Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 1.8 diesel not starting

Vince Free

Hello All.

I've got a problem with my 59 plate 1.8 titanium.

Turns over perfectly but will not start, changed the filter and primed it - no joy.

Cracked the delivery union on the pump and cranked her over - no fuel being delivered.

Rigged up a direct feed to the pump and still no fuel showing.

OBD showing no faults.

Any ideas suggestions please?

Cheers.

Vince.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:51 PM, Vince Free said:

Hello All.

I've got a problem with my 59 plate 1.8 titanium.

Turns over perfectly but will not start, changed the filter and primed it - no joy.

Cracked the delivery union on the pump and cranked her over - no fuel being delivered.

Rigged up a direct feed to the pump and still no fuel showing.

OBD showing no faults.

Any ideas suggestions please?

Cheers.

Vince.

Is the large seal definitely between the bottom filter housing (that the filter sits in) and underneath the lip at the top of the filter?  It's fairly common for people to mistakenly fit the seal ABOVE the filter which causes way too much air to be drawn into the system.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:51 PM, Vince Free said:

've got a problem with my 59 plate 1.8 titanium.

Forscan, and some other diagnostic systems like Torque, will show you fuel rail pressure (as measured by the sensor), and many other things, while cranking.

Start2a.PNG

To get fuel rail pressure up to the 200bar (about) needed to fire up needs various things:

Fuel (and NO air) up to the pump.

VCV (fuel Volume Control Valve) energised & shut.

Pressure regulating valve not leaking. (Leaks from VCV & Pressure regulator will usually be apparent at the pump fuel return connection, if disconnected.)

No leaks on any injectors. (fuel leaking into cylinders will usually cause white smoke at the exhaust with extended cranking. Fuel can also leak to the injector "leak off" connector, which be measured directly by disconnecting.)

In addition, it needs about 200rpm cranking speed to even try to fire up, though apparent lack of any fuel pressure does indicate a fuel problem.

In the picture below, the silver valve nearer the front is the Pressure Regulator, it works on the high pressure output to release excess pressure, eg on sudden throttle release..

The darker valve nearer the back is the VCV, it works at lower pressure to regulate the flow of fuel into the main high pressure stage. It controls rail pressure under all normal conditions.

1-8Pump.png

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club