Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers side indicator problem

Monks600

Got a really odd issue on my FOCUS ST MK3 Pre-facelift.

Out of no where I when indicating right the turn signal light would flash faster than normal, but intermittently.

I thought, ok, just need to change the bulb on either the front or back as it’s on it’s way out.

Changed both bulbs and still the same issue. I’ve also noticed that sometimes now when locking and unlocking the car, the drivers side indicators, front are rear sometimes do not flash.

Got in the car this morning, everything back to normal and no issues what so ever. 10 mins in to driving and went to indicate right and the turn signal light is flashing faster than normal again.

I’ve swapped every single bulb in the head light unit on the drivers side and the tail light unit on the drivers side. Issue is still there but intermittent. Any ideas at all? I’m at a loss.

Are there any fuses or relays I need to check on the mk3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like dirty contacts in the indicator relay. I don't know which it is offhand, but you should be able to unclip the cover once you have it out and clean the contacts with some very (very very) fine sandpaper, or even a fairly abrasive cloth.

Edit, Actually, having said that, that wouldn't explain why it is only one side. Does it do it with hazards on?

Might be possible to rule out the relay once located by swapping with an identical one from another circuit in the car.

• Like 1

Sounds like dirty contacts in the indicator relay. I don't know which it is offhand, but you should be able to unclip the cover once you have it out and clean the contacts with some very (very very) fine sandpaper, or even a fairly abrasive cloth.

Assuming the relay would be in the fuse box in the engine bay? Looked through the owners manual and couldn’t find anything on the fuse lists that relate to indicators. Also assuming the owners manual doesn’t mention relays lol?

===========

This will not work on a Focus MK3/MK3.5.

The Focus MK3/MK3.5 does not have a changeable turn signal relay. On these cars the turn signal relay is fully integrated onto the circuit board of the BCM (Body Control Module). All of the (micro) relays integrated into the BCM are surface mounted (SMD) relays which are soldered directly onto the circuit board

==========

The above was posted in a different thread by Wilco, @JW1982 who is considered extremely knowledgeable on this stuff.

Looks like I couldn't have been more wrong! Sorry about that.

Regardless, if it only happening on one side, that sort of ruled out the relay in the first place.

I had the same thing happen to a Hyundai accent and it was the relay at fault, but it affected both sides of the car.

Found this elsewhere. Something to check:

Found this elsewhere. Something to check:

First thing I came across, checked my connectors and all fine and checked contacts with a multi meter too.

Worth resetting the bcm in forscan? Or any other suggestions? At my witts end with this one :(

Or is there any way in to forscan to stop monitoring the resistance of the bulbs?

What I’ve just noticed, the indicators on the mirrors stay on without any issues. Separate circuit/ non Canbus?

So, bit more reading and digging and everything is pointing to the BCM.

Need to check fuses F11 and 41 in the engine bay as these are for the BCM.

Will replace them for good measure to eliminate any possible issues fuse related.

Looks like all lighting internal and some external is controlled by the BCM which is essentially the fuse box behind the glove box.

Before I start this in the morning, is there any harm in resetting the BCM?

The BCM needs to be reset after you change your battery, so I can’t see any problems with resetting it to see if this solves your problem. 

The BCM needs to be reset after you change your battery, so I can’t see any problems with resetting it to see if this solves your problem. 

Cheers for the reply. I’ll give that a go.
Just out of curiosity, are the wing mirror indicators Canbus monitored? I recently placed some leds in them and had no issues. I’ve changed the bulbs back to halogen since this issue became apparent to try and eliminate every possible cause.

I’m just baffled as this car has never missed a beat and never had any issues at all. Spent the best part of today troubleshooting.

I'm not sure if they are monitored tbh. I'm hoping not because I have just bought some sequential LED units for my mirrors, they should arrive soon.

Hopefully someone else will be able to answer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if they are monitored tbh. I'm hoping not because I have just bought some sequential LED units for my mirrors, they should arrive soon.

Hopefully someone else will be able to answer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Those are the ones I’ve fitted to mine 3 weeks ago and had no issues what so ever. I’ve swapped back to halogen until I get this weird issue sorted. They are absolutely amazing.

You need to identify which bulb isn't flashing and concentrate on the circuitry involved in that

THESE are the ones I bought, can’t wait for them to arrive lol

i watched a video on how to replace the unit and it looked pretty complicated, have to remove the glass, remove the mirror cap and feel around for some invisible catch. I went out and had a look, got the cap off and the unit out without even removing the glass.

odd thing was that when I went to move the mirror glass back to the correct position with the switch it didn’t move, neither side did. I checked the fuse and it wasn’t there!?! It was there previously because I’ve adjusted the mirrors before, very odd.

