Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless fob battery

mitch84

Hi

Just curious really, but how long do you guys find your keyless fobs battery lasts?

I have a fiesta with the keyless fob, mine seems to need replacing every 12-14months roughly. 

Or at least thats how long my last battery I replaced lasted. (Duracell).

Use Energizer or Panasonic and they should last around 3 years or more.

There seems to be a number of people having issues when using Duracell batteries, some only lasting a few months.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Use Energizer or Panasonic and they should last around 3 years or more.

Damn! Just ordered my Duracells by post yesterday!  I'll try to remember this advice next time. Mine last about 2 and a half years.

• Like 2

This reminded me to check my "spare" fob, which I last used in November, when the battery in the other fob failed. It was dead as a dodo, so just finished swapping it.

Both the original batteries lasted 3 years, these (Duracells) had done about 20 and 22 months respectively, though the first failure failed again within 3 days (fake or just an unlucky "dud" I wondered?) and was replaced with another. Got Energizers now.

The battery I've just swapped was still showing 2.9v, so they don't have to drop much from 3.3v when new, before they cease to work.

Worryingly, none of these recent failures has brought up the "key battery low" warning (the originals did) - one day they worked, the next day they didn't.

(My wife's car has key start, so has a fob which has a bladed key and remote buttons. We've had the car nearly 9 years from new and the battery is still original. Even if the fob  battery dies you can still open the doors easily with the key and start with the key as normal, no fiddling about with emergency key blades, losing the cover, locating the key back up position, etc. Is this really progress?😃)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Is this really progress?

I know what you're saying, but I'd say yes, especially now that the key fobs go to sleep after a period of not being moved.  I love being able to walk up to my car, open it, put my sports bag in the back and drive off, all without having to get my keys out of my bag or pocket.

• Like 1

Roger still prefers his proper starting key 🤣

Starting key.JPG

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Even if the fob  battery dies you can still open the doors easily with the key and start with the key as normal, no fiddling about with emergency key blades, losing the cover, locating the key back up position, etc. Is this really progress?😃)

Thank you, a perfect illustration of my ethos on new technology - just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, unofix said:

Roger still prefers his proper starting key 🤣

Lol, my first Ford (Cortina Mk 1) still had the starting handle. Very useful for servicing!

• Like 2

About 2 and half years for one keyfob replaced battery with Duracells, now using my spare key.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 3:20 PM, Nimrodmk8 said:

About 2 and half years for one keyfob replaced battery with Duracells, now using my spare key.

I need to check my spare, I never use it, just stored in a safe place as a backup.

Will try Energisers batteries next time. 

Are they the same number as Duracells, without looking is it 2052?

On 2/2/2023 at 4:55 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

no fiddling about with emergency key blades, losing the cover, locating the key back up position, etc. Is this really progress?😃)

Even then, once in the car there would be no way of starting it, that I know of.

5 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Even then, once in the car there would be no way of starting it, that I know of.

The keyless fob has a passive immobiliser built in.

You put the fob in the backup position (it varies by model) and the car will passively read the chip like it does on cars without keyless.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Most Fords (including Fiesta Mk8 are CR2032 irrespective of brand 😎

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

You put the key in the back up position as I mentioned and Alex confirmed😃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Your memory fails you LOL It may help if you know what the 4 digits are in a battery size. The 1st 2 digits are the diameter in mm, and the second 2 digits are the thickness in mm. So a 2032 battery is 20 mm in diameter, and 3.2mm thick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Most Fords (including Fiesta Mk8 are CR2032 irrespective of brand 😎

What's the backup position?

Wrong quote.

Just now, mitch84 said:

What's the backup position?

mmm.. I think you may be on the wrong site for that, have a 'google', and turn off any parental controls :laugh:

• Haha 3

Ok so I will have to check but I reckon mine may be In the centre storage console.

So in a keyless fob dead battery scenario, is it a case of just placing the key fob in the backup slot and starting car as normal?

1 minute ago, mitch84 said:

Ok so I will have to check but I reckon mine may be In the centre storage console.

So in a keyless fob dead battery scenario, is it a case of just placing the key fob in the backup slot and starting car as normal?

It will say in the manual where the position is. There is usually a symbol on the car to confirm it.

And yes, just put/hold it in the position and start as normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is MK4.5 focus. Fiesta in similar position I think. 

16756857454633118561323428080775.jpg

Yep, as Ian says passive key backup position is in the little tray forward of the gear lever. Remove the mat shown in Ian's pic and place the key fob with buttons facing up. Car should then start on the button as normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:29 PM, unofix said:

Roger still prefers his proper starting key

And he's even holding it correctly to avoid a broken thumb!

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, agraham said:

And he's even holding it correctly to avoid a broken thumb!

Oh yes, very important! Broken a few things in my time, but never the thumb!😃

Just going back to the back up position, manual extract below. It seems much easier to find in the old fashioned paper copy than the version I downloaded off the Ford website:

ACCESSING THE PASSIVE KEY BACKUP POSITION

Image Shown Without Description
  1. Remove the rubber mat.
  1. Place the passive key in the position shown, with the buttons facing upward.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club