Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Time to fill up with Adblue


Recommended Posts

I am just coming up to 12k miles and yesterday the message came up to refill with Adblue within the next 808 miles.  Funnily enough I looked it up on the menu a couple of days before and there was over 1000 miles left on it.  An orange dash light came up which I'm guessing is the one for Adblue running low (but could be anything based on how it looked), but that went out after a few minutes.  I assume I will get another reminder sometime soon.  Does all that seem normal (its the first car I've had which needs Adblue)?

There is a filling station near me that sells it from a pump on forecourt - is it safe to assume this will meet the Ford spec without any problems, and is this the best way to buy it?

 

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to be careful of the cheap stuff.  I'd recommend sticking to a known brand at least.

Adblue lights are always good for a laugh...is it the same 'damp flatulence' light that comes up on the Transit?  The VW light just looks like a bottle pouring onto the floor! :unsure: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

You have to be careful of the cheap stuff.  I'd recommend sticking to a known brand at least.

Adblue lights are always good for a laugh...is it the same 'damp flatulence' light that comes up on the Transit?  The VW light just looks like a bottle pouring onto the floor! :unsure: 

Can't remember enough what it looked like to describe it to be honest, but I think there was a suggestion of an exhaust pipe with smoke coming out so could be what you are thinking of from the transit.  I'll try to take a photo next time it comes on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pragmatix said:

Best way to buy it is from a motor factors, cheaper than a forecourt pump.

It looks like the other way around from what I have seen, at least locally to me.  Pump price is 44.9c/ltr while a 10ltr container is €15 so 3x the price!

Is it the same as for fuel at the pump, some people swear by premium brand names and others happily use cheaper supermarket stuff?  After all, this is just urea mixed with water so can't be much difference between brands?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, south_bound said:

It looks like the other way around from what I have seen, at least locally to me.  Pump price is 44.9c/ltr while a 10ltr container is €15 so 3x the price!

Is it the same as for fuel at the pump, some people swear by premium brand names and others happily use cheaper supermarket stuff?  After all, this is just urea mixed with water so can't be much difference between brands?

Fords have issues with cheap adblue, I would stick a branded make of adbluebin.  it's not expensive if you divide the cost per mile!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, same symbol as yours - not obvious really.

I have found a Total station that sells it from the pump so assume this will be ok quality wise and so will fill up next time I pass that way.

20210324_182356_resized.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at the photo of my speedo, it goes up in increments of 10kph up to 60 then in increments of 20kph above that.  Never noticed that before and have been driving the car for nearly a year now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

first things first, make sure you can access the tank to fill it up

secondly, don't buy loads and loads, they normally come in 20 litre containers at the garages that do hgv stuff so make sure you know how much you need 

thirdly, don't spill it, anywhere, it stains like a mother hubbard and it's almost impossible to get the stains out, been there done that with the works motors, the bus takes around 5 litres every 100 miles

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford Focus Mk4 2.0 Diesel. Refiled my AdBlu tank when the car had done just under 6000 miles. It took a full 10 litres (Only just - almost had to squeez the last few drops in). Bought a 10 litre container from the local Esso station for £14.99. I didn't shop around, I just wanted to get the job done

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unofix said:

Bought a 10 litre container from the local Esso station for £14.99. I didn't shop around, I just wanted to get the job done

Now you have time to shop around. Its like a fiver from the local motor factors 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So got around to filling up the Ad Blue yesterday.  The display in the car said min 3.5 ltrs ad max 8.5 ltrs.  I put in the 8.5 litres and the nozzle didn't autostop but I stopped there anyway and the car showed full afterwards.  I assume these nozzles will stop automatically when the tank is full but I didn't really trust it enough to let it.  Car now shows 7000 miles till the next fill.  Didn't bother shopping around like I do for diesel, I can afford 4.24€ for 7000 miles (just).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you would have got a full 10 litres in. Mine also said max of 8.5 but it took the full 10 litres. At the time there was no garage near me with an AdBlu pump and then the very next week the garage only 5 minutes away installed one .... It would have cost me about £5, oh well in another 6000miles I can fill up at the new pump.

Just out of interest if you don't mine me asking what country are you in? I notice you use € and miles, a rare combination

Link to post
Share on other sites

Capacity for the adblue tank is 10.1litres. ok to fill right up in the summer months but not advisable in the winter as adblue can freeze at around -11c I'm told and can expand in the tank like an ice cube. If full could potentially split tank. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, unofix said:

Just out of interest if you don't mine me asking what country are you in? I notice you use € and miles, a rare combination

Hah, well spotted!  I joined this forum when I bought my Mk2 living in the UK.  Then I moved to France and brought it over with me and then recently bought the Mk4.  I changed the readings in that one back to miles mainly because I can't relate to the litres/100km numbers instead of mpg and I still think in miles, but spend my money in Euros.

thanks also to Ian on confirming the AdBlue tan size.  A fill up every 6 or 7000 miles is ok so I will leave a bit of space for expansion, even if it doesn't really get too cold down here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Iantt, thanks for the information on the AdBlu, I hadn't concidered the freezing aspect but you make a good point. The North East of England can get cold but luckly not often much below -6C but with all this global warming I can expect it will get colder 🤣

Next time I fill up I hope to use a pump and so will take your advice and maybe put about 8 litres in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 12:47 PM, unofix said:

Hi Iantt, thanks for the information on the AdBlu, I hadn't concidered the freezing aspect but you make a good point. The North East of England can get cold but luckly not often much below -6C but with all this global warming I can expect it will get colder 🤣

Next time I fill up I hope to use a pump and so will take your advice and maybe put about 8 litres in.

some cars have an adblue heater surrounding the tank

although my mate was a bit miffed that Mercedes wouldn't cover the £2400 cost to replace it when it was faulty...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership