Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low oil pressure light on while start-stop system is on/engine off

Tony Roman

Hi everybody, sorry for my bad English /not native/. I own a Ford Focus 2016 1,0 ecoboost 76000 km. The engine is serviced regularly with the recommended oil Castrol Magnatec 5W20 at the official ford dealer in Sofia, Bulgaria. However for the last 3 months I have had an issue. The low oil pressure light came on with warning signal while I was waiting at a red traffic light with a start-stop system on and a stopped engine. It happens twice.  When I start the engine again the light goes off immediately and the engine runs normally. No rattling noise. I don't know how to interpret this issue since it happens on a automatically stopped engine. In the last 2 months I drive the car with a start-stop system off and everything seems normal. When I first start the engine in the morning /cold start/ the light goes off within a second during which engine sounds a little bit rough, otherwise it goes off instantly. However I know about the clogging oil pump strainer I am worrying having the same issue ...   Any ideas?

Yes the low oil pressure can indicate wet belt has been deteriorating and clogging up the oil pump strainer. It's best to get it checked out or can result in engine failure.

• Like 1

I know that but the question in this case is why it comes on when the engine is switched off by the start/stop . No rotation/ no oil pressure ... In a working engine everything looks fine! 

has the oil light just started to come on after the last oil/filter change on the car ? if so then check the oil level. and if the oil filter is a paper insert type of filter they may not have fitted it correctly and tightend it up enough

Last oil change was last September. The oil level is OK. Don't think it is related with the oil filter.

Hi, The low oil pressure warning light should not come on when stop/start system is active.

I would advise to get the car checked out. Could be a cluster or PCM fault.

As long as the low oil pressure light does not come on when on idle then it's just a software glitch.

Have you been playing with Forscan lately?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Hi, The low oil pressure warning light should not come on when stop/start system is active.

I would advise to get the car checked out. Could be a cluster or PCM fault.

As long as the low oil pressure light does not come on when on idle then it's just a software glitch.

Have you been playing with Forscan lately?

Thanks a lot Dave, I also thought it is a software bug but as the car is almost 6 years old the serious problem with the wet belt scaling and clogging the oil pump urge me to seek for another opinion or experience. No, I am not familiar with the Forscan but I will consider getting the car checked out at the Ford dealer.

28 minutes ago, Tony Roman said:

Thanks a lot Dave, I also thought it is a software bug but as the car is almost 6 years old the serious problem with the wet belt scaling and clogging the oil pump urge me to seek for another opinion or experience. No, I am not familiar with the Forscan but I will consider getting the car checked out at the Ford dealer.

I have seen posts on other sites saying the belt is only lasting about 5 years.

10 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

The issue is warning light when stop/start active though, that shouldn't happen. You should only get green stop/start lamp and zero tacho, no other warnings

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

To be honest this a little bit controversial as it depends on driving stile, regular and correct oil service, fuel quality etc. This engine is sold in Bulgaria since 2013 and in our Ford forums I found only one post for 1.0 ecoboost engine failure due wet belt slip. And what is more interesting there are still no posts of wet belt change.  And for Bulgaria Ford reduced the wet belt change interval to 8 years or 160 K km.

• Like 1

Yes, it's wrong oil usage or additive or flushing that causes wet belt issues

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club