Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S Max Mk2 Sync 2 removal Help Please.

Ferd

Hi All I hope your all well.

Iv just got a 2016 Mk2 S Max with the Sync 2 system in it. I am going to be using the Sat Nav allot and on the hole I am not pleased with it as Iv had a newer car with Sync 3.

I have a few questions about changing the system and under stand most of it just a few little things I want to be clear on as I can not find the info I want.

So the biggest question is dose any one have the info on removing the sync 2 from My car I.E pulling the dash apart to get it out? 

Dose the Sync 3 screen and APIM have to come from a S max or and can it come from any Ford with a sync 3 system in it.

Do I need the Vin number to keep it up to date.

Best asked in the Facebook SMax Owners group, better still the Mondeo group. Many Mondeo Owners done this upgrade. There is a good Mustang upgrade video on YT to give you an idea of how to do it and the bits needed but not seen any SMax specific. From what I understand you need the Sync 3 hardware (Unit and USB for carplay etc - Sync 2 had SD card Sync has internal storage) and the brackets for the car you're mounting it to. You will need the donor VIN for Ford updates for Sync 3 ver 3.0 (most upgrades on the Mondeo Facebook group are getting side loading version 3.4 and bypassing Ford all together, a further upgrade to firmware gives radio logos and video).

I am happy with mine (Sync 3 v 3.0) as is because I mainly use Apple CarPlay and the Nav maps, which are free downloads, are the latest, F9.

I thought about doing the same to my car, then I found out the price of a sync 3 screen, £600 approx. That was for a second hand unit  and you also had to buy a new usb connector as the 2 and 3’s are different. 

• 5 months later...

So how do you remove the 2016 smax factory head unit???

• 8 months later...

Hi all just seen this , I’ve upgrade from sync 2 to sync 3 got a kit from China through a member of the forscan sync 3 fb group, 

the sync 2 is easy enough to swap out , 

start with the trims that run along the sides of the centre consul top parts, than the silver trim that’s around the gear selector, then remove the cubby with the 12v and usb memory card, 4 torx screws, then 4 7mm bolts at the bottom of the radio/heating panel , then 3 7mm bolts around the gear selector, use a trim tool to remove the air vents at the sides of the screen , pop up the trim that has the cup holders starting at the cubby hole end , will feel like it doesn’t want to come up but it will, once that’s moved start to prise the heater panel from the bottom using a trim tool work your way up each side and remove the panel, did the 3 plugs from the rear of it , then you have acces to the sync screen 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club