Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery issues

dtulip8

I had this with my 11 plate 1.6 Ecoboost start/stop and it needed a new battery.

Easy enough to change, but you'll need to remove the airbox and the wiring loom so you can open the door to the battery compartment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KitsuneAndy said:

I had this with my 11 plate 1.6 Ecoboost start/stop and it needed a new battery.

Easy enough to change, but you'll need to remove the airbox and the wiring loom so you can open the door to the battery compartment. 

Yes I think I probably will be getting it a new battery at some point, but this will be a stop-gap until it gets used more again.

16 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:
16 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Mine (Noco 5A)  has a separate mode for AGM, EFB is covered by the "normal" 12V mode. From what I could see from the info, the CTEK is similar in that respect. The Noco claims to be able to do a full recharge in normal mode from as low as 1v, below that there's a "force mode" for a battery showing no voltage at all. Can't testify to how effective this is, as I mentioned, only used mine so far to "top up" from around 11.5v. 

Even at 5A, a full charge is going to take 12 hours on a 60A battery of course.

Thanks for confirming that Eric. It is worth paying a bit extra for a good charger because my one will not charge a 12V battery if the Voltage is below 7.3V.

It is worth bearing in mind that 4 Amps may be the maximum charge but it will not charge this high for long. It will gradually decrease as the battery becomes more charged and it could take some considerable time to fully charge.

This is no different to a cars Smart Charging System. A half hour run may only add 2% to the Batteries State of Charge and it does not matter if this is done at Motorway speeds or not.

52 minutes ago, Tizer said:

It is worth bearing in mind that 4 Amps may be the maximum charge but it will not charge this high for long. It will gradually decrease as the Battery becomes more charged and it could take some considerable time to fully charge.

Yes indeed. Looking further at some of the technical info on the CTEK and Noco chargers, they show how the charge voltage varies through the different stages of the charge. Also it seems the 12 hours they both quote for a 60A battery is from discharged up to 80% charge, so presumably achieving a 100% charge will take some time longer. Don't want to get my battery into a fully discharged state so I can check this out though!😀

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes indeed. Looking further at some of the technical info on the CTEK and Noco chargers, they show how the charge voltage varies through the different stages of the charge. Also it seems the 12 hours they both quote for a 60A battery is from discharged up to 80% charge, so presumably achieving a 100% charge will take some time longer. Don't want to get my battery into a fully discharged state so I can check this out though!😀

The car's charging system does exactly the same. 

The Voltage starts off at around 14.7 and can drop to just over 13 depending on what charging mode it is on and the Current can be as low as a pulsed 0-1 Amps especially as it nears the magic 80%.

I haven't seen mine above 80% so I don't know what happens then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

The car's charging system does exactly the same. 

Yes, I was figuring the smart charger must replicate the action of the smart charging system in the car, otherwise we'd be able to use our old chargers and not have to Shell out for new ones.😡

Didn't expect to be having to worry about batteries on new cars - I've only ever had to replace 2 (both around 10 years old) in over 50 years motoring, so it's all a bit hard to get your head round. I have an uncomfortable feeling I might find it easier to grasp if I'd paid more attention to my Science teacher, rather than chatting to the girls on the bench in front, all those years ago in the lab at school!😀

Ah well, learning something now and it passes the time while in lockdown!

Fortunately I've not had to try my old style charger.  After 6 days of inactivity, the car still started fine at ~4c, did about 3 miles and then parked.  Then after half a mile on the return journey the stop start even kicked in! :smile:  

• Like 1

Ok so finally got the car in charge, however getting a rhythmic clunking sound, sounds like the AC compressor to me. Can anyone advise?

8 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Ok so finally got the car in charge, however getting a rhythmic clunking sound, sounds like the AC compressor to me. Can anyone advise?

Is it the active grille shutter cycling?  Should be able to see by looking through the grill.

I don't think so, can't see anything moving.

8 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

I don't think so, can't see anything moving.

It actually sounds like the starter solenoid tbh, though could be the AC clutch as well.  Seems pretty odd whatever it is!  Is it still doing it now?  Can you gauge roughly what area of the engine bay it's coming from?

• Like 1

It's coming from the fuse box, it stops if I disconnect the charger.

Just now, dtulip8 said:

It's coming from the fuse box, it stops if I disconnect the charger.

Oh, it's just a relay then, shouldn't do any harm...but I'd make sure it's out of gear, just in case! :laugh: 

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Oh, it's just a relay then, shouldn't do any harm...but I'd make sure it's out of gear, just in case! :laugh: 

Ok good lol, yeah it is in neutral so shouldn't be any problems 🤣

• Haha 1

If a Relay or whatever is doing that it would be sensible to disconnect both battery terminals and charge it that way. There is a chance that the high load contacts will either become pitted or burn themselves out.  

Right I’ve about had it with this battery, just going to bite the bullet on a new battery. Local garage is open so I’ll take it down at some point. The charger’s just flashed up to say the battery won’t take a charge, so will get it jumpstarted. Thanks for all your help though guys, much appreciated 😃!

1 hour ago, dtulip8 said:

Right I’ve about had it with this battery, just going to bite the bullet on a new battery. Local garage is open so I’ll take it down at some point. The charger’s just flashed up to say the battery won’t take a charge, so will get it jumpstarted. Thanks for all your help though guys, much appreciated 😃!

I wonder if the dealer would pay for one under warranty, or even as a goodwill gesture...  Have you asked?

47 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I wonder if the dealer would pay for one under warranty, or even as a goodwill gesture...  Have you asked?

I think it would be unlikely tbh, most of these warranties aren’t worth the paper they’re written on with used cars.

True, and batteries are consumable anyway if they wanted to follow it to the letter.  Just seems a bit poor that the battery was probably flat on the forecourt and the dealer just stuck a jump pack on it before you arrived.  :sad:

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

True, and batteries are consumable anyway if they wanted to follow it to the letter.  Just seems a bit poor that the battery was probably flat on the forecourt and the dealer just stuck a jump pack on it before you arrived.  :sad:

They might’ve charged it up when it arrived, and it stayed just long enough for me to get it home. It had only been for sale a week, and I’ve only done two short journeys in it since I got it lol. It is certainly a PITA though!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club