Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrading to Active Cruise Control

Daddy Nev

Hi all,

I have now received the parts I need from the US to upgrade the cruise control to active cruise control. I have all the modules and settings that need to make it work as well.

Is anyone interested in me making this a How To: on the Edge Forum? If not, I'll just sloop off and do it quietly.

Happy Friday everyone.

Daddy Nev.

Absolutely no harm in doing a how to. It’s just a case of taking pictures as you go then writing the blurb. If you are doing it, there is every chance that someone else will want to. 

• Like 1

does anybody know how to program through forscan to decrease start/stop speeds?

Edited by peltertentpole
grammar

On 6/18/2021 at 6:03 PM, Daddy Nev said:

Is anyone interested in me making this a How To: on the Edge Forum? If not, I'll just sloop off and do it quietly.

YES please

This is a pain in the Ar**! Switch gear change over easy, main programming easy. Write one change to the PCM, IMPOSSIBLE. ACC will NOT work without the PCM Cruise Control line being changed and you can't do it.

Outcome - £48 and 6 hours worse off. Don't even bother....

DN

Yeah, and if one of those 1's gets changed to a 0, then you're knackered, new PCM time.

I've seen Forscan mess up a few PCM's and they all needed replacing and reprogramming with IDS. You got off lightly.

H

18 hours ago, Hamster said:

Yeah, and if one of those 1's gets changed to a 0, then you're knackered, new PCM time.

I've seen Forscan mess up a few PCM's and they all needed replacing and reprogramming with IDS. You got off lightly.

H

In this case better safe than sorry and its all been reverted to previous. Next I think it needs a damn good clean and a ceramic coating.

• 1 month later...

Update.

ACC is now fully functional. Issue was a communication protocol issue when talking to the PCM. BIG thanks to the Forscan team for making a custom version for this PCM.

When I get time, I will make a How To. Kids six weeks is just a nightmare to find time for my self!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 7 months later...

For Wesow,

The ACC will work on UK Edge's as long as you have anti-collision system fitted as standard. So does the heads-up light up on the dash if you get too close to another vehicle? If yes, then you can have ACC. The job can be done in about half a day if you are competent and have a licensed version of FORscan.

WARNING. It is very easy to adjust the wrong setting or set the wrong option. YOU have to be VERY careful indeed. If you wish to proceed, then order the part below and let us know, then I'll put together a "How to" for it.

ACC steering control. Ford part 2278290. It's about £50 and may take about 4 weeks to get as it will be imported from Ford US.

Vospers Ford. 01752 636494, www.parts.vospers.com. or email: onlineparts@vospers.com

Cheers DN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daddy Nev said:

For Wesow,

The ACC will work on UK Edge's as long as you have anti-collision system fitted as standard. So does the heads-up light up on the dash if you get too close to another vehicle? If yes, then you can have ACC. The job can be done in about half a day if you are competent and have a licensed version of FORscan.

WARNING. It is very easy to adjust the wrong setting or set the wrong option. YOU have to be VERY careful indeed. If you wish to proceed, then order the part below and let us know, then I'll put together a "How to" for it.

ACC steering control. Ford part 2278290. It's about £50 and may take about 4 weeks to get as it will be imported from Ford US.

Vospers Ford. 01752 636494, www.parts.vospers.com. or email: onlineparts@vospers.com

Cheers DN.

Daddy Ne,

Thanks for the information,  I will  order the ACC control switch asap, once I have it I will get in touch with you.

Thanks again

Registered, and following. I already have the ACC steering control with correct p\n, but for some reason I had no luck in in letting it work.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:12 PM, papinist said:

Registered, and following. I already have the ACC steering control with correct p\n, but for some reason I had no luck in in letting it work.

I would need to know what doesn't work or how it doesn't work. I will also need to know what changes you made on the ECU's, so a detailed list will allow me to help you.

Cheers

DN

On 6/24/2021 at 9:03 PM, Hamster said:

H

Hi Hamster,

Did you do the IDS programming yourself or outsource it? Appreciate your feed back 

I have a very close relationship with my local Ford Dealer. I'm not a fan of home re-programming modules. I've seen it go wrong too many times.

Hamster

Sorry for interrupting your discussion  I am searching  for the ACC switch assembly Ford part 2278290 but it is saying this number obsolete, what other part number you know of cloud do the job.

Ford 2278290 is possibly replaced by 2509773, I think.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2022 at 9:33 PM, Daddy Nev said:

I would need to know what doesn't work or how it doesn't work. I will also need to know what changes you made on the ECU's, so a detailed list will allow me to help you.

