Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

What harness is it that you have? Do you get any power at all?

Just now, JPW said:

What harness is it that you have? Do you get any power at all?

nothing at all bud will try send pictures now 

Is the cable you purchased SYNC 1 to SYNC 2 harness, or SYNC 3?

top harness is from America also the second harness one is for the f-150 or something but got no power to the screen but also the screen is missing the lvc cable is that a problem ?

1 minute ago, JPW said:

Is the cable you purchased SYNC 1 to SYNC 2 harness, or SYNC 3?

sync 3 bud

If everything is plugged in it should at a minimum get power once you turn the key. The wiring is the same for power, even if there might be slight differences in other parts (F150 is sometimes different)

Take the front fascia off and keep the new SYNC3 unit on your knee, plug it all in and try and take a picture with it all connected so we can see what you've connected to what 🙂

It could be a faulty harness or APIM/screen of course but that's not likely...

2 minutes ago, JPW said:

If everything is plugged in it should at a minimum get power once you turn the key. The wiring is the same for power, even if there might be slight differences in other parts (F150 is sometimes different)

Take the front fascia off and keep the new SYNC3 unit on your knee, plug it all in and try and take a picture with it all connected so we can see what you've connected to what 🙂

It could be a faulty harness or APIM/screen of course but that's not likely...

cheers bud will send pics soon has I have put me sync 1 back to normal 

17 hours ago, mullett said:

hey guys I have the harness and also bought the sync 3 screen and can't seem to get anything working  if anyone is willing to do this I would be very happy to pay for the troubles thanks guys 

The first thing to check is where the cable on APIM pin 1 (power) and APIM cable 18 (ground) are going to. And buying F150 harness was wrong thing to do.

A word of warning about the pre-built harnesses. I got 2 of them, one from China and one from the US. Both were sent back as neither worked. I didn't have problems with power, but once powered up, nothing really worked. When I checked the wiring, there were loads of wires missing and loads in the wrong place. For example, they had wired the MS_CAN to the wrong climate control connector. There were about 6 adapters/converters that provided pass-thru wiring and neither were correct. 

They were advertised as fitting a Focus 2014 as a PNP upgrade from Sync 1 to Sync 3.

The right lead for the Focus is this one below but looking at what Steevo25 has said I am glad I didn't bother and made my own lead from the camera adpater lead.

https://www.4dtech.com/4-to-8-pnp-conversion-harness-for-sync-2-3/

So did we establish that pins 51 and 52 are not required on UK spec cars.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 21.04.55.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 23.51.03.png

On 1/30/2021 at 8:33 PM, mullett said:

cheers bud will send pics soon has I have put me sync 1 back to normal 

Was you aware that sync 2 takes up to about 2 minutes to boot up from first boot or after battery has been disconnected. I assume sync 3 is the same. First time I plugged mine in to check I didn't think it worked and was just about to disconnect it when it came on.

The above harness will only work fully with Sync 2. It relies on the GPSM module that you only install with Sync 2. If upgrading directly to Sync 3 you will have a different GPS and then the harness above has no connection to MS_CAN. The harness I had contained an adapter that went to the climate connector (you plugged the original climate connector in to it then the other end of it plugged in to your climate panel). The problem was, it had the other connector that didn't have MS_CAN. 

According to the ETIS UK diagrams, pins 51 & 52 are not used on UK spec cars. There is no mention of the ACM connector pins anywhere in any of the diagrams. Only a note for Russia. I take from that, that in the UK, there is no need to play with the ACM connectors. If there is a need, then the ETIS diagrams are wrong or information missing. Those pins are mentioned on US spec cars. 

The price of those harnesses are ridiculous. Its a bit of plastic and re-pinning!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JPW said:

The price of those harnesses are ridiculous. Its a bit of plastic and re-pinning!

And you end up getting something that 99% will need to be modified because they are selling generic harnesses. I will do surgery to mine as soon as I receive pins etc needed. They may or not work only if sync 1 or sync 2 was installed before. For BVC, it cannot be plug n play or you lose some of APIM functions like programming or other issues regarding the frustrating ACM AACC pins 6 and 19.

HSCAN, MSCAN and MMcan are all needed for programming? Meaning APIM pins 53,54, 19, 20, 16, 17?

You need HS-CAN for APIM configuration via Forsfan etc, but the other CANs are still required for the rest of the vehicle to communicate with the APIM for normal operation.

8 hours ago, JPW said:

You need HS-CAN for APIM configuration via Forsfan etc, but the other CANs are still required for the rest of the vehicle to communicate with the APIM for normal operation.

