Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 1.6tdci miles from a full tank?

Pluggy

Hi all, 

I started a thread but only got one reply so thought I would post it here in hope of a few more replies. 

I'm thinking of buying a 1.6tdci Mk6 5door. 

I know a few of the common issues such as egr/turbo and injector seal issues, are there any other issues to be aware of? 

Also how many miles do people get from a full tank of diesel ? ( I know this varies due to driving style etc just looking for a rough figure of what I should expect). Thanks

12 plate I get between 390 to 430 according to trip counter. That’s filling right up and running until light comes on at 50 miles left. Mostly use Vpower. Never filled up with supermarket diesel. 
That’s in town, A roads and motorway driving. Not driving lightly nor like F1. 

My 2p worth 

In my 2007 1.6tdci I got about 55mpg. I don’t know tank capacity. I did over 140k miles in it. About 75% fast dual carriageway / motorway. But not heavy footed acceleration.  My current 2015 1.5tdci econetic gives me 60 mpg.

Jeez you mk6 diesel drivers get a good fuel return hey!  40mpg on my 66plate petrol ecoboost!!

On 9/10/2021 at 9:31 PM, Pluggy said:

I know a few of the common issues such as egr/turbo and injector seal issues, are there any other issues to be aware of? 

There is some confusion about the Mk numbers for the Fiesta, the UK added 1 compared to most of the rest of the World at some stage! Assuming a Mk6 is 2008 to 2019, the the 1.6TDCI seems to have been changed from the 16 valve, twin cam DV6 to the 8 valve, single cam DV6C in around 2010. You would need to check this. The DV6C is a much better, and very different, design with most of the widely reported failings of the older DV6 being cured. See:

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/47/no/16/1552/15413/67015/

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/47/no/17/1553/15431/67112/

If it is the older DV6 engine: Change the oil a bit more often than normally suggested. And if it has the Eolys DPF system, do not ignore any error codes, check them out quickly. It can soon lead to a permanently blocked DPF if the Eolys system malfunctions, and it very often does.

If it is the newer DV6C, it should be as reliable as any other engine around.

Regarding fuel consumption, there are good engineering / scientific reasons for better fuel consumption & lower CO2.

Higher compression ratio. Actually it is not the compression ratio that matters, it is the expansion ratio, but in most piston engines this is the same. The other name for the expansion stroke is Power stroke. So the more expansion of the gas you have, the more power you can potentially get out of each stroke.

No Throttle: Putting a valve in the intake of an engine wastes a surprisingly large amount of power simply due to dragging air through a part closed valve, and in the way air flows through the valves, going the wrong way through the exhaust valve (at low power) when it first opens due to the partial vacuum in the cylinder. A Diesel takes full air on each stroke, just regulating the fuel to control the power.

Fast Burn: To take advantage of the high expansion ratio, you need to get the fuel energy converted to heat Before most of the expansion. That way the gas pushes harder on the piston throughout the power stroke. There is no free time between compression & expansion, the piston can't just pause! So fast burn gets the energy used better. Diesel fuel burns very quickly as it is being injected into the hot, compressed gas in the cylinder. A petrol engine can still be burning fuel at the start of the exhaust stroke, Old petrol Aero or racing engines with stub exhausts can be seen with jets of flame from the exhaust. Spectacular, but Very wasteful!

On my ancient 1.8, with 180k miles on the clock, I have been getting about 52-54mpg lately.

17 hours ago, wilsonpil said:

Oh and my road tax is........£0. 

Luckily, my road tax is zero too

It needs to be, with all this petrol I'm having to buy!... 🤣

• Haha 1

Just to rub it in when I said I get 60mpg that is not taken from the dashboard , it was done by noting how many litres of fuel I put in the car for over 30k miles , it was about 60.4mpg overall. The computer reads about 2.5% higher than the real figure. I don’t log it any more, I think 30k miles was enough.

2 hours ago, isetta said:

Just to rub it in when I said I get 60mpg that is not taken from the dashboard , it was done by noting how many litres of fuel I put in the car for over 30k miles , it was about 60.4mpg overall. The computer reads about 2.5% higher than the real figure. I don’t log it any more, I think 30k miles was enough.

Yeah that does actually rub it right in!

Good for you tho 👍

Hi Rob and all,

My two penn'orth... it's true the way we talk about Fiesta mark numbers is a bit out of kilter, but going along with common usage...

From 2008 to '14 I owned a mk6 1.6tdci Zetec 5dr. I did 64k miles and my overall average mpg was a touch under 57 I think. Across a tankful my lowest figure was 49mpg and best was 64. Like a saddo I have the 2006 brochure and it says the usable tank capacity for the diesel is 43 litres - 57mpg is about 540 miles if you used the lot so 500 miles is a realistic tank range I'd say. 

I'd add coolant leaks from the thermostat housing to the common problems list - mine did that once if not twice... (think it's a known weakness of the 1.6tdci?). 

Out of interest is there a reason you prefer the mk6 to the mk7 - I felt it was quite a step on from the mk6 but I realise there's the pounds, shillings and pence 😉

My 2007 mk6.5 1.6tdci had coolant leak from thermostat cover. Difficult to get to. I never fixed it. Radweld would help for a while. I put up with it for years. Over 5 years I reckon.  I prefer look of mk6.5 compared to my mk7.5, but my 1.5tdci mk7.5 is definitely more refined feel (noise/vibration) compared to my mk6.5 1.6tdci 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club