Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing rear coil springs on Mk1 Focus

philp1863

My Focus is a 2001 Mk1. A number of years ago I replaced both rear coil springs, but had major problems when doing this.  I tried using some external coil spring compressor, but it was too big and awkward to do the job.  I ended up cutting seized bolts to replace the old springs.....total nightmare for me.

Unfortunately I need to replace one of these springs again.

Has anyone every used this internal spring compressor?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FreeTec-Pro-Internal-Coil-Strut-Remover-Coil-Spring-Compressor-Installer-Tool-/223328398183

Are they worth a try?

Thanks

Having done several of these now on mk1, mk2 and Mazda 3 I’d say probably  no chance with those. 

I use my hydraulic spring compressor and a long pry bar. Disconnect the roll bar linkage, bottom shock bolt and then lever the old spring out. New one needs compressing to fit but also a lever to hold the suspension down. A horrible job really.

usually need to rotate the spring to correct location in the seat and then adjust the top rubber mount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I’ve fitted rear springs with an internal spring compressor like the one in your link.It worked for me but it was tricky and potentially dangerous.When doing this job think safety and safety again.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s how I do it, remove the old ones with a pry bar. No big deal really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You stef123, F0CUE and williamweb for your very helpful replies.  Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I cant remember the details now, but I had big problems undoing some of the bolts last time I did this, One bolt snapped off ( I am sure that it will be even worse now), but the main issue was that the external spring compressors I had were simply to big and bulky to do the job.  Thanks for your important advice about safety, which I definitely take on board.  I will try this internal compressor. I will probably also use a couple of straps on the spring as a backup, in case the compressor fails.  I wont be in any rush.  I will try and undo the bottom shock bolt and use a lever to hold the suspension down ( I did not know about the lever last time, but will definitely do that this time).

Thanks again

There are some really good spring compressors on the market that are much safer than the one I used but are expensive.If I was doing the job again I would be looking for a more robust tool.I had a heavy duty chain in  my garage and wrapped it around the compressed spring.I also wore safety specs and gloves.The more times you do it the better you become at it👍

• Thanks 1

This is the spring compressor I use to get them back in place. I had experimented with a scissor jack instead of someone prying the suspension down but in all honesty it’s a waste of time lol.

By far the easiest way to remove the old ones is with a pry bar. 

I go with chopping the drop links off for a little more play. Unbolt the lower shock bolt and have someone hold the suspension down with a bar for whatever method of fitting you choose. 

Make sure the spring is sitting in the correct position in the lower cup and that the rubber boot on the top is in the correct position. 

B5BB16AC-6B69-4323-8200-71E9922DF90D.jpeg

3AB70531-3FAA-4760-A1A9-68C9424DD95B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  I will wait till the weather to warm up a bit and get on and do it.

Thanks for all your help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club