Cheers

DN

Thanks for your reply.

These are the changes I made:

1. PCM Module configuration :

-set Cruise Control parameter to Adaptive cruise control

2. BCM Module Configuration :

-set Cruise Control parameter to Adaptive cruise control

3. ABS Module Configuration:

- set Adaptive Cruise Control (down to 30 Kph) to Enabled

- Set Forward Collision Mitigation By braking to Enabled

4. IPC Module Configuration:

- Set Adaptive Cruise Control and Adaptive Cruise Control Menu to enabled

5. SCCM Module Configuration:

- Set steering Wheel Switch Config to 17 Ford Cruise Control or 20 Ford ASLD+ACC

Actually I first replaced the switch assembly and it did not work (i.e. no response in display with arrows) so I tried the forscan mods to see if the switch needs some value changed to work, but nothing happens.

I thought that the switch assembly was broken and tried to open it, but it seems very simple inside, I doubt it has issue.

55 minutes ago, papinist said:

Actually I first replaced the switch assembly and it did not work (i.e. no response in display with arrows) so I tried the forscan mods to see if the switch needs some value changed to work, but nothing happens.

You also need to configure the new switches in so it knows they are there.

This will take more than just drop down configuration changes.

For ACC I would imagine you need to change ABS, Steering Column, Steering Rack, Cluster, Camera and IPC and you would need front camera (correct spec for ACC) and a front radar

• Like 1

5 hours ago, papinist said:

I got the list of configuration changes posted by an user here: https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/28441-project-get-active-cruise-control-functioning/

He got it working just with switches replacement and that config changes, so I thought to do the same..

He got it 90% working, which means it's not working.

I would say firmware need updating in ABS module to support, possibly even hardware needs updating.

• Like 1

This is not a simple task. Converting to ACC is no Saturday afternoon job. The entire process took me a whole day in the end, but that was after spending hours and hours trying to resolve a hidden ECU parameter, getting a custom build of ForSCAN and then getting the sequence in the right order.

I'm in process of writing the How To, but you do need to ensure that your Edge has the correct features to begin with and that all the features are fully working with no temporary or persistent fault codes. You then need to buy the CORRECT ACC switch depending on your year and what version is available. Remember, this is a CAN enabled switch and the wrong version switch for your firmware on your ECU's will mean it just won't work and will generate a truck load of fault codes.

So to even think about converting to ACC you must have the following hardware as standard and it must be fully functional.

1. Collision mitigation / warning system with windshield heads-up led;

2. Front camera with traffic and speed sign recognition on the dash.

3. THE BIGGEST POINT. NEEDS TO BE POWERSHIFT / AUTO BOX NOT MANUAL.

If you don't have 1 and 2, ACC mod will fail and will never work. If you have a manual box, ACC can be made to work, but it becomes dangerous to use and there is no way for the car to change down gear when it slows or applies hard braking. If you have a manual box, then its not worth doing due to the risks.

• Like 2

I have 1, 2 and 3 without any doubt. My Edge is a 2017 Sport almost full optional (only panoramic sunroof and ACC are missing)

I bought the acc switch Ford part 2278290, so I should have everything.

Patiently waiting for your guide 🙂

11 hours ago, papinist said:

I have 1, 2 and 3 without any doubt. My Edge is a 2017 Sport almost full optional (only panoramic sunroof and ACC are missing)

I bought the acc switch Ford part 2278290, so I should have everything.

Patiently waiting for your guide 🙂

Have a look on the ForScan Forum, someone should send you codes. It won't be all drop down options.

HOW TO:- Add Active Cruise Control

Hello. The entire ACC process is not a quick job or something for a Saturday afternoon. There is very distinct process you need to follow in order to ensure no faults, errors, blown or damaged ECU's or a detonated airbag.

Disclaimer - You do this mod at entirely your own risk. This guide is based on it working on my 67 plate Edge 2.0 Titanium Lux. There is no guarantee it will work on your vehicle.

You will need an extended license of FORScan using this special version or higher.

FORScan version used: 2.3.42 provided by FORScan team specifically for the Edge PCM.

OBD Tool: OBDLink EX (amazon UK and US)

SWITCH PACK CHANGE

You need Ford Part: 2278290 or the newer version. NB May need your firmware updating by Ford to support the newer switch. (CAN may not see the new switch if firmware doesn't match and may generate a load of errors and DTC's).