So, only 53 and 54 HScan is required for programming? These are now connected to BCM 7 and 8 (HSCAN) but still cannot access APIM via clone UCDS...

1 minute ago, Arismfg said:

So, only 53 and 54 HScan is required for programming? These are now connected to BCM 7 and 8 (HSCAN) but still cannot access APIM via clone UCDS...

I also have MMCAN from FCDIM which sends nav data to IPC as normal. Only thing missing is MSCAN. I do not think it matters if MMCAN comes from FCDIM comes from BVC or FCDIM right?

No, it doesn't matter where each CAN comes from at all, they are all tied in to the same circuit around the car. Have you tried another ELM cable with a HS-CAN/MS-CAN switch?

6 hours ago, JPW said:

No, it doesn't matter where each CAN comes from at all, they are all tied in to the same circuit around the car. Have you tried another ELM cable with a HS-CAN/MS-CAN switch?

Waiting for genuine ELS cable to arrive to try forscan. I hope it is the clone UCDS that is not working (even though they said it should work). If forscan does not work, then I do not know what to do if only one HScan should be enough to program. They programmed for my car and can see on my VIN stated on sync 3 and my country code. So, it should not be a faulty APIM.

However, some people say that two hs channels are needed. Is there any option on APIM asbuilt that could block diagnostics or programming?

Not that I am aware of. Why not try a cheap £10 ELM to USB adapter with HS/MS-CAN, no need for a proper clone UCDS or ELS. That's what I use for Forscan/APIM programming and its fine.

Ok so I got it all in but I do have a couple of Gremlins.

Firstly, the radio panel does not do anything (i.e. the volume doesn't react, power on/off doesn't react and neither do any of the buttons). The right side steering wheel controls also do nothing. Does this sound like the connection to the old FCDIM screen connector? The hazards and door lock buttons work ok.

Also, when I first turned it on the navigation worked. I was lucky that the donor car was virtually the same specification as mine so didn't have to upload any asbuilt configuration. But, after I made the changes with Focccus detailed on page 1 of this thread, the navigation now says it has a problem. No idea on this one!!

Other than that, it does seem to be working in that the radio works (although I cannot set the volume anywhere or tune in any new stations because none of the buttons work), it connected to my WiFi and paired my phone via bluetooth and downloaded all my contacts.

Lastly, I enabled the reversing camera which works, but now I don't get the Park Pilot diagram on the screen. Everything beeps, but obviously there is a setting somewhere to turn this on. I turned the reverse camera on from the APIM Configuration screen in Forscan, I didn't use the hex values. Perhaps I should have?

I am basically running out of daylight today to check anything further.

UPDATE: Navigation is working. Seemed to be a delay but it works fine.

So not working is the radio panel, steering wheel controls and no Park Pilot with the rear camera. Interestingly, I enabled the reversing camers in Forscan, but in Focccus, it still says No Parking Aid Camera. But the camera works.

For the steering wheel buttons did you set the new  settings in Focccus? My steering wheel was the older one, with the volume controls on a separate stalk under the right D-PAD. This meant my right hand D-PAD now does nothing at all, and my left hand D-PAD now controls the IPC dash menu instead. But my stalk control for volume/seek still operate the radio.

For the OEM reverse camera, I lost the guided lines when you turn the wheel but you should retain the reverse sensor (distance in green, amber and red thing) if you have parking sensors.I believe this is because older MK3's used a separate camera module for the reverse camera but newer models didn't and SYNC 3 now processes these directly in the software but not compatible with the module.

Oh, just realised it's Park Pilot you are talking about. On the touchscreen, try going in to settings > vehicle and there are some options there.

The radio front panel uses MS-CAN to operate the buttons, what did you wire to where?

What year and model do you have?

I have a Focus MK3 2014 1.6tdci Titanium Navigator. I have buttons on the left of the steering wheel that control the mini screen in the cluster and then buttons on the right of the steering wheel that control the Sync. It is 5 buttons that have the voice button in the middle. 

Pins 7 and 4 of the radio bezel 8 pin connector are connected to the old FCDIM connector pins 4 and 5. The steering wheel control wires (pins 46 and 47) are also connected to the old FCDIM connector pins 7 and 10. 

I thought the Radio Panel used MM_CAN not MS_CAN. 

My MS_CAN is connected to the climate control wires grey-orange and violet-orange. 

My reverse camera is not OEM. It just uses an RCA connector connected to pins 14 and 15 of the Sync connector. I have the image and guidelines but just takes up the whole screen with no reverse parking sensor display. I do get the beeps. 

I made all the changes using Focccus as detailed on the first post in this thread. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club