Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Volkswagens

lasthope

what a peoples view on

Volkswagen sharan 19tdi
Volkswagen touran  19tdi

both 7seats

Cheaper to buy a pack of Durex...

The old Sharans are the same as the Ford Galaxy if you want something Fordy.

The Touran is a bit smaller but looks better, so partly depends on how much space you need.

1.9 TDI is fairly robust (except mine with the chocolate camshaft) but certainly not a refined engine.

be looking for the most space at back what i seen on pics not much room in both it be just for prams lol seen a seat alhambra  2.0 TDI and Peugeot 5008 HDI  7 seat ones but only 1.6 ones i can see

19 hours ago, lasthope said:

be looking for the most space at back what i seen on pics not much room in both it be just for prams lol seen a seat alhambra  2.0 TDI and Peugeot 5008 HDI  7 seat ones but only 1.6 ones i can see

The Alhambra is basically the same as the Galaxy & Sharan as well.  2.0 TDI could be either CR or PD depending on age, both can have weak points but are a little better than the 1.9PD.  

5008 uses the 8v 1.6 HDi same as the Mk3 Focus/Mk7 Fiesta.  More reliable than the 16v 1.6 TDCi in the Mk2 Focus but I can't imagine torquey enough for a car of that size! 

I'd go for the 2.0 TDI Alhambra out of those options I think.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The Alhambra is basically the same as the Galaxy & Sharan as well.  2.0 TDI could be either CR or PD depending on age, both can have weak points but are a little better than the 1.9PD.  

5008 uses the 8v 1.6 HDi same as the Mk3 Focus/Mk7 Fiesta.  More reliable than the 16v 1.6 TDCi in the Mk2 Focus but I can't imagine torquey enough for a car of that size! 

I'd go for the 2.0 TDI Alhambra out of those options I think.

Can you tell me what problems there are with the 16v 1.6 TDCi engine in the mk2, as my mk2 has done 128k miles and the only problem I have had is the egr valve, which was easily replaced.

24 minutes ago, MarkRS9 said:

Can you tell me what problems there are with the 16v 1.6 TDCi engine in the mk2, as my mk2 has done 128k miles and the only problem I have had is the egr valve, which was easily replaced.

Carbon deposits in the oil is what kills most of them off.  Poorly designed sump means you can never get all of the old oil out which leads to quick contamination of the new stuff.  Injector leaks and faulty EGR's add even more soot to the oil.  Excessive/failed DPFs regens adds raw diesel to the oil.  The turbo oil feed pipe runs by the DPF so the hot DPF regens cook the oil in the pipe.  There's a gauze in that pipe (on the early ones) which blocks up and starves the turbo of oil.  When the turbo pops you really have to replace the oil feed pipe, oil pump, clean the sump, flush the system through etc...and even then you can still get carbon left behind that subsequently breaks the next turbo.

I owned one myself for over 3 years/30k miles without any engine issues, but we are in the minority with that!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Carbon deposits in the oil is what kills most of them off.  Poorly designed sump means you can never get all of the old oil out which leads to quick contamination of the new stuff.  Injector leaks and faulty EGR's add even more soot to the oil.  Excessive/failed DPFs regens adds raw diesel to the oil.  The turbo oil feed pipe runs by the DPF so the hot DPF regens cook the oil in the pipe.  There's a gauze in that pipe (on the early ones) which blocks up and starves the turbo of oil.  When the turbo pops you really have to replace the oil feed pipe, oil pump, clean the sump, flush the system through etc...and even then you can still get carbon left behind that subsequently breaks the next turbo.

I owned one myself for over 3 years/30k miles without any engine issues, but we are in the minority with that!!

Thanks for the information, I always changed the oil and filter every 6k miles, think this probably helped mine stay healthy.

I've owned mine for 9 years and put 110k miles on it myself, has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, TomsFocus said:

1.9 TDI is fairly robust (except mine with the chocolate camshaft) but certainly not a refined engine.

The 1.9 PD TDI will go on forever, as long as you use the correct oil to the right VW spec. If you don't say goodbye to those camshafts. I had a PD130 in my Fabia and always ran it on 5W-40 VW505.01 oil. I have heard the later Common Rail (CR) engines were more refined and quieter.

You don't say which year those cars are. Early cars will not have a DPF to worry about (my Fabia didn't have one). I can't remember which year they were introduced.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim H said:

The 1.9 PD TDI will go on forever, as long as you use the correct oil to the right VW spec. If you don't say goodbye to those camshafts. I had a PD130 in my Fabia and always ran it on 5W-40 VW505.01 oil. I have heard the later Common Rail (CR) engines were more refined and quieter.

You don't say which year those cars are. Early cars will not have a DPF to worry about (my Fabia didn't have one). I can't remember which year they were introduced.

I bought a second PD130 Golf at 10 years old/120k due to needing more doors (and wanting Climatronic, cruise, a better colour and a few other things).  Wanted a PD150 but the forums at the time said 'don't buy a 150 as they wear out camshafts'...  Had full VW service history too.  :sad:  Personally I put it down to Longlife oil, my previous PD130 was on time & distance and lasted another 50k after I sold it...  PD design was also compromised, as the need for injector cams means the valve cams have to be thinner and take more abuse per mm².  (The fact that I'd mapped it up to 180bhp and fitted a 150 turbo after popping the 130 turbo is irrelevant! :wink:  Hoffman decat, Allard EGR delete and Turborevs ally SMIC too...I used to be so cool!)

I now run a 2.0 TDI CR which is far better than the old PDs but still not particularly refined...you definitely know it's a diesel even with all the cabin sound deadening.

• Like 1

I had a PD130 Bora.  Remapped to 170bhp/290lbft.  Went like the clappers and never missed a beat.  Stonking engines.

• Like 2

Yes, I had a 1.9 PD 130 and a 2.0 PD 140. Both gave that very satisfying wallop when the torque kicked in, which seemed to be lost in the later CR engines, though they are (a bit) quieter!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I had a 1.9 PD 130 and a 2.0 PD 140. Both gave that very satisfying wallop when the torque kicked in, which seemed to be lost in the later CR engines, though they are (a bit) quieter!

My Fiesta has the same power as the Fabia, but certainly do miss the torque the diesel gave, especially the wallop when the turbo kicked in. I had mine on a rolling road 12 years ago (2009) and got 142BHP, 250ftlb, I've seen people get 150-155 from later engines (BLT, not ASZ) bog standard.

The engines are highly tunable too, I didn't, but wish I did. I know of a Fabia who got 300+ BHP out of the PD130. He called his a Mongral, as it started life as a PD100. Darkside has one, with 350-400bhp and a map(s) that you can change whist driving.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club