Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have some varied mechanical questions if anyone can help?

b9y

Hello all.

So i bought a 2010 Mondeo 1.8TDCI estate, 67,120k miles on the clock. I paid £2400. Done about 450 miles since getting it last Saturday.
Known faults were: Radio needs a code, but I'm sorting that.
It turns out that the parking sensors don't work either but that's not major, I have eyes.

I'm currently having the following issues:

When sat still, and revving between 1-2k RPM, there's a noticeable judder. It disappears mostly when travelling between 0-50mph.
When up to highway speed, the juddering comes back from about 50-80mph, then it disappears mostly. Upon deceleration either taking the foot off the throttle or braking it's back.
What looks to be an oil leak, but unsure where from.
6th gear, about 60-70mph, if I put my foot down a little the engine stutters for a split second or so before pulling as normal
I used Redex the day after I got the car, and either coincidentally or because of it, the engine is struggling to start. After it starts, it ticks over and idles fine, but it can take a couple of turns of the key and a slight pump of the throttle. Once it's started and running for say...a minute, it'll start with no issues after that. It's only when I leave it overnight or whatever that the next day it'll have a problem. 
When the car is sat still after a drive I can smell diesel / redex.
A very faint whining noise when driving 40mph ish onwards.

The guy said it had a recent service and is sending me the receipts, currently unsure what's been done but will find out soon. Gave me the classic "No other issues, runs well, it was sat for a few weeks pryer to you collecting though".

So the questions:

Price wise, do you think it's fair if I ask for some money back or have I got a good deal? (There's some scratches, bit of a rough interior but everything else works fine)
MOT was done about 23rd August, would a leak or smell have shown up?
Any idea what could be causing these issues?

I'm about as mechanically knowledgable as a broom. I can usually diagnose things reasonably ok having spent years around car people, but other than wheel balancing I can't figure out what these problems are! I'll be taking it to a garage but it'd be nice to try and narrow down some things.

Thanks!

Hi, when you put it in reverse, do the reversing lights come on? I ask 'cos the sensors and lights both work from the same switch on the gearbox

When sat stationary and raising engine speed does the judder stop when the clutch is pressed? If so it's a potential dual mass flywheel. 

Also wondering if this juddering issue could be injector related especially with starting problems. Leak off pipes could be leaking diesel? Might be worth changing the fuel filter?

I've seen quite a few 1.8tdci engines leak oil from the vacuum pump that sits on the front of the engine, gearbox side and they can make quite a mess. Without pictures it's hard to guess! 

Just a few ideas, if I think of more I'll post them

• Like 1

Not long got it back from Halford's, i made another post about parts! But yea it was the leak off pipes 🙂  Thanks mate!

Oh and a bent sump and oil leak to add to the mix. The guy I got it from said "We didn't notice that when we did the MOT", the guy at Halford's when I told him that said "Yea, bullshit"!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, b9y said:

Oh and a bent sump and oil leak to add to the mix. The guy I got it from said "We didn't notice that when we did the MOT", the guy at Halford's when I told him that said "Yea, bullshit"!

Have you got an undertray?  MOT testers aren't allowed to remove anything from the car so a sump would usually be fairly well hidden if the undertray is still present.

I'm not too sure tbh mate. Maybe there is one, I don't think they mentioned an undertray. Just said the sump itself was badly dented.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, b9y said:

I'm not too sure tbh mate. Maybe there is one, I don't think they mentioned an undertray. Just said the sump itself was badly dented.

If your Mondy has an undertray fitted (it would have had 1 fitted when new) it's unlikely the tester wouldn't have been able to see the sump as the undertray is huge.  The previous owner surely must have know about the drivability issues causes by the leaking leak off pipes, that also would explain the smell of diesel after it had been sat overnight and potentially the trouble you had starting it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club