Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Sync update, now no Bluetooth !!

tomo2001

7 hours ago, unofix said:

Had very similar problems yesterday with my car. Everything was fine when I first went out in the car. After 5 minutes both my phone and car started flashing messages about no phone and pair phone. Since I was driving at the time I just ignored the problem. When I parked up I didn't have time to investigate. Twenty minutes later I drove home still with no working Bluetooth. Got home and switched off. Had things to do so it was about 20 minutes later before I went back to the car to see what was going on. Found car had no phones paired. Tried my phone but nothing. Switched phone Bluetooth off and back on, then re-paired my phone and all was back to normal. 

Today I've had no further problems. 

Is this after the Ford update or the Cyanlabs update?

This was after the full Ford F11 map update which I did on Saturday 13th August, using a USB downloaded a day or two before.

A few things that may (or may not!) be relevant.

1. When I initially tried to remove and add my phone I was in a multi-storey car park with poor signal (even DAB vanished!).

2. When I got home, first thing I did was upload the .xml file to Ford telling them the update was complete. It found it and appeared happy.

3. Went back out to car, good phone signal, my phone had disappeared, but it found, and connected to, wife's. Re-added my phone and all is good.

I doubt it was the .xml that did it, but possibly you need a good phone signal for both car and phone in order for it to work?

Mine still works.. (for now!)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sneezy24 said:

A few things that may (or may not!) be relevant.

1. When I initially tried to remove and add my phone I was in a multi-storey car park with poor signal (even DAB vanished!).

2. When I got home, first thing I did was upload the .xml file to Ford telling them the update was complete. It found it and appeared happy.

3. Went back out to car, good phone signal, my phone had disappeared, but it found, and connected to, wife's. Re-added my phone and all is good.

I doubt it was the .xml that did it, but possibly you need a good phone signal for both car and phone in order for it to work?

Mine still works.. (for now!)

Interesting, phone signal should not impact bluetooth connectivity, I couldn't even connect an ipod after the update and this isnt even a phone.

30 minutes ago, tomo2001 said:

Interesting, phone signal should not impact Bluetooth connectivity, I couldn't even connect an ipod after the update and this isnt even a phone.

Agree, it shouldn't, but something was different!

But, for now, it works, so any possible cause is just speculation, don't intend downgrading and re-upgrading to diagnose! (did enough of that when I was working.....)

Just an update to say its school holidays so have been using the car alot. We have probably been out 20 times and done 400 miles, still hasnt had any issues and ive removed and added the phones again a few times without issues. I did this as my module is covered under my used car warranty so want to make sure the fix lasts

I can't seem to edit my first post so I just came to say... Amy's back! - read in a Clarkson voice.

I don't really know how I fixed it; but I started route guidance, muted and unmuted voice prompts (that normally mutes Amy anyway) which I tried previously, but I also selected chimes & voice prompts in hazard spotting (previously on voice only) then spammed the voice recognition button and adjusted the volume. At last, Amy has resumed warning me about speed cameras like she used too! :smile:

On 8/23/2022 at 4:19 PM, Karbonfaiba said:

My update method was all done via USB on an MXS 5.0 battery charger (which saved a lot of petrol) but also while having Wi-Fi active and connected.

The full process took me 2 days...

Can't help wondering if buying a 'new' car is beyond the technical ability of the vast majority of people when they currently struggle to change a wheel, or ignore the flashing red light on the dash suggesting they need more fuel... 😧

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Can't help wondering if buying a 'new' car is beyond the technical ability of the vast majority of people when they currently struggle to change a wheel, or ignore the flashing red light on the dash suggesting they need more fuel... 😧

Or is it just the motor companies loading the dice in thier favour, so they can charge extortionate prices for parts and labour. I've said before if they built a car that although not shiny and curvy that was basic and worked, was cheap to fix, they'd sell in their droves.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

...I've said before if they built a car that although not shiny and curvy that was basic and worked, was cheap to fix, they'd sell in their droves.

mmm... you mean like the VW Beetle, or the Mini? LOL

6 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

I've said before if they built a car that although not shiny and curvy that was basic and worked, was cheap to fix, they'd sell in their droves.

Dacia is enjoying strong sales growth, in contrast to the market generally...........😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Dacia is enjoying strong sales growth......😀

James May must be thrilled 🤣

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

My thoughts too. I have the feeling a lot of these OTA updates would normally be dealership visits considering what's involved. Perhaps some manufactures like Ferrari or McLaren keep these strictly offline updates just to hide the complexity.

I'm half grateful to Ford to allow us savvy customers to self-service, but I also get the impression it's not done with much consideration for the user experience. Ford basically concealed an engineers job with a user interface.

• Like 1

I believe that the vast majority of owners just don't  bother with self installed map updates, so not a big issue for manufacturers.

Also the way they do the updates themselves is a little stupid I think.  You should be able to select which countries maps you want, I for one will not be driving all over Europe, with a 20gb + sized update that must be 100% new maps, why not just change the road that have be added or removed I bet 99% of the F11 roads are the same as F9 roads.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

You should be able to select which countries maps you want, I for one will not be driving all over Europe, with a 20gb + sized update that must be 100% new maps, why not just change the road that have be added or removed I bet 99% of the F11 roads are the same as F9 roads.

I've been saying that for a long time. 

I have had the Here App on my phone for a long time for its excellent offline capabilities (this is the system that Ford use) and you can choose to just download and update whatever area of the world you want, including just parts of the UK.

The whole of the UK including Voice Files is only about 1gb and updates are released about three times a year.

