Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are these 16" Mondeo? Alloys suitable for the Mk2 Focus?

AntonovAN12

These have come up for sale locally. I believe they are Mondeo wheels.

They are also shown fitted with 205/55R16 tyres, which are the same size as fitted to my Mk2 hatchback.

Are they the correct offset and stud pattern for the Focus?

Thanks for any info.

ford_alloys.jpg

1 hour ago, F0CUE said:

Yes they should go on fine.

Thanks for the reply.

One of them looks like it may have a piece missing from the outer lip. I will ask the seller for more detailed photos.

As I have steel wheels on now, I know I would also need 20 alloy wheel type nuts.

2 hours ago, AntonovAN12 said:

These have come up for sale locally. I believe they are Mondeo wheels.

Hope the price allows you a refurb on them, they'll be lovely all shiny...

One of them looks to have non repairable damage.

Looking closely at the end of lower most spoke on the middle left wheel, there may be a chip out of the metal at the edge.

I am waiting for the seller to respond with a better photo.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

To revive an old thread, Is the type below suitable? I have seen a reasonable condition set for sale.

mondeo_wheel.png

Yes, they'll fit fine. 

Fun fact - they're manufactured by Borbet who also make some pretty snazzy aftermarket rims. :smile: 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct that they use the same wheel nuts as all other alloy types?

The car has steel wheels on now, so the current nuts are not suitable for alloys.

Is anyone likely to try to steal these alloys nowadays? I may be able to get a set of original lock nuts from my usual breakers.

If I do buy the alloys, I will also have to do something about the rusty rear brake drums. These are hidden by the steel wheels. Drums and alloys don't always look right.

On our Mk2.5 I wire-brushed the drums and painted them with black engine lacquer, reasoning this is likely to be more heat-resistant than ordinary paint. It lasted quite a few years before I needed to freshen it up.

IMG_0805.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AntonovAN12 said:

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct that they use the same wheel nuts as all other alloy types?

The car has steel wheels on now, so the current nuts are not suitable for alloys.

Is anyone likely to try to steal these alloys nowadays? I may be able to get a set of original lock nuts from my usual breakers.

If I do buy the alloys, I will also have to do something about the rusty rear brake drums. These are hidden by the steel wheels. Drums and alloys don't always look right.

Yes, they use the old type one-piece alloy wheel nuts like this.

Genuine Ford Wheel Nut With Stainless Cap For Alloy Wheels Single x1 1678260 | eBay

Genuine Ford Wheel Nut With Stainless Cap For Alloy Wheels Single x1 1678260 - Picture 1 of 3

Genuine Ford Wheel Nut With Stainless Cap For Alloy Wheels Single x1 1678260 - Picture 2 of 3

Genuine Ford Wheel Nut With Stainless Cap For Alloy Wheels Single x1 1678260 - Picture 3 of 3

People do still steal alloys but really only the most desirable ones to sell on for good money.  They're worth about a fiver each to scrap so not worth the hassle for that.  

I painted the drums on my Mk2 black.  Think I just used some cheap Hammerite substitute from Poundland and it was fine.  I had multispoke alloys that obscured the drums pretty well though, so I didn't need a perfectly smooth paint finish on them.

IMG_20170509_170427327.thumb.jpg.0ad479c739a0d88a4b774970a6ffa081.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. One good thing about drums is they don't shed any brake dust.

The plastic trims on my back wheels look almost new compared to the front ones which are stained.

I see so many expensive cars with badly corroded alloys that look like they have never once been washed.

Thanks for the advice.

I bought the set of Borbet wheels for £110 for a set of 4. They are not perfect but good condition for the price.

Another place I use fitted them to the car as the seller didn't have tyre fitting equipment. They charged £60 for fitting the good set of tyres from my steel wheels onto the alloys and fitting them to the car.

This was after they gave me a discount in return for two of the tyres the alloys came with. They were good condition (but non-branded) which they kept to sell on. The other two tyres on the alloys were scrap.

The centre caps will need replacing as three are missing.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club