Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correct T5 spark plugs for Mk2 1.6 Petrol?

AntonovAN12

I thought I would post another thread for more exposure to this specific question.

A parts supplier I use said that NGK TR5A-10s are the correct plugs for the Mk2 1.6 Petrol engine.

However another supplier's site claims that these are not suitable, and TR5B-13s are the ones I need.

From what I have found, the 10 indicates a 1.0mm electrode gap, while the 13s have a 1.3mm gap.

All other dimensional data for both of these plugs appears to be the same.

Are they interchangeable?

I have read that Ford originally supplied these engines fitted with 13s, but later recommended they were replaced with the 10s. This apparently helped with smoother idling. Is that correct?

If the 10s are not suitable, I can return and exchange them within seven days of the purchase date.

The 1.6 Duratec engine uses the NGK TR5B-13.

Apart from the electrode gap the major difference between the TR5A-10 and the TR5B-13 is the design of the center electrode/insulator. The A stands for a non gasket type spark plug while the B stands for a special design (not further specified) spark plug.

The TR5A-10 is used on the older Zetec S(E) Sigma engines. The newer Duratec Sigma engines have a redesigned cylinder head and use the TR5B-13 spark plugs.

The prescribed spark plug gap for this engine is 1.2 mm. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I returned the incorrect plugs to the supplier. 

sorry to hi-jack but does that mean i will need to get that spark plug too? my engine is mk2 1.6 petrol too.

7 hours ago, froggy8 said:

sorry to hi-jack but does that mean i will need to get that spark plug too? my engine is mk2 1.6 petrol too.

Am I correct that you said in another thread that you have the Ti-VCT engine?

Mine is non Ti-VCT, so I can't say for certain that it uses the same plugs.

Type your registration in at the link below and select spark plugs. I find GSF's site to be the easiest one to use. It is useful to find part numbers even if you don't order the parts from them.

https://www.gsfcarparts.com

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AntonovAN12 said:

Am I correct that you said in another thread that you have the Ti-VCT engine?

Mine is non Ti-VCT, so I can't say for certain that it uses the same plugs.

Type your registration in at the link below and select spark plugs. I find GSF's site to be the easiest one to use. It is useful to find part numbers even if you don't order the parts from them.

https://www.gsfcarparts.com

yes my engine does have the ti in it.

ok, not a problem,  just thought i might be using the wrong plugs for mine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club