Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre wall damage

redzzed

2010 focus  1.6tdci  titanium

Have just 2 weeks ago replaced a nearside front budget tyre   205/50r17  due  to  tyre wall damage ..gash/tear

and just 2 WEEKS LATER  the same has happened to the new budget tyre .

I cannot beleive it and have been driving for 45 years

and have been driving focus'  for  5 years .Have not had this problem on any other wheel .

the parking is very congested  and difficult to find  in this city  but although i sometimes do catch the kerb slightly , not severely enough to cause this .

my judgement is a bit out  on focus' , probably due  to   the fluted wings.

the budget tyre was a Landsail

any one else have this prob ..or is it  me ? 😕😕

• Like 1

the mk 2 is super wide

between mirrors they are 6" wider than a Merc E class of the same era

all of which comes in to play as no one maintained the edge of the roads in the last 30 years and most hedgerows have collapsed narrowing roads by 3 foot (1.5 each side) and since euro ncap brought in side impact testing the average car grew 10 inches wider.... so with both elements in play the 5 foot gap in the middle of the road for motorcyclists to make good progress has been removed and exchanged for two smashed door mirrors or the NSF getting trashed...   

• Like 1

For the sakes of durability and budget I ran Aptany SportMacro RA301 for a short while, actually a half decent tyre for what it was but I did give them some stick, mostly harsh concrete with some gravelly stuffs that I knew would probably ruin better rubber much quicker. They held up well to give them credit, had a few knocks and took them fine, but were dirt cheap.

Depends on what you want great tyres on a budget, they can be found in the Roadstone Eurovis Sport 04, they're a cracking tyre for the money - I've put posts up before of how decent they are but for the 205 50 17 size they can be had new for £38-£45 a corner (my last check at least) and they do last. I had to evac at ~45mph on to a steep kerb following a truck suddenly overstepping a corner and it absolutely nailed my N/S/F, it's actually been checked and still working although of course advised to swap out sooner rather than later...

Pics attached, but they had a lip that saved my recently refurbed wheels so chuffed for £38 on the 18"s. The damage looks worse than it is, it's pretty much just surface by contrast to its appearance, but you can see almost where the reinforcement bar starts and took the hit just under the scar. Tough unit really, gave the other half a right wake up shock, it wasn't a lightweight impact by any means..

20191125_194159.jpg

20191125_194120.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

wow  sorry for late reply , have reluctantly come to the conclusion that's it's  my  lousy driving ! Because  the wings are fluted  it's harder to judge

the distance to the kerb , the roads are so narrow  and packed where i live  that you can hardly squeeze past  those big(tanks )4 x 4  jobs that  many like to clog  the roads with nowadays ,when they are coming in the opposite direction . I have changed the tyre  and .............nooooooooooooo , knocked a chip out of the replacement  .

I've been driving for  46 years...44  of which i have never had this problem . It' a real  come uppance . 🤪

the alloys  were  marked like that  when i bought the car , that's a seperate issue .

IMG_7703.JPG

if you pull that flap of rubber back, can you see the reinforcement strands of the tyre? if so, that's not good

I'm getting experienced at knackering my tyres , it's always  the nearside front  btw  , the previous two have been even worse than this  one 😧

and yet  when i go to a tyre  place (and they want to sell you tyres) they say  it's still legal and ok to use .

if it's not bulging there and it has not gone as deep as the reinforcement threads/fibres/strands it is OK

• Like 1

I've also done this quite recently on a new tyre that was fitted for just a couple of weeks. After checking that it hadn't gone down to the reinforcement and wasn't bulging I just glued it back using impact adhesive. It's been fine since and I can't now see the repair.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, redzzed said:

wow  sorry for late reply , have reluctantly come to the conclusion that's it's  my  lousy driving ! Because  the wings are fluted  it's harder to judge

the distance to the kerb , the roads are so narrow  and packed where i live  that you can hardly squeeze past  those big(tanks )4 x 4  jobs that  many like to clog  the roads with nowadays ,when they are coming in the opposite direction . I have changed the tyre  and .............nooooooooooooo , knocked a chip out of the replacement  .

I've been driving for  46 years...44  of which i have never had this problem . It' a real  come uppance . 🤪

the alloys  were  marked like that  when i bought the car , that's a seperate issue .

IMG_7703.JPG

Strangely enough when I picked up my ST in December exactly the same type of damage to the sidewall but mine was in the nearside rear

Have just 2 weeks ago replaced a nearside front budget tyre   205/50r17  due  to  tyre wall damage ..gash/tear
and have been driving focus'  for  5 years .Have not had this problem on any other wheel .
the parking is very congested  and difficult to find  in this city  but although i sometimes do catch the kerb slightly , not severely enough to cause this .

any one else have this prob ..or is it  me ? [emoji53][emoji53]
I popped a landsail 205 50 r17 front drivers side.. on my mondeo years ago..mounting the kerb to park the car up so it was a relatively slow manouvre, inside wall just gave way...crappy cheapo tyres..went to goodyear grand prix .now on Hankook ventus v12, budget tyres are a really bad idea End!.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

On 11/24/2019 at 7:35 PM, redzzed said:

any one else have this prob ..or is it  me ? 😕😕

Same thing happened to my daughters C,max she has budget all 4 changed at same time then front drivers side side wall blew out luckly she was not far from home. when I looked at it the hole  but split three ways outwards looked like someone pushed a large spike from inside of tyre. I told her to get a part worn and see if it happens again.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Drive in the centre of the lane guys ☺️

• Like 1

Get a set of These things you can see everything. Amazing add on extends all points of view if you move them down slightly you can see the kerb distance. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Get a set of These things you can see everything amazing add on extends all points of view if you move them down slightly you can see the kerb distance. 

Had these on all my cars in the last 40 years, love them!

P1050420.thumb.JPG.6d1a3dc4dd9a4c7a8b6d4225283a1b01.JPG

• Like 1

Drive in the centre of the lane guys [emoji3526]
You are correct there..[emoji108]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club