Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dipped beam issue - not working!

StephenFord

On driving home, noticed my dipped beams aren't working. Side lights are fine, main beams are fine. Dash lights are all fine. I'm assuming a fuse? What fuse is it, and where would it be located? (2005 Mk2)

Haynes Diag3 p12.26 "Typical Headlights"

Passenger Fusebox :

lamps fused seperately

- 142 & 143 Dip both fed from one relay.  15A

- 139 & 140 Main, fed from another relay. 10A

All fed from F3 in engine compartment - 60A

I almost replied:

In between the three brass prongs is a big brass screw (not to confused with the two smaller screws). Undo this, and separate the two halves of the unit.

The fuse (a small cylinder about an inch long with shiny bits at each end) will be between the brown wire and the RH pin clip.....

12 minutes ago, Paulkp said:

lamps fused seperately

- 142 & 143 Dip both fed from one relay.  15A

All fed from F3 in engine compartment - 60A

Can I assume then it's a relay failure as the likelihood of both bulbs blowing simultaneously (and they worked fine a few days ago), is highly unlikely? 

There is also a "Lighting Control" fuse, F115, 7.5A which might be a "Single Point of Failure", but I would have thought relay more likley.  Your could try swapping the main beam relay with the dip relay and seeing if there is any change.

• Like 1

Sounds like a job for a proper man, I'll see how my guy is fixed 1st thing Monday LOL...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Can I assume then it's a relay failure as the likelihood of both bulbs blowing simultaneously (and they worked fine a few days ago), is highly unlikely? 

Anytime I have had a blown Headlight the other side has also gone fairly soon afterwards.

Of course it might just be one of those rare occasions when both tulips have bloomed at the same time 😉

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

Of course it might just be one of those rare occasions when both tulips have bloomed at the same time 😉

True, but replaced both just a year ago, I still think it's unlikely...

1915801341_PhilipsH7Ultra.thumb.jpg.9c6b8cede885eb0a4747fa6b33ae3ac7.jpg

• Like 1

.... why am I not surprised you have a photo of said tulips 🤣

• Haha 6

if you have a mk2 focus - u should always assume the bulbs have popped - did it every month since it was made for 12 years - they pretended some resistor to each bulb could calm it down (rubbish) - totally cured 4 years on - after I put LEDs in there

then you get to see what causes the failure - on cranking it puts split second a voltage spike to the dip bulbs when they aren't even turned on !!!

even with a GEM swap and a new set up to auto lights the "feature is still there"

3 hours ago, Botus said:

then you get to see what causes the failure - on cranking it puts split second a voltage spike to the dip bulbs when they aren't even turned on !!!

even with a GEM swap and a new set up to auto lights the "feature" is still there

A simple and cost-free fix would be to turn Auto Lights off and use the computer between your ears to control them. :whistling:

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, mjt said:

A simple and cost-free fix would be to turn Auto Lights off and use the computer between your ears to control them. :whistling:

can you read?

the voltage spike is on on ALL 57 plate or later mk2s with the std manual lights turned on OR off !!! and on the option auto lights cars, with them turned on OR off !!!

the fault was there as supplied by ford - after becoming expertly proficient at swapping bulbs, but poor from buying them....  I read a KNOWN design fault was "fudged over" with a resistor loom to each light unit that dealers can fit (the fault is on most of the fords of this era mondeo included) I bought the bits fitted and the bulbs carry on popping just as they always did

its the fitting of the much more durable but also much more efficient and faster responding LEDs that allows you to see the flash during crank regardless of what else is on, off or auto

and as I wrote but clearly English is a bit of a stretch for you, even fitting a higher spec GEM made a year later, they still hadn't bothered to remove the fault

7 hours ago, mjt said:

The computer between my ears is in full working order - I do not have 'auto' lights LOL :biggrin: Also, my car is a 2005 model, so should avoid that built in fault...

• Haha 1

Owned my 2008 Mk2.5 for over 3 years and never popped a single headlight bulb...  I did have the optional Xenons though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Owned my 2008 Mk2.5 for over 3 years and never popped a single headlight bulb...  I did have the optional Xenons though.

that's cheating

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Botus said:

even with a GEM swap and a new set up to auto lights the "feature" is still there

It was this line that made me think it was only related to Auto Lights.

And yes, I'm a very proficient reader thank you.

18 hours ago, Paulkp said:

Hamster Jam....

Sorry Stephen, I was talking Double Dutch...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paulkp said:

I was talking Double Dutch...

That would be Amster-Jam 😉

• Haha 2

Just noticed that when I turn on my 'non working' dipped beam, I can hear a definitive click from under the glove box. Does this further a diagnosis, or just an irrelevance?

Don't want to point out the obvious but have you actually checked the bulbs yet?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ecosport2019 said:

Don't want to point out the obvious but have you actually checked the bulbs yet?

Only externally, and using a very bright light, both filaments look fully intact... Like I've already said, both worked fine a couple of days ago, so I feel the chances of both failing simultaneously are pretty small, but I guess, not impossible.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ecosport2019 said:

Externally? As in from outside the headlamps 🤣

Yes, you know when a domestic house bulb blows, and you hold it up to the light to check the filament? :biggrin:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club