Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Pass - Activation Pending

Focus68

Hi all!

About 2 weeks ago I picked up my brand new 1.0 Ecoboost ST Line X Focus. Everything on her runs beautifully, but my pet peeve is i cant get the Ford Pass app to connect.

I put the VIN in it, it brings up my car, and then it says i have to wait for a message to pop up on the SYNC 3 system, but nothing comes up. My app currently just says "activation pending"

I've set up the wifi hotspot and it works absolutely fine so I know its not that. I've deleted the car off my phone, deleted the app too, tried to set it up again and the same happens. I've even done a master reset of the sync system.

Ive rang the ford pass help line and they don't know whats wrong.

Wondering if anybody else has had a similar issue and if they have any ideas on how to resolve it!

Have you checked that you have allowed apps to run in the Sync3 menu?

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/20/2018 at 1:44 AM, Focus68 said:

Hi all!

About 2 weeks ago I picked up my brand new 1.0 Ecoboost ST Line X Focus. Everything on her runs beautifully, but my pet peeve is i cant get the Ford Pass app to connect.

I put the VIN in it, it brings up my car, and then it says i have to wait for a message to pop up on the SYNC 3 system, but nothing comes up. My app currently just says "activation pending"

I've set up the wifi hotspot and it works absolutely fine so I know its not that. I've deleted the car off my phone, deleted the app too, tried to set it up again and the same happens. I've even done a master reset of the sync system.

Wondering if anybody else has had a similar issue and if they have any ideas on how to resolve it!

Think of your vehicle as if it is a computer. When your modem gets stuck you have to unplug and let it completely shut down. Then when you plug it back in it resets its self and your network comes back up. 

Just disconnect the battery cables wait 10 minutes and reconnect. Start the vehicle up and let idle for about 20min. Follow the prompts on the screen. 

On the FordPass app remove vehicle and add a new vehicle. Follow the setup procedure.

Set mine up without problem. Wifi hotspot relates to initial free/optional Vodafone mobile  account. Are u sure Sync3 is connecting your own Wifi router ok as it sounds like that's what it could be waiting for.

On 6/15/2019 at 10:48 PM, Cgrays said:

Think of your vehicle as if it is a computer. When your modem gets stuck you have to unplug and let it completely shut down. Then when you plug it back in it resets its self and your network comes back up. 

Just disconnect the battery cables wait 10 minutes and reconnect. Start the vehicle up and let idle for about 20min. Follow the prompts on the screen. 

On the FordPass app remove vehicle and add a new vehicle. Follow the setup procedure.

There is also a TSB 17 - 2227 on this issue that applies to 2018 F150's. Go to your dealer be sure to tell them to do the TSB 17-2227 procedure. After that follow my instructions above. Everything will work again. 

• 4 months later...

Hi I have the same issue on Ford Focus 2018 and it is doing my brain in!! does the battery disconnection solution work?

Thanks

On 9/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, Focus68 said:

Hi all!

Hi Katie did you get this sorted? if so how?

Cheers

Jason

1 hour ago, sid47 said:

Hi I have the same issue on Ford Focus 2018 and it is doing my brain in!! does the battery disconnection solution work?

Thanks

You havnt said but I assume that you have the send data features turned on in connectivity settings on sync3

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure you remove the active cars, and add again when you are in the car with the car turned on.

There are a few messages that will pop up in the Sync screen, which you have to answer.

Had the same problem and that worked.

Dealership had mine in yesterday cause I couldn’t activate the vehicle, also Connectivity Settings and Hotspot Menu wouldn’t open.

the master tech tried all the remedies Ford gave him..none worked.

ended up disconnecting the battery for an hour....

touch wood ..all seems to be working. 

Hope that helps.

• 8 months later...

