Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 1.6 TDCI Econetic. Help !

Winstan

Hey guys, 

Have a MK7 MY2010 1.6TDCI econetic that has failed its MOT on a broken front spring. 

Spoke to euro car parts as they list multiple springs for the model but none are suitable for the econetic model. And its a main dealer only part.

Spoke to main dealer none in stock in ford uk.

First question is what is so different about the econetic model compared to a regular MK7 Diesel?

Second could I replace both front springs for a regular fiesta diesel fitment.

I can only assume there is a height/ spring compression difference.

Any help appreciated ! 

I believe the econetic was lower than the standard models to reduce drag. 

Tbh you should be ok chucking a pair of standard aftermarket fronts on, it would only have been around 10mm difference I think.

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbh you should be ok chucking a pair of standard aftermarket fronts on, it would only have been around 10mm difference I think.

Thanks for the reply, I can live with ride height difference, guessed it was something like that. 👍 

On 11/19/2021 at 7:51 PM, TomsFocus said:

If you can bear the pedantry, if memory serves it was 10mm lower at front and 8mm at the rear 🤓 & Ford did claim a fractionally lower drag factor. 

My 2011 econetic broke both its rear springs, at different times - for one of them my dealer had to source the replacement from Germany so it's a bit depressing to hear supplies are still scarce when it seems a fairly common fault....

• Like 1

I think the Zetec S, which was pretty popular in diesel form, was also 10mm lower than the standard models, so it's surprising Ford don't have any stock.

26 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I think the Zetec S, which was pretty popular in diesel form, was also 10mm lower than the standard models, so it's surprising Ford don't have any stock.

I'm sure you're right but am guessing the springs aren't the same as the Zetec S was stiffer as well as lower wasn't it ...🤓 my econetic was fairly softly sprung & it wasn't that hard to use all the spring travel over big speed bumps.

Reality is, there's just not enough demand for aftermarket springs in this spec so you end up with the choice of paying silly amounts with long waits for the OE parts or just sticking a set of standard springs on...  I'd guess most are probably on aftermarket standards by now.  Of course, you could always fit a set of lowering springs from Eibach or similar instead.

16 hours ago, wordchild said:

I'm sure you're right but am guessing the springs aren't the same as the Zetec S was stiffer as well as lower wasn't it ...🤓 my econetic was fairly softly sprung & it wasn't that hard to use all the spring travel over big speed bumps.

Yes, I don't know how the spring rates compared.

I bought a Titanium diesel from Ford Direct over 10 years ago, but the dealer didn't have one for test drive so I had a long drive in an Econetic, to get the feel of the engine. It seemed a pretty sporty drive, more so than the Titanium when I got it, and I would have put it on the firm side, certainly not soft. Memory's a funny thing but I recall similar comments in road tests at the time, such as:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/39285/ford-fiesta-econetic

which mentions: "The pay-off is a firm low-speed ride"

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I don't know how the spring rates compared.

I bought a Titanium diesel from Ford Direct over 10 years ago, but the dealer didn't have one for test drive so I had a long drive in an Econetic, to get the feel of the engine. It seemed a pretty sporty drive, more so than the Titanium when I got it, and I would have put it on the firm side, certainly not soft. Memory's a funny thing but I recall similar comments in road tests at the time, such as:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/39285/ford-fiesta-econetic

which mentions: "The pay-off is a firm low-speed ride"

Thanks Roger 🙂 for what it's worth I don't disagree with your impressions or those of Auto Express. I'd suggest it was fairly softly sprung but tautly damped, the latter giving it the firm low speed ride and generally good body control - but the former, combined with shortish spring travel meaning it was quite easy to hit the front bump stops over big speed humps. 

At the risk of droning on I'd also suggest the Zetec Ss would have had to be set up firmer in order to get the most out of the wider tyres they were shod with - econetics were on 175/65 14s as you likely remember, which look toy town size now... though at least new tyres weren't £100-odd a corner...

I have a 2010 econetic and replaced the front springs last year, just put my reg no into euro car parts, and it offered me:-

Starline Coil Spring (Front)Product Code: 627592889

and

Sachs Coil Spring (Front)Product Code: 627592890

I bought and fitted the starline ones, and have had no issues....

Cheers Andy

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club