Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK4.5 2022+ issues thread

Chera

On 4/15/2023 at 2:16 PM, northern_nubie said:

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this corrosion on their vehicle? And if so how old is your vehicle? Going to get it checked at a dealer next week, but thought someone else may have experienced something similar. Not the sort of thing I'd expect on a car a year after its manufacture, but I could be wrong of course.

I showed my local Ford dealer this, and had the usual less than reassuring response I've had in the past from Ford dealers, when I asked them about other issues on my previous Focus. They often don't know answers to things you'd think they'd know straightaway.

The senior tech I showed this to, first of all said it looks like it could be caused by a leak from the coolant reservoir. When I said I don't think it is, he said, oh no that would be orange in colour I suppose. Then he said it's corrosion and "is normal" (seemingly Ford's stock answer to so many questions, even when things aren't normal). He didn't explain. So I said, if it's normal (which of course it may be) what's the cause? He said aluminium corrodes. Why he didn't say that at the beginning, God knows. Nothing about dendritic growth and filiform. As I say, I've had repeated instances this sort of response. It's one of the key things I've found frustrating about dealers.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for any help regarding sync 4 not showing caller ID on incoming phone calls, only the number shows but contact names are visible on the recent calls list, anyone else had this problem, TIA

On 4/20/2023 at 8:59 PM, northern_nubie said:

I've had repeated instances this sort of response. It's one of the key things I've found frustrating about dealers.

In fairness to them, much like my profession, it's impossible to know everything off the top of their heads.

I work in IT, and it's amazing how many people assume I can program stuff, or know the meaning behind an error code without looking. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 12:42 PM, Don MC said:

The garage now suspects there may be a problem with my ABS system. A pressure sensor fault or something. They say that could be the reason my mHEV doesn't assist.
My ABS brakes are fine though. Even if there was an intermittent fault code that they did reset.

It's going in on Monday for an entirely different reason, but I asked if they could update any software that hasn't been updated yet. From what I've understood elsewhere on the web, at least the 48V DC/DC module has an update coming. I've been wondering why my voltage is more than 15V when driving.

Car went in for a replacement of the ABS unit and TCU (telematics control) unit. The ABS unit had some faults and replacing it should get rid of the mHEV problems, while a new TCU should get rid of the Emergency call fault error that keeps popping up on every start.

At the same time, the should adjust the rear brakes so that they don't howl when I reverse out of my parking space.

The called me in the afternoon and said they were having problems programming the new units. The car started acting up and blinking its lights etc.
So it will stay in for a while longer than planned.

Luckily they lent me a similar Focus, so I can still move around.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 2:03 PM, dontpannic said:

In fairness to them, much like my profession, it's impossible to know everything off the top of their heads.

I work in IT, and it's amazing how many people assume I can program stuff, or know the meaning behind an error code without looking. 

Fair point. I suppose the underlying issue for me is that I feel there is too much tech in modern cars, much of it pretty pointless, imho.

• Like 1

I’d like to add to this…

Wireless Charging! It just makes my phone hot and hardly charges it. Anybody has this fixed under warranty?  

On 6/6/2023 at 10:22 PM, MrPickle said:

I’d like to add to this…

Wireless Charging! It just makes my phone hot and hardly charges it. Anybody has this fixed under warranty?  

The problem it's the same for MK4, so there is no fix..This is how the wireless charging it's working on this car unfortunately.... 

4 minutes ago, Chera said:

The problem it's the same for MK4, so there is no fix..This is how the wireless charging it's working on this car unfortunately.... 

Tbf, it's how wireless charging works in general. It's an issue on many other cars too, a car is the worst environment for wireless charging which inherently always warms the phone more than a cable. The mk4 has the mat in a slightly enclosed position, it's not as bad as some cars, some have them in the armrest which is totally useless as it will hotbox the phone.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 8:22 PM, MrPickle said:

I’d like to add to this…

Is this the first time you're wireless charging? It generates heat regardless and is a slower method of charging - if you're using wireless carplay / audio playback while wirelessly charging, then what you've described sounds pretty normal.

• Like 2

The first time I had a Mk4 for a test drive, I tried putting my iPhone on the wireless charging pad. The wireless charging of my phone immediately broke. It made a short charging sound and then never charged wirelessly again.

Luckily the phone was repaired on warranty (replaced back plate, motherboard and battery), but I am still very wary of wirelessly charging my phone in my Mk4.5. I do charge my phone with my MagSafe charger every time though.

Common sense tells me one can't break the phone with even a faulty wireless charging pad, but I'm still too scared to use the charger in my car.

• Sad 2

Excuse my ignorance. Mk4 owner without wireless CarPlay or charging. How does wireless CarPlay work? Does the phone just need to be anywhere in the car? And wireless charging, is that something that can be switched off? As it is in the obvious place to keep a phone, charging or not. 

41 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Excuse my ignorance. Mk4 owner without wireless CarPlay or charging. How does wireless CarPlay work? Does the phone just need to be anywhere in the car? And wireless charging, is that something that can be switched off? As it is in the obvious place to keep a phone, charging or not. 