• Like 3

The updates cover new juctions a road flows messed about with by your local council, as with tomtom and the likes. I use my phone as my sat-nav, none of this new fangled in dash jobbies

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, unofix said:

This was after the full Ford F11 map update which I did on Saturday 13th August, using a USB downloaded a day or two before.

Hi unofix,

My car seems to have 'fixed itself'. All seems to be working normally again now. Interestingly since it has been OK, a pop up appeared on the screen yesterday to say Sync had been updated succesfully. Checking the version it now says Sync 3.4 22110 and F11 maps. This is whilst parked on the drive connected to the house wifi 😀 I only updated Sync to 3.4 but never did the map update via USB

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tomo2001 said:

Hi unofix,

My car seems to have 'fixed itself'. All seems to be working normally again now. Interestingly since it has been OK, a pop up appeared on the screen yesterday to say Sync had been updated succesfully. Checking the version it now says Sync 3.4 22110 and F11 maps. This is whilst parked on the drive connected to the house wifi 😀 I only updated Sync to 3.4 but never did the map update via USB

Mine is still working....

Interestingly, when I first attempted the map update (to F11, the Sync update went fine), the car said the USB stick format was invalid (I had just done a quick format, and copied the map files).

So, I reformatted - full - the USB stick (SANDisk 32GB), got the same message.

I then took my 'Music' stick, reformatted, loaded the files, all good (same make/model of stick as I used for maps)

So, I reformatted the old maps stick, copied my music to it, put it in the car and had tunes.... for a while. I know get 'Invalid format' again!!

Obviously a problem with the stick, but it works fine on Windows 11 and Ubuntu.

Oh, and I tried BOTH USB ports!

• Like 1

I had the same issue with the usb stick regarding updating sync and playing other media. 

After alot of time wasting i stumbled across a thread regarding how the usb partition is formated, MBR OR GPT.

I wasnt even aware of this and was just doing general formatting to exfat or fat32.

Anyway the partition had to be formated as MBR NOT GPT.

As standard the SanDisk are generally pre formated to GPT depending on where it came from.

Anyway if you google how to format usb partition to MBR you will find various instructions on how to do so.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2022 at 11:09 PM, Ecosport2019 said:

I had the same issue with the usb stick regarding updating sync and playing other media. 

After alot of time wasting i stumbled across a thread regarding how the usb partition is formated, MBR OR GPT.

I wasnt even aware of this and was just doing general formatting to exfat or fat32.

Anyway the partition had to be formated as MBR NOT GPT.

As standard the SanDisk are generally pre formated to GPT depending on where it came from.

Anyway if you google how to format usb partition to MBR you will find various instructions on how to do so.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, didn't even think this might be the cause, I did run into MBR vs GPT on a new SSD I installed a few weeks ago.

Bit strange that it did the Sync update, but not maps!

Also, the two USB sticks are the same make and model, and I've only ever used Windows formatter (Win 11) to change from FAT32, EXT3, NTFS - not knowingly change the MBR/GPT format!

Will dig some more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sneezy24 said:

Thanks, didn't even think this might be the cause, I did run into MBR vs GPT on a new SSD I installed a few weeks ago.

Bit strange that it did the Sync update, but not maps!

Also, the two USB sticks are the same make and model, and I've only ever used Windows formatter (Win 11) to change from FAT32, EXT3, NTFS - not knowingly change the MBR/GPT format!

Will dig some more!

MBR/GPT come into play when installing new hard drives into laptops pc's etc, i've never come up againt the issue on sticks tho i suppose it is possible, stored in the memory banks. thanks

2 hours ago, Jimpster said:

MBR/GPT come into play when installing new hard drives into laptops pc's etc, i've never come up againt the issue on sticks tho i suppose it is possible, stored in the memory banks. thanks

I've got 3 USB sticks that I have tried, 2 are MBR format and work (both SanDisk but slightly different models). The other SanDisk I have (Identical to the other) is GPT format, and doesn't work!

I have no idea how the format got changed, I bought the 2 identical sticks at the same time, have used them both for music files in the car, and the SYNC update worked. I did a quick format before doing the MAPS - this must have changed the format to GPT!! (this stick no longer works for music either, so the Ford system doesn't like GPT!)

You learn something every day!

Thanks for the pointers on this, I'll reformat as MBR and report back!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:00 PM, Sneezy24 said:

I've got 3 USB sticks that I have tried, 2 are MBR format and work (both SanDisk but slightly different models). The other SanDisk I have (Identical to the other) is GPT format, and doesn't work!

I have no idea how the format got changed, I bought the 2 identical sticks at the same time, have used them both for music files in the car, and the SYNC update worked. I did a quick format before doing the MAPS - this must have changed the format to GPT!! (this stick no longer works for music either, so the Ford system doesn't like GPT!)

You learn something every day!

Thanks for the pointers on this, I'll reformat as MBR and report back!

Eventually got it back to MBR, see how it goes.......

I used diskpart under command line, lots of things on internet suggest it can be done from Disk Management, but I didn't see the option.

Is it not under disk management ? i seem to remember it is when your go through the partition routine

On 9/28/2022 at 10:48 AM, Jimpster said:

Is it not under disk management ? i seem to remember it is when your go through the partition routine

That it what I thought, but it didn't appear.

Diskpart is easy, just type 'diskpart' on command line, then 'list disk', then select whatever disk number your USB stick is (eg 'select disk 1'), then 'clean', then 'convert mbr' (or, if you want to make it gpt, 'convert gpt')

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club