Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ECOBOOST worries

Hendo91

Alright ford family I have a 09 focus petrol but have saved enough to buy a 2017/2018 focus looking at titanium or st line x with the 1.0 ecoboost I have seen so many posts on Facebook and the internet of these coolant pipes going and all that stuff surely these problems have been fixed by now ? Please help any advice is welcome 

Yep the old coolant pipes are of great concern if someone didn't know about the potential for disaster, even the upgraded pipe for the mk 3 which came in 2014 I think? is a crappy design and could still easily fail coz of a plastic T piece.  The good news is its an easy fix for the mk 3 by replacing them with mk 3.5 hoses, there are details about that in this thread: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/96502-ecoboost-degas-hose-question/#comments 

I regularly open my bonnet to check coolant and oil no matter what vehicle but plenty of peeps don't.  If you're also aware they make coolant reservoirs out of ***** plastic with a limited lifespan as well (cracking eventually), as long as you keep an eye on these things you'll not have a problem. 

there is a problem with rusty coolant pipes going in and out of the turbo. If not bad they can be cleaned up and painted. They are part of the turbo so can't be replaced without replacing the turbo. Not too sure what year the problem goes up to. I have not heard on this forum of any actually failing (rusting all the way through) but there have been plenty of pictures on this forum showing some very scabby ones which would cause worry

Does anyone know if the "coolant pipes" problem is now sorted out on the new Ford Focus as I am considering buying a new one?  Many thanks.

53 minutes ago, Mindy said:

Does anyone know if the "coolant pipes" problem is now sorted out on the new Ford Focus as I am considering buying a new one?  Many thanks.

New as in brand new Mk4 Focus?  Yes, there are no common coolant problems on those so far.  

It will also be a newer spec engine with extra sensors, extra pump, etc which weren't fitted to the early ones.

• Like 1

Thank you Tom and Alex.!  Yes Tom I was thinking of buying "Brand New".  The pipes problem has been worrying me.  Why are you driving a Golf.? (Just out of interest).

43 minutes ago, Mindy said:

Why are you driving a Golf.? (Just out of interest).

Because the Mk3 Focus was awful... :laugh:   If I could afford a Mk4, I've give them a go though, it's a completely different car & engine now. :smile: 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club