Andyr55

Ford SYNC 3 updates

Recommended Posts

Hi

can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that I can update my S3 over WI-FI?

maps and software?

is it worth having auto update turned on.?

if not will my dealer do this free? I appreciate that’s a big ask as ford dealers charge for everything, don’t like to use the washroom in case they bill you. 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Hi Andrew, as mentioned in several threads, the Wi-Fi update is not currently operative in UK and several members have been advised by their dealers to turn off auto updates. Dealers generally seem willing to update software but not maps which seems to be regarded as a chargeable accessory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Hi Andrew, as mentioned in several threads, the Wi-Fi update is not currently operative in UK and several members have been advised by their dealers to turn off auto updates. Dealers generally seem willing to update software but not maps which seems to be regarded as a chargeable accessory.

^^^this √√√ ^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
9 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

Hi

can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that I can update my S3 over WI-FI?

maps and software?

is it worth having auto update turned on.?

if not will my dealer do this free? I appreciate that’s a big ask as ford dealers charge for everything, don’t like to use the washroom in case they bill you. 😏

At present, you need to use a USB drive to download the files from ford.co.uk. It a consumer update that is based on your VIN.

After I recently updated to F8 maps, my car did us its Wifi connection to inform Ford that update had been applied, so there is some interaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

avi, thanks

 

is there an idiots guide to download and apply the F8 update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andyr55 said:

avi, thanks

 

is there an idiots guide to download and apply the F8 update?

This should help, Just follow the instructions -  https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

Bear in mind some updates can only be applied in sequence, so depending on your existing version, it's worth checking again following the first update as more may be available (this is dependent on Ford being aware that an update has been applied).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm on Sync 3 18025 with F7 maps. I've now got the problem where Ford update says I've got a 0MB file.

Has anybody else managed to get F8 maps installed for their focus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
41 minutes ago, theroninhunter said:

Has anybody else managed to get F8 maps installed for their focus?

Yes, I'm on build 18025 and recently updated to F8 maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some have lthough I suspect it depends on your VIN ,but Ford have told me and others they have problems with the software and will be issuing a new version soon . Dealers also have the same problem. I have asked Ford crc for an update but have had no reply yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, avi said:

Yes, I'm on build 18025 and recently updated to F8 maps.

Could you host the files or list the contents autoinstall.lst file for me please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on build 18025 and updated to F8 today. 

I have no idea how to host the files though, it’s a 26G update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, theroninhunter said:

Could you host the files or list the contents autoinstall.lst file for me please?

I think this is the autoinstall.lst I used -

 

; SYNC3 Consumer Appplication Upgrade - Release 3.0.13 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.18025_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-TJB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TJB.tar.gz
Item2 = JR3T-14G424-BD
Open2 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G424-BD.tar.gz
Item3 = JR3T-14G421-BD
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-BD.tar.gz
Options = Delay
[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.18093]
Item1 = JR3T-14G421-BD
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-BD.tar.gz
Item2 = JR3T-14G422-BD
Open2 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G422-BD.tar.gz
Item3 = JR3T-14G423-AB
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz
Options = Delay,Include,Transaction
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = GB5T-14G386-AB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz
Options = Delay,Include,Transaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So I'm on Sync 3 18025 with F7 maps. I've now got the problem where Ford update says I've got a 0MB file. Has anybody else managed to get F8 maps installed for their focus?

 

 

I downloaded the update last week then did the update in the car yesterday and I’m now on F8.

 

Took about 2 hours and you need to have the engine running the whole time, apart from doing a ‘key cycle’ after around 30 minutes. Fortunately I was doing a 100 mile drive yesterday with lay-bys so I could stop and lock the car.

 

Before you do the map update you need to do a software update which only took about 15 mins.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Took about 2 hours and you need to have the engine running the whole time, apart from doing a ‘key cycle’ after around 30 minutes."

I know that your friendly main dealer isn't going to update your maps for you, but how (if you ask them) do they update Sync 3 generally? I'm assuming they don't leave the engine running in the workshop or let one of the apprentices drive the car round to his nan's for tea. Is there a bit of kit they have?

This Sync 3 updating lark is very reminescent of new variants of computer operating software. New computer with new software and six months of updating to follow.

It's all progress, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible, though I don't know, they put the car on some booster while updating. I generally plan and do mine during a run somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Oldster said:

"Took about 2 hours and you need to have the engine running the whole time, apart from doing a ‘key cycle’ after around 30 minutes."

I know that your friendly main dealer isn't going to update your maps for you, but how (if you ask them) do they update Sync 3 generally? I'm assuming they don't leave the engine running in the workshop or let one of the apprentices drive the car round to his nan's for tea. Is there a bit of kit they have?

This Sync 3 updating lark is very reminescent of new variants of computer operating software. New computer with new software and six months of updating to follow.

It's all progress, though.

The Sync update takes about 20mins, the mapping takes around 2hrs. 

The dealership can be updating the unit whilst they carry out a service or other short procedure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 6:42 PM, avi said:

At present, you need to use a USB drive to download the files from ford.co.uk. It a consumer update that is based on your VIN.

After I recently updated to F8 maps, my car did us its Wifi connection to inform Ford that update had been applied, so there is some interaction.

Yes but I see you are based in Ireland so your Wifi may work for you but not for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, billyboy said:

Yes but I see you are based in Ireland so your Wifi may work for you but not for us.

I'm in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2017 focus titanium x sync 3.0 build 18025, Ford website using vin says sync is up to date but 25GB map update (I’m assuming is the F8) also my screen is the 8” display

a friend has a 19 plate fiesta with the sync 3.3 build 18261 (I think)

is it possible to update my sync to 3.3 or is 3.0 the max it can have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 7:51 AM, avi said:

I'm in the UK.

You might want to update your forum profile to reflect this and avoid future confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rdc74656 said:

I have a 2017 focus titanium x sync 3.0 build 18025, Ford website using vin says sync is up to date but 25GB map update (I’m assuming is the F8) also my screen is the 8” display

a friend has a 19 plate fiesta with the sync 3.3 build 18261 (I think)

is it possible to update my sync to 3.3 or is 3.0 the max it can have?

There is more than one version of Sync 3 hardware. IIRC the latest is from Panasonic and has more memory than the earlier version, hence it's likely there are software differences which is why the update is based in VIN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, avi said:

There is more than one version of Sync 3 hardware. IIRC the latest is from Panasonic and has more memory than the earlier version, hence it's likely there are software differences which is why the update is based in VIN.

So does that mean the 3.3 version will not be compatible with my sync?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rdc74656 said:

So does that mean the 3.3 version will not be compatible with my sync?

I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect not if it's designed for different hardware version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah well....I can’t remember what make my sync is, it’s the one with the screen that’s sunk in to the centre console where as my friends is the one that sort of sticks out like a glued iPad to the console.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently installed the latest software issue into my 2019 mk4 Focus ( version 3.3 build 18351) , the map udate for me has always been F8 with 0MB. Today iv'e noticed that when I check for the correct map update the site is saying try again later, i am hoping that they may have fixed the issue with the 0MB download and when the site comes back online it will show the correct download. Here's Hoping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.