Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2.5 - Instrument cluster display blank

Alan85

My 2010 focus has started to display a blank screen on the lcd in the instrument cluster (backlight comes on)

Seems exactly the same as here: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/93701-dash-display-information-not-working-but-lights-up/ - but looks like this would have been sorted under warranty

Car starts, drives and does everything else as expected. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes seems to bring it back but soon fails again.

Before going blank, it would often look a bit pixelated/distorted. I reckon the next step is to take the cluster out, reseat the lcd ribbon cable, and if that doesn't work order a replacement screen.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, was it the lcd or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks!

My 2010 focus has started to display a blank screen on the lcd in the instrument cluster (backlight comes on)
Seems exactly the same as here: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/93701-dash-display-information-not-working-but-lights-up/ - but looks like this would have been sorted under warranty
Car starts, drives and does everything else as expected. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes seems to bring it back but soon fails again.
Before going blank, it would often look a bit pixelated/distorted. I reckon the next step is to take the cluster out, reseat the lcd ribbon cable, and if that doesn't work order a replacement screen.
Has anyone else had this issue? If so, was it the lcd or am I on the wrong track?
Thanks!

Honestly, try charging the car battery or replacing the battery.

I’ve seen it many of times before when a battery is faulty on a ford it will still start the car but weird things start happening with all the electrics.

My friends radio was completely dead for weeks until he replaced the car battery and then it was fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 years later...

Did you manage to sort out your display? Currently have the same issue

5 hours ago, BrandonHaha said:

Did you manage to sort out your display? Currently have the same issue

Exactly the same, as in it comes back on briefly sometimes? If it comes back on sometimes then the LCD itself may be okay, otherwise it probably needs to be replaced.

Both your car and the OP's are models which suffer from a common fault of cracked solder joints on the instrument cluster's main wiring connector. This may be responsible. I happen to offer an eBay based repair service for the cracked solder joint issue (links below). However new LCDs can be a big extra complication, both in terms of cost (some cost in the region of £50) and difficulty even sourcing a proper replacement for some models, and it's not something I typically deal with. There are plenty of other services, some of which do offer screen replacement.

• 4 months later...

I have a 2009 focus. LCD dash screen lights up but shows no information. Have replayed screen. Still the same problem. Any advice would be appreciated 

11 hours ago, Simon Coates said:

I have a 2009 focus. LCD dash screen lights up but shows no information. Have replayed screen. Still the same problem. Any advice would be appreciated 

Try removing the minus battery lead for about 10 minutes then reattach it and see if it resets if not it may be a soldering issue behind it which can sometimes be restored temporarily by hitting the top of the dash.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club