Before doing this you need a pre-modification start-up sequence or you can blow things up or cause serious problems.

1. Attatch laptop to car with ForSCAN. Connect to ECU and scan fault codes. Screen copy or write them down.

2. Clear all codes. Shutdown car, open door and then close it. Lock the car and wait 30 seconds. Unlock the car, open bonnet and remove POSITIVE terminal from battery. Cover with food bag or tape to stop it from shorting. Leave the car for 5 mins to discharge the capacitors.

3. Use video clip from above and remove the airbag. It does get tight when pulling outwards and up, but it does come off. Follow the rest of the video and replace the complete switch assembly.

4. Rebuild the airbag steering wheel and reconnect the battery.

Your switch pack should now look like this below.

image.thumb.png.8bede7f8badafe3d6f80a480744253ff.png

5. Power up car and connect ForScan. Connect to ECU and scan fault codes. Screen copy or write them down.

6. Clear the fault codes, power down the car for 30 seconds and power back up. Rescan for fault codes. This should now be clear.

ECU MODIFICATIONS

Disclaimer - You do this mod at entirely your own risk. This guide is based on it working on my 67 plate Edge 2.0 Titanium Lux and myself being a competent Electronics Engineer. There is no guarantee it will work on your vehicle due to may different software / hardware / firmware factors. Warning. Risk of damage and or bricking your ECU's. You do this mod at entirely your own risk. I accept no liability or responsibility for any damage or problems this may cause.

Ensure Radio and AC system is switched off and anything connected to 12v outlets is removed.

1. Connect OBD Tool to port and connect FORScan. Backup all modules you work on;

2. Clear any fault codes and follow clearing procedure on FORScan;

3. Enter Configuration and Programming module;

4. Select SCCM Module Configuration (NOT AS BUILT)

Change STEERING WHEEL SWITCH CONFIG LEFT  TO SHOW Ford ASLD+ACC

sccm.thumb.JPG.1da1f790f75c6aa57959128dd0d10b2b.JPG

Comit and write the change. Power off and back on the car.

5. Scan and clear any fault codes.

6. Select PCM Module Configuration (NOT AS BUILT)

Change ADJUSTABLE SPEED LIMITER TO WITH ASL, WITH ISA

Change CRUISE CONTROL TO ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL

pcm.thumb.JPG.ef84852e384e30df682a2e76f93612d7.JPG

7. Scan and clear any fault codes.

8. Select IPC Module Configuration (NOT AS BUILT)

Change ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL TO ENABLED

Change ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL MENU TO ENABLED

ipcc.thumb.JPG.70236b13ffd701f4218c21085c40adfa.JPG

9 Scan and clear any fault codes.

10. Select BCM Module Configuration (NOT AS BUILT)

Change CRUISE CONTROL TO ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL

11 Scan and clear any fault codes.

12. Select ABS Module Configuration (NOT AS BUILT)

Change ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL (DOWN TO 30KPH) TO ENABLED

Change FORWARD COLLISION MITIGATION BY BRAKING TO ENABLED

abs.thumb.JPG.50a33e5400cf8535a1fc7924ee4362c6.JPG

13. Scan and clear any fault codes.

14. Disconnect FORScan and adapter. Power down car, step out, close all doors and lock the car. Wait for 1 minute and then open the car and power up. Using the left control buttons, change the left display screen to Menu, then select;-

DRIVER ASSISTIMG_3407.thumb.JPG.7455bf6df5d17cd5b3607946a7bc4fe2.JPG

CRUISE CONTROLIMG_3408.thumb.JPG.2255c4f4e0db73f7ccf5fd733c6a6e07.JPG

ENABLE ADAPTIVE AND OK

IMG_3409.thumb.JPG.9401447af7ba0911e825c1e122aa1886.JPG

Then Start your engine and push the CNCL/OFF Cruise button ONCE to activate Adaptive Cruise. The right display will change and show the below.

IMG_3411.thumb.JPG.721225629effb91345380e4873112253.JPG

Once at the speed you require, press the RES+ button to engage adaptive cruise control. Use the arrows next to RES to lower or increase the distance the car will keep from the vehicle it detects in front of you. As you get closer to a vehicle or an object appears infant of the car, the car will apply the brakes down to 27 Mph and will then go into standby and wait for you to reactive it via the RES buttons.

That's it! It worked for me, but remember it does not replace the real driver and you must stay vigilant behind the wheel.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club