Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto stop start

DaveG1975

To get the auto stop start to work would you fully recharge the battery with a smart charger and then reset the bms or just change the battery 

On a 2-year-old car it should be sufficient to fully recharge and reset the BMS.

On our Mk3 I found recharging would only get it working for a short time but the battery was around 5 years old by then. Since replacing the battery, charging fully and resetting the BMS it has been working.

• Thanks 1

I will try a full recharge and resetting the bms thanks 

Leave the thing off it’s more trouble that’s it’s worth starter motor will not last long at all 

• Like 1

I fully recharged the battery then reset the bms and the stop start only worked once anybody got anymore ideas to get it working 

Charge it again to get it to work once more?

Loads of people complain about it, it doesn't seem to work very often on the Focus, it's more reliable on the Fiesta.

You are fighting against a smart charge system that only tries to charge the battery to 80% (to save the drag of the alternator reducing your mpg) and the stop/start system which needs the battery to be at least 80% charged or it wont work.

I've just learnt to accept that it doesn't work very often (not at all for about two and a half years), and no longer worry about it.

I’ll try charging it again even when it stopped working I’ve even been for a good run out in it and it still doesn’t kick in 

On 5/15/2021 at 10:33 AM, DaveG1975 said:

I’ll try charging it again even when it stopped working I’ve even been for a good run out in it and it still doesn’t kick in 

I have the same exact problem ahah, if you find the solution you become my lord !

I’ve fully recharged the battery yesterday and the car had been stood for 12 hours put it on charge again this morning and it’s taken an hour to fully recharge it again beginning to think I might have a battery drain now I don’t think it should lose so much charge in that time 

I have noticed since my car car went into the dealership the stop start stated to kick in after a good run out but before you would have a good run out then it would work after been stood all night like some others have said but now is doesn’t work after a day now 

Stop start working this morning going to work coming home from work tonight stopped working again didn’t last long 

Have a read of this short thread... LOL

Did you check the battery with a battery tester, not just a multi meter?

Holding voltage is one thing, checking the health of a battery is another.

I use a basic battery tester, like this one. tester

My battery, 2019 Focus, 18,000 miles,  very little use over lockdown in 2020, went from 700 CCA (the value on the battery label, Cold Crank Amps, the power the battery can provide to turn the engine) to 535! The battery checker says "replace battery". I've had it on an intelligent charger for over 72 hours and the CCA is still the same.

The Stat/Stop worked, after i charged the battery the other week, not tested the car much since.

Do people agree that most people turn this off anyway I don’t like the idea of this stop start anyway more strain on parts etc. 
the most annoying think on my mk3 2015 is the alarm as we have a dog it needs to be on reduced guard but when you select it it only saves for that cycle so you have to set it too ask on exit then select it lol 

23 minutes ago, gibbo1471 said:

Do people agree that most people turn this off anyway I don’t like the idea of this stop start anyway more strain on parts etc. 
the most annoying think on my mk3 2015 is the alarm as we have a dog it needs to be on reduced guard but when you select it it only saves for that cycle so you have to set it too ask on exit then select it lol 

Not much point in turning it off as it very rarely works in the first place 🤭

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Wino said:

Not much point in turning it off as it very rarely works in the first place 🤭

Lol

Mine always works 

1 hour ago, gibbo1471 said:

Mine always works 

So did mine on the Mk3. It worked flawlessly 👍

On 5/18/2021 at 2:31 AM, VFR800 said:

Did you check the battery with a battery tester, not just a multi meter?

Holding voltage is one thing, checking the health of a battery is another.

I use a basic battery tester, like this one. tester

My battery, 2019 Focus, 18,000 miles,  very little use over lockdown in 2020, went from 700 CCA (the value on the battery label, Cold Crank Amps, the power the battery can provide to turn the engine) to 535! The battery checker says "replace battery". I've had it on an intelligent charger for over 72 hours and the CCA is still the same.

The Stat/Stop worked, after i charged the battery the other week, not tested the car much since.

Only worked the one trip, stopped working 2nd trip!!

Seems FORD may have a batch of batteries that only last a few years! I'll be on the phone to HITACHI in the morning to see what they suggest!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club