Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front End Knocking

DaveB78

Hi I need some advice :( As might be obvious, by my below ramblings, I am not in any way mechanically minded!

I have a 2022 Wildtrack, currently having 12500 miles, that has been fitted with Old Man Emu suspension and a 4" lift kit. All was well for 5-6000 miles then I got a knocking from the front passenger side. I took it to the place who fitted the suspension, who showed me that the shock had snapped and needed replacing. This was replaced, but the knocking remained. I then took it back to a local garage, (the suspension was fitted a good hours drive away) who now showed my that the inner CV boot was all twisted and the grease had escaped, "almost certainly causing the knocking". The suspension guy said he wouldn't have touched the driveshaft at all, but thats another story. Maybe the broken shock caused the CV joint to move? Anyway....

The inner CV joint was definitely rogered as after a while it started making an awful grinding as well as the knocking.

I ordered a full new driveshaft from a reputable online parts store - onlinecarparts.co.uk and took it in to be fitted. I collected it today and for the first couple of miles all was seemingly well (so I assume it was that causing it) but then after a short while the knocking came back, almost as bad as before. I went under the truck out of frustration to try and wobble and knock things around and the new driveshaft at the inner part did seem to have some play (I don't know if thats normal) and did seem to make a similar noise. 

It’s a strange noise though, like, clearly metal on metal, but you can go over certain bumps and the suspension soaks it up lovely, but then other, slightly more acute bumps make it rattle. 

I guess my questions are:

1. Is it likely the noise is the inner CV joint, somehow damaged by the shock failing, or stress from the lift kit etc?
  2. Why would the new one still make the noise? Could it have damaged something at the Diff end, meaning the new one no longer fit?
  3. Is it possible the new one hasn't been fitted properly and needs "tightening"?

Please help, I am at a loss with this!

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Known issue with rangers,put some grease on your lock stops.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club