Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual / Two FM Radio Antennas with Fakra connectors Mondeo/ Focus to Single ISO

90Ninety

So I upgraded the stock factory HU on the venerable old Mondingo mk4.5 , with a fancy Android Head Unit . The new HU is leaps and bounds better, watching Youtube   while driving isn't the best idea but , in traffic its ok ,,,, Anyhow I digress 

The old CD6000  had two antenna wires with Fakra terminals  , the new Android HU has a single ISO connector . See the image below , this is the back side of the original HU 

1825592467_dualfakraradio.thumb.jpg.41d7b3d44f45cd91feceebc60464756d.jpg

the next image is the two terminals coming from the harness 

harness.thumb.jpg.38b2423107fc4a7761cf54165c21cd59.jpg

Unfortunately I could not find any schematic to understand what kind of circuitry or wizardry is attached to these two antenna wires .  My best guess is that they are two antennas ,and one of them potentially is boosted though the original HU .  My first idea was to find an adapter, however it appears there are two types of adapter  ( fakra to ISO ) one passive ( I tried this , see below )

625817494_adapterpassive.thumb.jpg.b784cf610f7a9c5a133924b8ac8718f5.jpg

The passive Fakra adapter only made the signal worse, I understand this passive adapter simply injects voltage into one of the fakra plugs , which is supposed to be attached to a booster  , though I have no idea , if there is a seperate booster in another part of the car . I simply simply disconnected the voltage side ( blue wire ) of the the antenna adapter  in the interim so only connected on one terminal  . The old HU had a great signal FWIW

The active adapter that I found actually has a 'booster' , so contains circuitry , an image is shown . Source Amazon item page

751473044_activeadapter.thumb.jpg.a145d00b77d4479db60efb5d78192887.jpg

This 'active' adapter is actually sold with the Aftermarket HU ( pumpkin PX5)  that I had purchased , so I am hoping that this will be a solution , if I can just find a supplier that has stock , the particular active adapter is not perfect as it has two Fakra connectors moulded together  . 

Can anyone suggest any options , or should I just take the plunge with this 'active booster' ?

After further reading I understand that the two facra connections go to two separate modules located around the rear  window screen . I understand one uses the rear heating screen element  as part of a 'Diversity Antenna' 

I am reading conflicting information about weather these two antenna modules , should be connected together ,  or if to leave one disconnected  and if so , which one ( black or white ) 

I understand one of the amplifier modules is powered via its own 12V input  ( power from windscreen wire ) , while the other requires power from the HU 

This is all very confusing :s

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club