things to clear up I don't see park pilot on the screen but can hear it beeping . can this be done in forscan ?

bluetooth connects to iPhone plays music 👍but ..............................but can't hear any calls 🙄

any help would be brilliant thanks 

The park pilot setting is in the asbuilt dara for the apim 👍🏻 

The bluetooth issue is down to the bcm and ipc configuration which is changed using focccus 

Just a thought... my ST already had a USB port in the armrest as apart of the Sony system. Would there of been anything stopping me using the pins from the original harness down there? I mean I just tucked it away... it’s bugging me because sourcing the pins in the first place was an ***** lol!

cheers Luke 👍

park pilot sorted 👍

can't get passed the "can't init elm" in focccus ?

any ideas Luke ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club