Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers side indicator problem

Monks600

Hooo mannn these are nice!! 
I've had some smoked ones in my eBay basket for ages but they were £70 per side!
Is this for a pair???

For a pair :) they look amazing and are so much clearer and brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

You know what, that would make a lot of sense. Isn’t that accessible in a similar fashion to when we retrofitted Sync 2? One torx boot on the drivers side then the full cover under neath the steering wheel comes off?

Yeah it's easy enough to get the cowl off, might be worth a check?

It's also worth resetting the BCM first though!

• Like 1

Yeah it's easy enough to get the cowl off, might be worth a check?
It's also worth resetting the BCM first though!

I just hope I can fix it, it’s driving me insane and I’m slowly losing my patience with it. With it being intermittent, i doubt it could be the BCM now?

Well, at least in the morning I’ve got a few much things to try!

12 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

I've had some smoked ones in my eBay basket for ages but they were £70 per side!

I have just pur-chased a set of these and will wait patiently for them to arrive.......

Why aren't they here yet??????!!!??

Mine aren’t due till the end of the month, I’m not good at waiting!

I have just pur-chased a set of these and will wait patiently for them to arrive.......

Why aren't they here yet??????!!!??

Same seller on amazon does them next day delivery for an extra tenner :)

1 minute ago, Monks600 said:

Same seller on amazon does them next day delivery for an extra tenner 🙂

Sold!!

I shouldn't have looked - I've just seen some very nice headlights for the 3.5 for £380...

Good job I don't have a 3.5!!!

Sold!!

Actually, they’re cheaper than I thought!

1 Pair Dynamic Smoked LED Turn Signal Light Mirror Indicator for Focus 2008-2016 (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VWPP6VT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_754QDbXWF0XS6

I’ll save the tenner and put it towards my next bright idea lol

i think I might grab myself some 4D gel plates and a black sunstrip next.

would also like to wrap the mirror covers in black but may settle with just plastidipping them 🤷🏻‍♂️

@Phil21185 are the side repeaters on the mirror CANbus monitored?

Going back to the topic, I'm wondering about the stalk, actually that isn't likely to explain why they don't flash on lock/unlock.

So you have 4 indicator bulbs per side? With your halos as well I mean.

Can you check if the bulbs actually copy the dash? They probably do. Also, do your halos flash on lock?

3 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I’ll save the tenner and put it towards my next bright idea lol

i think I might grab myself some 4D gel plates and a black sunstrip next.

would also like to wrap the mirror covers in black but may settle with just plastidipping them 🤷🏻‍♂️

@Phil21185 are the side repeaters on the mirror CANbus monitored?

No. I put terribly cheap amber LEDs in when I first de-egged the car and it never threw a dash fault.

One of them crapped out a few months later and still no fault. Makes me wonder how long it was like that for...

What are 4D gel plates?

Edit: nvm, I have google at the top of my phone screen dont I??!

• Haha 1

Going back to the topic, I'm wondering about the stalk, actually that isn't likely to explain why they don't flash on lock/unlock.
So you have 4 indicator bulbs per side? With your halos as well I mean.
Can you check if the bulbs actually copy the dash? They probably do. Also, do your halos flash on lock?

Ok, stood at the window lighting up my darkly lit coulde sack and this is what I’ve observed.

On lock and unlock, all the lights are now working as they should! And they are all in sync too.

What the f***?!

Before, non of the left side were working apart from the halos and the wing mirror indicators on the drivers side. Everything lit up fine on the passengers side.

The plot thickens...

6 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

Ok, stood at the window lighting up my darkly lit coulde sack and this is what I’ve observed.

On lock and unlock, all the lights are now working as they should! And they are all in sync too.

What the f***?!

Before, non of the left side were working apart from the halos and the wing mirror indicators on the drivers side. Everything lit up fine on the passengers side.

The plot thickens...

Glad I could help! 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

That sounds like a bad earth. If the halos take a feed from the inds, and have always been working when the inds are not then the BCM is sending power as and when it should.

But then, iirc, the clusters have a common earth for all bulbs...?

Have you had halogens in the clusters all this time?

Anyway, wife telling me it's time to put my phone down as she's trying to sleep! I'll check back with you in the morning!

Glad I could help! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

LOL.

So, just turned the ignition on and indicated right and the interior signal is now flashing at a normal rate.Fully started the car and just went for a quick drive around the corner and a few minutes in to my drive I’ve indicated right and the signal flashes rapidly but the bulbs seem to be at normal speed from what I can tell.

Pulled up at home and locked and unlocked the car and now the drivers side is dead again apart from the wing mirror and halos.

This honestly doesn’t make any sense what so ever.

Do I now start turning left everywhere I go? Not sure how that would work when joining a motorway haha.

Honestly thought you fixed it then Phil! :(

Edit: yes, halogens in the clusters since day one. Like I said before, swapped out every single bulb in the front and rear clusters to eliminate a bulb on it’s way out.

Now that is weird. So to summarise:

Intermittent problem, but when occurs:

Signalling right only,

All bulbs flash normally but dash icon hyper flashes,

On lock/unlock, front and rear clusters which are normal bulbs do not flash, but;

Mirror repeater and fog halo which are led do.

That about right?

How did you splice into your indicators for the fogs? I'm still thinking bad earth somewhere, but also thinking possible water ingress.

It's time to unplug the halos and see if that helps I think.

It sounds like for some reason there is not enough power getting round the circuit to light the normal bulbs, but of course the LEDs take much much less power so will light. 

