Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Woes

David1978

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this and I can't seem to find anything online about some of the following issues, but here goes.

I have had the car since June 2021, after brakes failing twice on an EV I had bought in December 2020, which needless to say put me off that particular brand and I couldn't afford any of the other EV's out there at the moment. Anyway, since ownership of the Fiesta, the following issues have occurred, and I'm wondering if they're "normal" or not. The car is a 67 plate, but registered Feb 2018.

1. Rattles. They are almost unbearable at times. I'd expect that off a car maybe 10-15 years old. Not a car that's nearing only 4 years old. They are also impossible to tell where exactly they're coming from. Obviously the car is no longer under warranty, but really, on a 4 year old car? The build quality just seems really poor and not what I expected from a car that's now onto it's 9th generation.

2. This one is very recent, as we are just getting into cold weather here in Scotland, after a surprisingly long warm/mild spring/summer/going into autumn. Admittedly the car is starting from cold and from home has to go up a relatively slight hill. This has the automatic gearbox, and this thing literally screams in high revs trying to get up the hill. I try to over-ride it with the "flappy gear change buttons", but the car point blank refuses to change into a higher gear. I believe it is stuck in 2nd, going by the revs and the noise of the engine. Is this normal in cold weather? I'd hate to think what it's going to be like when it gets colder. 

3. This sort of follows on from point 1, but sometimes there is some sort of metal clunking noise coming from dear knows where.

4. There is sometimes a smell of petrol coming through the air vents. Now I know this is definitely not normal, but there seem to be no leaks, so I have no idea what's causing the smell.

5. This is also a recent issue. When I press on the brake, there seems to be some sort of clicking noise coming from the automatic gearbox while it is in the park mode. I have also noticed another clicking noise when I release the button on the gearbox from park into drive. It may be a relay, but everything seems to be working as it should, apart from the above point 2 regarding the automatic gearbox.

To say I'm a bit disappointed in the Ford Fiesta is a wee bit of an understatement, as I expected it to be a far better car than it's proved out to be for me. If anyone could let me know if any of the above are "normal" or not, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi David,

You would have been better posting in the Fiesta forum, but it's hard finding your way around at first, I know. Might be helpful to.mention the cars mileage, also.

There are many threads in the Fiesta forum on assorted rattles etc, some from trim items (door cards, Speakers etc) some from vibrating hoses under the bonnet. Seems to affect some cars, not others, not clear why.

I've no direct experience of that gearbox, and don't know what you're used to or expected, but would comment that you've only got 100ps to move what is not a particularly light car nowadays. Friends of mine have had one from new however and are still very happy with it after 4 years, so things don't sound right with yours.

You don't say if the car was purchased privately or from a dealer? If the latter, that would be my first port of call while you've only had the car 6 months. Summary of the legal position here:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/your-legal-rights-if-something-goes-wrong-with-your-car/n3307

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club