Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carbon cleaning mk2 focus 1.6 tdci?

LukeG99

I got a quote for a carbon clean for £75 my car has 150k+ mileage so I think it might help the engine out, what do people think?

do you have a problem that needs fixing? what does this carbon clean comprise of? is it just putting some fluid in fuel tank and then telling you to thrash it? can you explain more. 

15 hours ago, isetta said:

do you have a problem that needs fixing? what does this carbon clean comprise of? is it just putting some fluid in fuel tank and then telling you to thrash it? can you explain more. 

I think it's where gas it put though the engine and its suppose to take away carbon deposits from combustion, my engine just seems a bit rough and it seems a bit unsmooth when at low speeds.

I think you need to find out some more information on what this so called carbon cleaning is before anyone can advise.  

I have sen some writeups on terraclean which sound positive,  maybe you could look into that in more detail?

Worth it as in will you save £75 on fuel from doing it?  Absolutely not...  Worth it for the placebo effect that some people feel?  Only you can decide that... :wink: 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Worth it as in will you save £75 on fuel from doing it?  Absolutely not...  Worth it for the placebo effect that some people feel?  Only you can decide that... :wink: 

Yeah I certainly feel like it would just be a placebo after talking to others but it's nice to know what other guys think

I had mine done, didn't feel any difference. I did see the guy spray some go go juice in the intake to make it feel a little different when I first drove it, after that wore off it went back to normal. Still had the usual Mk2 TDCI DPF problems after the procedure. 

1 hour ago, Bongo2296 said:

I had mine done, didn't feel any difference. I did see the guy spray some go go juice in the intake to make it feel a little different when I first drove it, after that wore off it went back to normal. Still had the usual Mk2 TDCI DPF problems after the procedure. 

Sounds like you were sold good old fashioned snake oil!  There is only one reliable way of dealing with the Mk2 DPF problem imo, but not many want to recommend it nowadays. 

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

Not something I’d waste money on if the cars running sweet. 

From my experience carbon cleaning can help but only if you do it properly by doing a strip and clean, but it should be done alongside other engine maintenance such as oil flush (engine, clutch and/or diff), EGR cleaning etc. This is only really recommended on high mileage vehicles or, if you're concerned, on a vehicle you've bought that you're unsure of it's history.  If you have power delivery issues, then looking at fuel filters/injectors or sparks and fuel lines is recommended as well.

However if it's a relatively modern engine they run pretty clean these days, especially if you fill with 'clean' fuel. Supermarket fuels tend to run dirtier as they don't have the same additives added to help the engine run smoother (and yes, I know the controversies of supermarket vs oil companies)of course this can be offset by using your own fuel additives such as BG or Liquimoly and that's arguably better than getting carbon cleaning. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your insights guys. I don't really see the point either now.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club