If I don’t want my phone trying to charge I just place it screen face down in that spot. Wireless CarPlay isn’t on Sync 3 but I think sync 4 supports it. Phone needs to be in bluetooth range and it uses a hidden WiFi network in the car instead of usb to transmit the screen and audio. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 11:27 AM, dontpannic said:

Is this the first time you're wireless charging? It generates heat regardless and is a slower method of charging - if you're using wireless carplay / audio playback while wirelessly charging, then what you've described sounds pretty normal.

I use Apple’s MagSafe charging on my 14 pro max and never had heat issues. Other models of wireless chargers create a lot of heat though. 

I just got the face lifted Ford Focus ST Line Vignale and was excited about the prospect of no cables… but I’m totally disappointed with it. 

4 minutes ago, MrPickle said:

I use Apple’s MagSafe charging on my 14 pro max and never had heat issues. Other models of wireless chargers create a lot of heat though. 

I just got the face lifted Ford Focus ST Line Vignale and was excited about the prospect of no cables… but I’m totally disappointed with it. 

Because magsafe isn't quite the same, it uses magnets to precisely line up the charging coils to reduce waste heat.

"Normal" wireless chargers have one or multiple coils that only vaguely line up with the phone and therefore produce more heat.

• Thanks 2

I think the heating problem comes if the phone is not centered exactly on the charging coil. The MagSafe charger for iPhones centers the coil exactly and thus generates less waste energy and heat.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Because magsafe isn't quite the same, it uses magnets to precisely line up the charging coils to reduce waste heat.

"Normal" wireless chargers have one or multiple coils that only vaguely line up with the phone and therefore produce more heat.

Anybody know where those coils are in the Focus wireless charger then? As it stands I’m having difficulty finding any ‘sweet spot’ that actually charges the phone

6 minutes ago, MrPickle said:

Anybody know where those coils are in the Focus wireless charger then? As it stands I’m having difficulty finding any ‘sweet spot’ that actually charges the phone

Lift the mat, you can see the charger. It looks like the shape of a 2/3 coil one, but at least lining it up with the charger under the mat is a start.

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Lift the mat, you can see the charger. It looks like the shape of a 2/3 coil one, but at least lining it up with the charger under the mat is a start.

This is what’s under the mat

IMG_2397.jpeg

2 minutes ago, MrPickle said:

This is what’s under the mat

IMG_2397.jpeg

Yeah so the black rectangle is the charger, which lets you line it up a bit better, than just anywhere within that area.

I'm guessing it is 3 overlapping coils because of the shape of it, but you wouldn't know without destructively tearing it apart.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Yeah so the black rectangle is the charger, which lets you line it up a bit better, than just anywhere within that area.

I'm guessing it is 3 overlapping coils because of the shape of it, but you wouldn't know without destructively tearing it apart.

I’ll give it a go with no phone case or mat and see how I get on. Thanks mate! 

You'll probably find the phone won't stay put while you're driving without the mat. I just meant to lift it so you could see where the charger was.

It will definitely work better with the phone out of the case.

• Like 1

Exactly the same here, wireless charging never causes me many heat issues but wireless charging + CarPlay + the hot weather atm is trashing my phone battery. Unfortunate, but I am happy to just use a cable when necessary. This is on the new Mk4.5.

• Sad 1

On 6/15/2023 at 2:16 PM, lukefieldingg said:

Exactly the same here, wireless charging never causes me many heat issues but wireless charging + CarPlay + the hot weather atm is trashing my phone battery. Unfortunate, but I am happy to just use a cable when necessary. This is on the new Mk4.5.

On 6/9/2023 at 4:01 PM, alexp999 said:

You'll probably find the phone won't stay put while you're driving without the mat. I just meant to lift it so you could see where the charger was.

It will definitely work better with the phone out of the case.

You’re right. Plus it doesn’t seem proportionate to disconnect Apple car play just to wireless charge your phone. 

I have an update anyway…

So if I take my iPhone out its case, place it with the camera end at the end farthest away from me, and position the phone around where the actual charger is, IT DOES CHARGE! A 30 min drive will get my about 4% on my 14 pro max with car play on and making calls etc….. lol. 

Verdict = total waste of time.

That being said, in my opinion it was still work upgrading to the ST Line Vignale 4.5. 

Thanks for all your help and tips.  

2 hours ago, MrPickle said:

You’re right. Plus it doesn’t seem proportionate to disconnect Apple car play just to wireless charge your phone. 

I have an update anyway…

So if I take my iphone out its case, place it with the camera end at the end farthest away from me, and position the phone around where the actual charger is, IT DOES CHARGE! A 30 min drive will get my about 4% on my 14 pro max with car play on and making calls etc….. lol. 

Verdict = total waste of time.

That being said, in my opinion it was still work upgrading to the ST Line Vignale 4.5. 

Thanks for all your help and tips.  

If you’ve got it connected via usb for CarPlay it will be charging via the cable not the wireless pad anyway. 

9 hours ago, alexp999 said:

If you’ve got it connected via usb for CarPlay it will be charging via the cable not the wireless pad anyway. 

Isn't it wireless Carplay on the Mk4.5 ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club