Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Ecoboost problem

EcoboostGuy

Hi guys new to the site, My focus seems to have an intermittent starting problem especially on colder mornings. Ignition comes on but sounds like it's about to turn over and then stops almost like it's jammed. Then after trying for about 20mins it starts I'm thinking possible starter motor problem?

Anyone's suggestions or opinions would be appreciated 🤦‍♂️

Could also be the battery on its way out (if the voltage is too low it won't have enough juice to turn the motor).

Just check the voltage using a multimeter before you start it first thing in the morning.

• Like 1

Sorry about delayed reply. A neighbour tested the battery as it didn't start again this morning. battery read just over 9v whilst idling bearing in mind it wouldn't start off jump leads so had to bump start it. So I assume it was a battery but as he used an old bit of kit to test the battery I got a second opinion from a local motor factors they tested both the battery and alternator and said they were fine. I'm struggling to see what the problem can be or shall I just try a new battery? 🤦‍♂️😬

Sounds like new battery time to me. If when you did get the engine started and running the voltage at the battery terminals was only 9.0 Volt thats quite worrying ! On a car as new as yours the Alternator should be outputing at least 13.6V even on idle.

A healthy car battery will measure about 13.2V with the engine stopped and all things like lights and the ignition off. Even in cold weather and standing overnight it will still be around 12.6V in the morning. I think you have a 'dead' cell in the battery, which will be playing hell with the alternator and the charging. Investment in a new battery would be a good move and will probably save your alternator from killing itself trying to charge the imposible.

• Like 1

Depends how much you trust the motor factors. Suppose they're not going to say the battery is good when it's not as they can't flog you a new one then... 

9v doesn't really sound right to me for a running engine, it would've probably cut out if it was really that low.

• Like 1

Will put the multimeter on it again in the morning to double check. Any ideas on the best battery to buy for a stop/start version?

Thanks guys👍

Hi, I kind of think you probably need a new battery. The real bad news is because you need a stop/start battery its going to cost about £120. You could shop around and and if you get lucky find a Chinese copy for £100 but is it worth the fact  you know its going to fail.

I would call in to any Halfords store, they all seem to have very good battery testing kit and it will confirm if you need a new battery. I recomend Yuasa or Bosch but thats just me (they come with a 5 year guarantee). your going to need at least a 58AH / 500A capacity

For stop-start you need an EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery). I recently bought a Varta EFB Blue Dynamic D54 from battery Megastore for £108.00 inc VAT and free delivery. My original Ford battery was 60AH 590cca. The Varta is 65AH 650cca. I believe the battery AH capacity is programmed into the car configuration file so departing from the original figure is not recommended. I'm hoping my new one is close enough not to cause any problems. Before installing a new battery you should charge it to full capacity and after installation reset the BMS.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club