I like many others have purchased a new phone and then struggled to get the FordPass app to work properly on the new phone. Firstly, remove the vehicle from the app on your old phone, this is in the Vehicle Details section on the app, scroll to the bottom of the screen (last item in red). Then download the FordPass app to your new phone. Get into your car and switch the ignition on and wait for the Ford Sync system to load up on the in-car display screen. Once that has happened go to the settings option on the sync screen and then to the general option, scroll to the bottom of the screen and it will offer a Master Reset, select this option, then click yes. This takes a few minutes and during this process the screen will go black. Once completed the screen will start up as it did before and will work in the same way as it used to. At this point turn the vehicle off, get out of it, lock it and leave it for at least 2 minutes, this finalises the reset.  After this period get back into the car, but do NOT switch the ignition on. Go to your FordPass app, open the app and click add new vehicle, you will need to enter the VIN No. which is visible inside the drivers door or in the windscreen, remember any 0's are zeros (not part of the alphabet, a common mistake). Once you've successfully added the vehicle you can then switch the ignition on and after a few seconds you will see options on the sync display screen to allow your phone and FordPass to access the system. Click allow and that should be it. Hope this solves your problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Your instructions were spot on in resolving this issues.  I have been perplexed for two years, and no one has been able to help, including Ford.  Thank you.  

On 9/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, Focus68 said:

Hi all!

Hi, is your phone android or Apple , I had the same problem with my 2020 Puma but since my phone was android I had to change settings on my phone, 

• 3 months later...

I couldn't get things to work with the various suggestions above. I had to reset factory defaults and then it let me add the vehicle. What a pain, though; I now have to reprogram my radio and hopefully not SiriusXM (I didn't think to check that when I was in the car)...

• 2 months later...

I give up.  My F150 Lariat was preowned by another for 7,000 miles.  I’ve tried everything and was advised by 2 knowledgeable Ford techs to take to dealer for hard reboot. Several trips and was told I don’t have the module.  I’m able to connect snd receive part of the program but not all.  I’m tired of dealing with it but sure wish it would work.  The screen shows modem info.

Nope. Can't get fordpass to work at all, done master reset, reinstall etc. Phone shows "connection pending" for an hour or so, before going back to "activate vehicle", no connection screen comes up on the Sync, no connection settings options are in the settings menu. Both the dealer and Fordpass help desk have stopped communicating with me. How do I get this thing to work?

This might now be solved by getting into the Ford Pass settings via the mobile apps option while the phone was connected to the car. However Ford pass app on the phone is still defaulting to "activate vehicle", so still not 100% sure. Can't see any details of the car on the phone, tyre pressures etc?

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2021 at 10:26 AM, MattXL said:

This might now be solved by getting into the Ford Pass settings via the mobile apps option while the phone was connected to the car. However Ford pass app on the phone is still defaulting to "activate vehicle", so still not 100% sure. Can't see any details of the car on the phone, tyre pressures etc?

By the love of god!!! This actually solved my issue, I’ve had this for the last month on a brand new 2021 F-150 sync 4 system and I’ve had no luck trying to fix this activation pending problem, I’ve called Ford pass help line, my dealer, my so called computer wiz friends lol, to no avail, but your tip helped me out and got my problem solved.

Just plug in to the USB under the main system in the center console then on the touch screen of you car hit apps then mobile apps help, and as soon as I did that the notification came up on the screen to activate the Ford pass, hit ok, and voilà, got another notification on my phone from Ford pass saying that my vehicle authorization is complete!!

Mind you all that was done with the phone plugged in to the main USB of the car (the one the communicates with the radio), with the Ford pass app open, and a recent master reset done to the car cuss why not, the truck was just added to the Ford pass app and just waiting to be activated which I did by plugging it in to the usb

thanks a lot MattXL!!!

On 6/24/2021 at 8:57 AM, kW29 said:

By the love of god!!! This actually solved my issue, I’ve had this for the last month on a brand new 2021 F-150 sync 4 system and I’ve had no luck trying to fix this activation pending problem, I’ve called Ford pass help line, my dealer, my so called computer wiz friends lol, to no avail, but your tip helped me out and got my problem solved.

Just plug in to the USB under the main system in the center console then on the touch screen of you car hit apps then mobile apps help, and as soon as I did that the notification came up on the screen to activate the Ford pass, hit ok, and voilà, got another notification on my phone from Ford pass saying that my vehicle authorization is complete!!

Mind you all that was done with the phone plugged in to the main USB of the car (the one the communicates with the radio), with the Ford pass app open, and a recent master reset done to the car cuss why not, the truck was just added to the Ford pass app and just waiting to be activated which I did by plugging it in to the usb

thanks a lot MattXL!!!

Well I'm glad that worked for you, however I'm still stuck at "activation pending" Anyone else got any suggestions?

• 5 months later...

Finally got this sorted. Dealer installed update G218879 and that allowed Ford pass to connect. Don't know what the update contains, but haven't noticed any other changes, so may be a patch fix for this issue only

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club