You need to identify which bulb isn't flashing and concentrate on the circuitry involved in that

That’s the problem, all the bulbs are flashing yet the signal light behind the steering wheel is flashing rapidly.

I’ve replaced every single bulb on both the front and rear unit thinking it could be bad grounding of another bulb in the headlight or rear unit but no dice unfortunately.

It’s very intermittent, what’s interesting is the bulbs will still flash with the right signal flashing faster behind the steering wheel but I go to unlock or lock the car, both front and rear on the drivers side shows no indicators flashing but only the side mirror indicator. It’s so odd.

2 minutes ago, Hearsepilot said:

I don’t think he has identified which bulb it is, the flasher in the car is going faster when indicating right is all, or that the way I read it.

THESE are the ones I bought, can’t wait for them to arrive lol
i watched a video on how to replace the unit and it looked pretty complicated, have to remove the glass, remove the mirror cap and feel around for some invisible catch. I went out and had a look, got the cap off and the unit out without even removing the glass.
odd thing was that when I went to move the mirror glass back to the correct position with the switch it didn’t move, neither side did. I checked the fuse and it wasn’t there!?! It was there previously because I’ve adjusted the mirrors before, very odd.

Exactly same seller and ones I bought lol! :)
And that’s really odd, must admit I did adjust the mirrors with the engine running? Pretty sure you can’t adjust them without ignition? Might be worth a check :) also check if your heated mirrors work too.

Just to clarify, the flasher inside the car goes quick? What is happening outside when this happens? 

Just now, Monks600 said:

Exactly same seller and ones I bought lol! 🙂
And that’s really odd, must admit I did adjust the mirrors with the engine running? Pretty sure you can’t adjust them without ignition? Might be worth a check 🙂 also check if your heated mirrors work too.

What did you pay for them? I offered him £18 and he took it 😁

i put a 10a fuse in the correct slot in the rear fuse box and everything worked perfect, just odd that it was missing. Who the f#ck took it lol

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the flasher inside the car goes quick? What is happening outside when this happens? 

The right side lights flash quick for about two flashes but then go back to normal whilst the interior signal light is flashing really quick. It’s just strange but irritating. I wouldn’t mind but I don’t have faith in the right side indicators working, especially with it getting dark earlier etc. Don’t want to be that idiot who looks like he doesn’t indicate when I am lol

Left side is perfectly fine.

What did you pay for them? I offered him £18 and he took it [emoji16]

i put a 10a fuse in the correct slot in the rear fuse box and everything worked perfect, just odd that it was missing. Who the f#ck took it lol

LOL! I must admit, when a fuse has gone and I don’t have any on me, I pinched one from something that isn’t critical. Always remembered to replace it when I got home though!

Edit: just checked, paid £25! You lucky sod!

2 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

The right side lights flash quick for about two flashes but then go back to normal whilst the interior signal light is flashing really quick. It’s just strange but irritating. I wouldn’t mind but I don’t have faith in the right side indicators working, especially with it getting dark earlier etc. Don’t want to be that idiot who looks like he doesn’t indicate when I am lol

Left side is perfectly fine.

I take it the hazards flash as they should then 🤷🏻‍♂️

Strange that they don’t flash when you lock/unlock the car

I take it the hazards flash as they should then [emoji2371]
Strange that they don’t flash when you lock/unlock the car

Yup! Hazards are spot on! And yeah, it’s really odd. From what I’ve read and what Phil mentioned the hazards are controlled through the BCM module and I honestly can’t see that being the issue but I don’t know...

Going to try resetting the BCM module through forscan tomorrow and also replacing some fuses. Failing that, I’m out of options.

Just a thought, could it be possible the switch contact in the indicator stalk is dodgy or dirty?

That might explain why it's right side only, and is fine when hazards are on...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

Exactly same seller and ones I bought lol! 🙂
And that’s really odd, must admit I did adjust the mirrors with the engine running? Pretty sure you can’t adjust them without ignition? Might be worth a check 🙂 also check if your heated mirrors work too.

Hooo mannn these are nice!! 

I've had some smoked ones in my eBay basket for ages but they were £70 per side!

I have just pur-chased a set of these and will wait patiently for them to arrive.......

Why aren't they here yet??????!!!??

• Like 1

Just a thought, could it be possible the switch contact in the indicator stalk is dodgy or dirty?
That might explain why it's right side only, and is fine when hazards are on...

You know what, that would make a lot of sense. Isn’t that accessible in a similar fashion to when we retrofitted Sync 2? One torx boot on the drivers side then the full cover under neath the steering wheel comes off?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club