Sign in to follow this  
David230757

Pre collision alert false alarms

Recommended Posts

Even after I turned the sensitivity right down I still had disconcerting red flashing pre-collision alerts a couple of times on the motorway when I could see nothing wrong, And several times when I was going down my drive and not in danger of hitting anything. But also there's also a multistory car park that makes it go off like crazy so I took a video which the dealer sent on to Ford. They've now replaced the front camera under warranty and checked everything is calibrated properly but I'm still getting the same problem.

Is this normal behaviour? I found a reference to the alert being triggered by street furniture. I think it's a dangerous distraction if it happens on the motorway for no good reason. Thanks, David

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi David.  I've never had exactly the same situation as yours but I get false alerts occasionally.  Sometimes when there is a slip road from a motorway or when a car is turning in front of me and I can judge the distance / speed much more effectively than the system can.

I'm afraid, for me, its just another Ford technological 'feature' on the new Fiesta that doesn't quite work 🤨.

Thankfully I've not had it apply the brakes in error yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I test drove a new Puma the other week (seperate thread) and this thing was going off every time I passed a parked car! Thankfully I don't have it on my car - I think it came as part of an optional pack. Can it not be turned off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Hi David.  I've never had exactly the same situation as yours but I get false alerts occasionally.  Sometimes when there is a slip road from a motorway or when a car is turning in front of me and I can judge the distance / speed much more effectively than the system can.

I'm afraid, for me, its just another Ford technological 'feature' on the new Fiesta that doesn't quite work 🤨.

Thankfully I've not had it apply the brakes in error yet.

I’ve had it happen 3 times since owning mine in December, didn’t know it could apply the breaks as well, I guess it could depend on what sensor is activated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I test drove a new Puma the other week (seperate thread) and this thing was going off every time I passed a parked car! Thankfully I don't have it on my car - I think it came as part of an optional pack. Can it not be turned off?

Yeah it was part of some pack the previous owner had spec'd - never would have done it myself.  It can't be completely turned off.

3 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I’ve had it happen 3 times since owning mine in December, didn’t know it could apply the breaks as well, I guess it could depend on what sensor is activated?

You can adjust the levels of intervention and sensitivity - such as setting it to only alert but not apply brakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that looked at, you could be doing 50mph and then it activates and applies the brakes ,dangerous me thinks.Anti collision more like cause one thank god i dont have that ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worrying thing is that autonomous emergency braking, like speed limiters, is part of the next package of compulsory safety kit from 2022. Need to buy a new car before then! Tbh the way this stuff is going I'd rather use the bus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're probably too late as its already being fitted on loads of new models including Fords eg Focus4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tef89 said:

Yeah it was part of some pack the previous owner had spec'd - never would have done it myself.  It can't be completely turned off.

You can adjust the levels of intervention and sensitivity - such as setting it to only alert but not apply brakes.

Will have to look see what it’s set on, is it on all fiesta models?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mitch84 said:

Will have to look see what it’s set on, is it on all fiesta models?

Only on the ones that have the particular pack that includes it.

Mine has a few on it so I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the 'Driver Assistance Pack' on my 67 plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

You're probably too late as its already being fitted on loads of new models including Fords eg Focus4.

Yes, you're right - Puma has it also as I mentioned above. I guess manufacturers will now be fitting this stuff to any new model introduced before 2022, rather than start fitting it mid-production at the last minute.

If you can't turn it off, I'd hope you can at least turn the sensitivity right down - although from David's OP that doesn't seem too successful. I didn't mess about with the settings in the Puma as I was trying to maximise my driving time, but it was ridiculous. Fortunately it was not set to activate brakes, or I'd have been explaining to the dealer how their demo car got rear ended by the twit who was about an inch from the rear bumper. I can see people panic braking even from the alert going off in their face, with the same result, so this is not my idea of a safety feature.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, you're right - Puma has it also as I mentioned above. I guess manufacturers will now be fitting this stuff to any new model introduced before 2022, rather than start fitting it mid-production at the last minute.

If you can't turn it off, I'd hope you can at least turn the sensitivity right down - although from David's OP that doesn't seem too successful. I didn't mess about with the settings in the Puma as I was trying to maximise my driving time, but it was ridiculous. Fortunately it was not set to activate brakes, or I'd have been explaining to the dealer how their demo car got rear ended by the twit who was about an inch from the rear bumper. I can see people panic braking even from the alert going off in their face, with the same result, so this is not my idea of a safety feature.

 

 

I'd really like the feature, if it worked without false positives.  Hopefully the technology will mature as it becomes mainstream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Hopefully the technology will mature as it becomes mainstream.

I suppose there's no chance of it being dropped with the current direction of legislation, so let's hope so. From what I've seen so far I'll need a lot of convincing to get into a fully autonomous road vehicle!😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pre collision assist should only very occasionally give a false reading especially when sensitivity set on minimum. If it does its likely you have fault or that any cameras / radar detectors need re calibration. 

Intelligent speed limiter I find is actually a great addition that can be overridden or turned off however it does rely on correct positioning of road signs and up to date GPS  data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

Intelligent speed limiter I find is actually a great addition that can be overridden or turned off however it does rely on correct positioning of road signs and up to date GPS  data.

It's the same story with the TSR/speed alert which is helpful when it operates correctly. Incorrect GPS data, or more usually, road signs that are badly placed, obscured by vegetation, faded so the camera can't read them, or are just plain missing, are the issues I find.

There's a lot of work needed to make all these systems function reliably, and not just by the car manufacturers, it must be said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tef89 said:

Only on the ones that have the particular pack that includes it.

Mine has a few on it so I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the 'Driver Assistance Pack' on my 67 plate.

No idea on mine then,  it does have the collision warning red screen though! will have to look in my owners manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this