Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

2008 Ford Fiest Tdci Zetec or Petrol Which one?

LiamC96
聽Share

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a Ford Fiesta and would appreciate some advise.

I am looking to buy a 1.4 Fiesta 5dr but I am unable to decide on petrol or diesel. The amount of driving I do is to and from work and I have a new born so I suspect there will be some journeys shortly 馃檪

I am aware that one of the two is sluggish in lower revs and I would say where I live I would be going through higher revs on my journey for longer.

Fuel Prices are relatively the same nowadays so when it come to power ,performance and drivability聽which car would be the one to go for ??

Thank you.

I would go petrol as diesel are falling out of favour馃槂

Fuel prices are about 10p different at the pumps, but even with that the diesel will still be much cheaper on fuel if you're covering a lot of miles.聽 Tax is cheaper too.聽 Diesel is more torquey and easier to drive as well.

Really the only reason to avoid a diesel is the reduced reliability, particularly if you'll be doing a lot of cold and short runs.

I'd say diesel because of the torque and fuel consumption. I'd say get the 1.6 diesel engine as it has more power than the 1.4 plus road tax is the same and very slightly lower on claimed mpg. If you are looking at the mk7 fiesta I'm sure those diesel engines came with a DPF however you might not have to worry about that if you do long journeys most of the time.聽

I got a mk6 fiesta 1.6 diesel and insurance was only a 拢100 difference between the 1.4 and 1.6. I did however have a problem I noticed after a day of buying the car that one of the injectors was leaking.聽

If you live in London, Birmingham or Manchester I might wait at the moment as the London mayor wants to put a charge up for emissions in 2021 so if it does come in diesels mainly will get charged 拢12.50 a day when driven in these areas plus diesel car prices will reduce which is not great for us diesel owners who will get forced to sell 馃が

Not sure why you are specifically looking at 2008 but that would give you a choice between a very late Mk 6.5 or possibly a very early Mk 7.聽

If looking at diesel, the 1.4 is generally regarded as underpowered and the 1.6 is a much better bet as @zain611聽suggests. Petrol wise, I've heard it said that the 1.4 doesn't offer much advantage over the 1.25. I've had both a 1.6 diesel and a 1.25 petrol and they were both fine, though I'd agree with @TomsFocus and incline towards diesel if doing higher mileage ( unless you're in an emission zone).

• Like 1

Thank you all for you replies so far.

To be honest not really set on a particular year. I know each car has their upsides聽聽and downsides.And my aim is to get the car that best suits my driving style along with taking into account my area.聽I live on the outskirts of a very busy town I mainly encounter more open country road (single carriage way 60 mph) to avoid this and a short run on a dual carriageway.I am outside the emissions zone.

I hadn鈥檛 concidered the 1.6 diesel just presuming it would be much more expensive insurance.But I think this would be a better choice where I live.

what do you think. Thanks聽

I think you should check insurance between the the 2 diesel engines. With me when I was 19 it was only a 拢100 difference.聽

聽.

Edited by LiamC96
Wrong info

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club