Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine swap

Lettz

Hi just wondering if anyone’s done or thought of doing a engine conversion in a mk7 pfl Ford fiesta 2012 1.2 I want to try and put a 1.7 puma lump into my car I’ve owned the car 6 years now I can’t get rid of it as got attachments to it, I don’t want an st so don’t say buy an st I want my car Shell with different engine in something that is different, if I can’t do the puma 1.7 I’ll go for something different, I’ve spoke to a few mechanics & companies that do engine swaps it can be done just need to money, I can easily get the engines and parts, just want to know thoughts? And if anyone has done anything different to there 1.2 engine swap wise. 

Not seen anything on a Mk 7, but there are certainly a couple of old threads somewhere on here where it has been done on earlier versions (Mk 4/5). Also Pumaspeed have done it, again on an earlier car:

https://pumaspeed.co.uk/viewadvice.jsp?newsID=14

As you say, anything can be done with money, but I imagine 1.7 engines might be getting thin on the ground by now, and possibly a 1.6, which was fitted to the Mk 7 Titanium and Zetec S, as well as the slightly more powerful 134ps version in the S1600 and Metal might be easier to find?

As the Mk 6 and 7 are pretty similar running gear, a 2.0 from a Mk 6 ST might also be a possibility.

• Like 1

Is a remap possible? That would be 1/10 of the money if it can be done.

2 hours ago, alanfp said:

Is a remap possible?

It is, but on a normally aspirated 1.25 the benefits would be minimal - I think Superchips, for example, quote something like 4bhp and 7Nm.

• Like 1

If you're going to all that effort, I'd want to fit the 1.6 EcoBoost from a facelift ST myself.   Non-turbo petrols are old tech nowadays, low torque, poor fuel economy, etc.

• Like 1

It would probably be a little bit tricky backwards engineering a Puma engine into a MK7, not impossible though. A Puma is basically a MKIV Fiesta

If you're adamant you want to keep your car, you need to bear in mind that you can't just do a powertrain swop, you need to upgrade brakes and suspension too, to suit and your insurance will be considerably more expensive, remember, than a standard ST. 

The easiest, and cheapest option would be to buy a written off, rear end shunted MK7.5 ST with the 1.6 Turbo engine and just transfer everything over to your car, Harnesses, Engine and Transmission, suspension, brakes, trim, the lot

• Like 3

Hi.

If you have any issues with insurance for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club