That's the only thing I can think of which would explain why one type of bulb will light but another won't. The causes though I'm at a loss really. It's got to be a bad connection or a short - I can't see any other reason for it to be intermittent.

I've never heard of the dash flashing differently to the bulbs though, that is totally weird.

Have you reset the BCM yet?

• Like 1

You should start checking the BCM for corrosion caused by washer fluid. This is a known problem of the Focus MK3/MK3.5. 

Some production batches of the windscreen washer pump did have a manufacturing defect. As a result of this defect the washer fluid is pumped into the electrical connector of the washer pump. The watertight seals of the connector prevents the washer fluid from leaking at the connector side. However because of the watertight seals the washer fluid is pushed between the wiring cores and the wiring insulation. Eventually the washer fluid will enter the BCM and can cause several electrical problems. 

Just remove all of the BCM connectors and visually check for any moisture or corrosion. In case of any doubts remove and disassemble the BCM to inspect the circuit boards. If no corrosion or washer fluid residue is detected the washer pump can be ruled out as the cause of the problem. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

You should start checking the BCM for corrosion caused by washer fluid. This is a known problem of the Focus MK3/MK3.5. 

Some production batches of the windscreen washer pump did have a manufacturing defect. As a result of this defect the washer fluid is pumped into the electrical connector of the washer pump. The watertight seals of the connector prevents the washer fluid from leaking at the connector side. However because of the watertight seals the washer fluid is pushed between the wiring cores and the wiring insulation. Eventually the washer fluid will enter the BCM and can cause several electrical problems. 

Just remove all of the BCM connectors and visually check for any moisture or corrosion. In case of any doubts remove and disassemble the BCM to inspect the circuit boards. If no corrosion or washer fluid residue is detected the washer pump can be ruled out as the cause of the problem. 

Told you he was knowledgeable!

Thanks Wilco. Come to think of it, I had the washer pump die on me out of the blue not long after buying (3 years old at the time). I never found the cause and just assumed it had worn out and replaced it.

Edit, how come you've only got twice as many points as me, yet you're 30 times as knowledgeable and helpful??!😭😭

Just gone out to the car this morning so now comes the fun of checking everything.

Thanks so much to you all, absolutely amazing community on here.

I’ll report back soon with my findings

Well, it turns out it was the wing mirror turn signal led indicators in the end.

I had already tested this but obviously not for long enough.

Put halogens back in and straight away, same issue. So I decided to make something to eat and to my amazement everything started working again as normal when I had gone back out to the car. Left the car for say 20 mins?

Looks like the BCM needs time to adjust to replacing a bulb and it seems the wing mirror indicators are indeed on the Canbus.

Went for a drive and not missed a beat when indicating. So, all in all... dodgy led replacement wing mirror repeater.

I’m hoping it was just a faulty unit as the passengers side is fine.

Such a weird and bizarre issue... again, thanks for all your help and support. It’s been an interesting weekend!!!

How long have you had the LED units in the mirror? Have you put the halogen bulbs and original units back in the mirrors now?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Monks600 said:

Well, it turns out it was the wing mirror turn signal led indicators in the end.

I had already tested this but obviously not for long enough.

Put halogens back in and straight away, same issue. So I decided to make something to eat and to my amazement everything started working again as normal when I had gone back out to the car. Left the car for say 20 mins?

Looks like the BCM needs time to adjust to replacing a bulb and it seems the wing mirror indicators are indeed on the Canbus.

Went for a drive and not missed a beat when indicating. So, all in all... dodgy led replacement wing mirror repeater.

I’m hoping it was just a faulty unit as the passengers side is fine.

Such a weird and bizarre issue... again, thanks for all your help and support. It’s been an interesting weekend!!!

Well I wasn't expecting that. I've never had an error on these, even when I've had a bulb go out.

Glad you got it sorted anyway.

Do I have to cancel my order now??

How long have you had the LED units in the mirror? Have you put the halogen bulbs and original units back in the mirrors now?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

About a month, and yes put halogens back in. Had to wait for the BCM to recognise the range though... good 15/20 mins and then the hyper flashing stopped.

I’ve contacted the seller for an explanation :)

Well I wasn't expecting that. I've never had an error on these, even when I've had a bulb go out.
Glad you got it sorted anyway.
Do I have to cancel my order now??

I wonder if it’s because mines the ST model? No idea. And it’s such a weird issue. The fact the BCM took its time to recognise the original halogen bulb was back in place is bizarre.

And, don’t cancel your order. Stuff happens, my friend has them in his and he’s had them for over a year now with no issue. Probably just a bad batch that’s all.

Like with everything, stuff happens and warranty is there for a reason :)

Ah to be fair the listing says not suitable for st. Maybe this is why?

• Like 1

Ah to be fair the listing says not suitable for st. Maybe this is why?

Didn’t even spot that, I always thought the mk3 wiring harness and Canbus system was the same across all mk3’s and just extra connector taped up in the loom and certain features disabled.

The fact it worked for a while though is weird then all off a sudden caused some mental breakdown of the drivers side lights front and rear.

I also have a set of led dynamic turn indicators in the door mirrors. It does seem to be rather hit-and-miss whether you get a good set or not. The reviews on amazon are very varied. Mine work perfectly & I really like them.  I fitted them with the hazard lights switched on so that I could tell that they were plugged in correctly - if you push the connector in too far they don't work.

Afterwards there was a fault code stored - door indicator failure - which I cleared.

The ones that I bought are the white ones here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TQ3F195/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Looks like the seller no longer does the white ones, the link above redirects to the black colour)

The video in the reviews is mine.

Jeff

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club